LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: April 22, 2018, 1:10 pm 

JD, what are those striations running up the wall of the #1 cylinder? Looks very odd. Maybe a chattering reamer during re-machining.
And can you see the crosshatch pattern in the walls? I don't. I saw them clear as day in my 90K mi 4.3L GM engine

They could both be photos not showing properly. But thought I'd mention them.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 22, 2018, 3:20 pm 
Always Moore!

Are the connecting rods hitting the block around TDC or are those areas previously ground for clearance?

PostPosted: April 23, 2018, 7:13 am 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
JD, what are those striations running up the wall of the #1 cylinder? Looks very odd. Maybe a chattering reamer during re-machining.
And can you see the crosshatch pattern in the walls?
Hi Chuck! Welllll... You're half-right. I see that pattern in the picture that looks like vertical ridges on the cylinder wall. It's not there in real life. Some trick of light/shadow and my cheap cell phone camera. The cylinder walls are all smooth as a baby's bee-hind. Which answers your second question... No, the cross-hatch you're asking about is not visible. I really don't remember it ever looking that way, but it's been a while. I'll ask James, his memory cells are quite a bit younger than mine.

a.moore wrote:
Are the connecting rods hitting the block around TDC or are those areas previously ground for clearance?
Andrew! Good to hear from you! I try to visit with your car every time it comes to a Dixie Region event. New owner (Dave?) is taking good care of it. And, to your question, no and no... :mrgreen: The stroker kit I used doesn't require clearancing the bottom of the cylinder walls to leave room for the connecting rods. It's close, but no banana, they don't hit. Those odd-looking "rough places" on the sides of the cylinders have been there from birth. They must be some kind of left-over from the casting process.

Good of both of you to stop by. Always good to hear from friends!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 26, 2018, 5:51 pm 
Always Moore!

Its nice to see he's treating it right. The engine stuff was on the list but I never got to it - he's done a nice job with it.

PostPosted: April 28, 2018, 7:10 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Team Slotus!
Been a busy week here... Grandson turned 1 on Thursday. We were all wrapped up in getting his Mama's house ready for a party tonight (Saturday) including a small pre-party party on Thursday night. Hey, you only turn 1 once, that's a good reason, right?

All the above translates to "Didn't get much done on the car."

I did bring some dinged-up pistons in from the shop and do a little creative artwork while I was drinking an expresso and watching the idiot box. There were several "prints" of the valves on the pistons. Some had little ridges in the relief cuts, about where the two reliefs meet near the center of the piston. Some fine sandpaper and a stiff sponge sanding block took care of that.
Attachment:
04 27 18 Shiny Pistons.jpg

As an added bonus, if you look in the lower left corner of the picture, you can see my big toe! (Don't YOU feel special, now?)

A thorough inspection has shown no major damage to the pistons or rods or even the rings. I'm thinking I might replace the rings anyway, as a precaution. What do y'all think? I can add "rings" to the list of parts I need but can't afford right now... :mrgreen:

Time for a second cup, I'm off to the kitchen!
Peace, Love, and "Community with Chicory"-
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 28, 2018, 11:05 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
As an added bonus, if you look in the lower left corner of the picture, you can see my big toe! (Don't YOU feel special, now?)

Now my day is complete :lol:
Good job on the pistons, but what has me worried is in the upper right part of the picture. If I recollect properly I believe there's an age limit on your toys there. I think it's time for you to let them go............

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: April 28, 2018, 2:01 pm 

horchoha wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:

Now my day is complete :lol:
Good job on the pistons, but what has me worried is in the upper right part of the picture. If I recollect properly I believe there's an age limit on your toys there. I think it's time for you to let them go............

I looked closely. This is not your normal "Mickey Mouse" outfit here. As a matter of fact, maybe that's JD's problem, no Mickey.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 29, 2018, 7:21 am 
We are Slotus!

horchoha wrote:
I believe there's an age limit on your toys there. I think it's time for you to let them go............
But... But... But... I have so much fun playing with them... (Film at 11) And I'm still trying to get all the shapes of wooden blocks in the right shaped hole in the little mailbox on the first try. (And without using a hammer. Tried that the first time. Didn't go well... )

rx7locost wrote:
I looked closely. This is not your normal "Mickey Mouse" outfit here. As a matter of fact, maybe that's JD's problem, no Mickey.
That ain't the whole collection, Chuck. I'm pretty sure there's a Mickey around here somewhere...

