LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: September 13, 2016, 11:15 am 

Geez I thought after so many years these chicken suit stories would be forgotten, but they still come back to haunt me :oops:

Whose your source JD, is it this guy below? Wait'll I get my hands on him! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3j7fjzJvnA

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: September 13, 2016, 1:13 pm 
We are Slotus!

davew wrote:
NO NO NO chickens do not have fingers!!! They peck at the key broad
Uhhh.... Dave, are you saying Perry has been typing with his... pecker??? :ack:
(Sorry, admins... The Devil made me do it... Called me a chicken...)

Perry, it's a new millennium... We've been taught to be tolerant of others, no matter how diverse their preferences might be... So iffen you wanna wear you chicken suit, you just go right ahead!

Based on Dave's observation above, however, I am a bit concerned about your typing methods. On second thought, no, I don't wanna know... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 15, 2016, 11:22 am 
Always Moore!

As I've always said, "Everyone is entitled to their opinion (even if it's wrong)". :mrgreen:

PostPosted: September 15, 2016, 12:05 pm 
We are Slotus!

a.moore wrote:
As I've always said, "Everyone is entitled to their opinion (even if it's wrong)". :mrgreen:
You got something against chicken suits? Or am I missing the point? Me, I been wrong so many times about so many things that it doesn't even count any more! :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 24, 2016, 8:28 am 
We are Slotus!

Welllll, lemme see... Where were we? Something about a chicken suit... Or was that chicken soup? No matter...

The back is feeling better... I still go for the Alleve almost every morning, but it mostly doesn't bother me. Damn this getting/being old!!!

A bit of a review: As part of the engine rebuild, I also decided to re-do the exhaust and get rid of the "under the sump" exhaust system. My original intent was to have duals, with one pipe on either side. When we were fitting up headers, that didn't seem do-able, so we ran the driver's side under the sump. Now, with the motor out of the chassis any-hoo, seemed like a good time to re-visit that thang.

If I use the "shorty" style header for a Mustang but install it bass-ackwards -as in, the collector is at the front- then I can route the pipe around the footbox and out the side of the car behind the front wheels. It can then travel alonside the chassis, have a real muffler, and the tailpipe can be just in front of the rear wheel. Only one teensy l'il problem... The header doesn't quite clear the side of the footbox. So, I says to my-own-self, I'll just rebuild the footbox. Sure, easy, no prob...

There's a story about a guy that owns a boat. He decides to replace a light bulb in one of his running lights. Then he notices the fixture is rusty. Then he notices the wires are in bad shape. Then he notices the switch is corroded. Then... You get the idea. By the end of the story, he's homeless, divorced, $187,000.00 in debt, but he's got a great lookin' boat! This project is sort of like that.

I started re-doing the sheet metal on the 'box. It needed a recessed area near the lid. Being the brilliant guy I am, I almost immediately ditched the idea of forming and shaping the sheet metal I needed and instead, decided to re-purpose a loaf pan for baking bread. I bought two of them for a couple bucks each at WalMart. Cutting the sides off about an inch deep and cutting one end off made the perfect shape. "Cool!" I says to me-self. WRONG...

Test fitting the engine again with the sheet metal off the footbox showed that the vertical tube on the right front corner of the box was also in the way. The vertical tube that was the mount for the accelerator pedal and cable... Dammit!

OK, so I'll cut out that tube and move it over a bit. Ohhhh... And the accelerator pedal assembly won't fit there. Hits the brake master cylinder.

OK, so I'll re-build the accelerator assembly. It'll need to be bent over top and bottom so the hinge point is in front of the new tube, but the top and bottom are moved toward the center of the car about an inch or so.

And then, depression set in...
Attachment:
Depression.png
I remembered that Earl's welder was broken... Then