You guys are just jealous 'cause you don't have cool toys to play with in your living room! :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and "My Binky!"-
JDK

PostPosted: May 2, 2018, 11:30 pm 

on a more serious note.

if you get new rings get some oversized ones and gap them yourself use this formula :- 0.004" per inch of bore so that would be 0.016 for your 302.

however this must be checked at the bottom of the bore and also about an inch from the top, 0.016 at the bottom and less than0.0.024 at the worn part (top) of the bore, this should be done after a quick hone to bring back the cross hatching, if you have more difference than that you need a rebore.

when i see you, i can offer some suggestions on other parts of the engine rebuild that might help

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: May 3, 2018, 2:56 pm 
We are Slotus!

Thank you Mr. H!
My particular engine was bored .030 over when I installed the stroker kit a year or two ago. It hasn't run all that much since then. (I should get an hour meter, I just thought...) Do you think there would be appreciable wear in that short time?
JDK

PostPosted: May 12, 2018, 7:34 am 
We are Slotus!

Good morning Team Slotus!
Well, yesterday was an event... Quite a day, really. I got to meet Mr. H, John Hennessy, in real life! As some of you probably remember, he's moving to the panhandle of Florida, near the town of Marianna which is about an hour-and-a-half from where I'm having coffee right now. He had also offered to sell me a set of Edelbrock aluminum cylinder heads that would fit the 5.0 in the Slotus. The stars aligned, he was coming to look at his project house and I could escape from work for a while and...

I drove up to the place, and there was a Range Rover sitting there, knew it was the right spot. John was waiting, got out asking if I was the guy to quote the cost of some windows for him. We straightened that out quickly, shook hands and we're off and running. John is quite a guy, with lots of stories and advice and general good fun. I've had the habit of calling him "Mr. Hennessy" because I thought he was quite older than me. Turns out he's not all that old, just been around quite a bit. Packed a lot of experience in his years.

And the accent!!! It took me a while to figure out who/what he reminded me of. Ever seen "The Man Who Would Be King"? Michael Caine plays "Peachy Carnahan" one of the two main characters who go off to become kings of Kaffiristan (or somewhere like that). I had a great lunch listening to engine building/drag racing/life stories with Peachy... I mean Michael... I mean John Hennessy... He even paid for lunch! (Which I don't think Peachy would have done.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucKHRfso7nw

Oh, and I got some good looking cylinder heads, rocker arms and valve covers out of the deal as well. Helluva day. Great day.

John, when you come back to FL, please let me know. I owe ya one (or maybe two)!

Peace, Love and "Peachy"-
JDK

PostPosted: May 12, 2018, 10:36 am 

So, does this mean you have someone to play with now besides the new grandchild? That would be nice.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 13, 2018, 7:32 am 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie-S wrote:
So, does this mean you have someone to play with now besides the new grandchild? That would be nice.
HI Lonnie! Yes, John's new place is close enough we could meet up for some shenanigans from time to time. I suspect we both have a batch of stories for the "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was" category.

However, he's gonna have to go some to replace my little astronaut:
Attachment:
Astrophysicist 5 5 2018.jpeg

JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 13, 2018, 7:40 am 
We are Slotus!

Cylinder head clean-up, day 1:
Attachment:
05 12 18 Cylinder Head 1.jpg
Attachment:
05 12 18 Cylinder Head 2.jpg
John had told me they were "as is when removed" and that they'd sat in his garage with the desert wind blowing dust and dirt on them for a few years. True enough, they did have some oil and some dirt on them, but nothing a good soap-and-water wash couldn't take care of. Now, on to the real cleaning, getting the gasket remains off the intake/exhaust ports and working on combustion chambers with the scotch-brite pad... Stay tuned!

OK, one more... "Glamor Shot":
Attachment:
05 12 18 Cylinder Head 4.jpg

Peace, Love and "Oooh, Shiny!"-
JDK

PostPosted: May 13, 2018, 9:31 am 

Your granddaughter is adorable, JD. Man, they grow up fast. It just seems like a few months since you were telling us about her birth.

It's great that you have those lighter, aluminum cylinder heads now. It's almost summer and the start of eatin' season. So, that weight savings is gunna made those extra servings of barbecue OK this year. I think puttin' our machinery on a diet instead of our own selves is what God intended, don't you? :thmbsup:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250 ... 316  Next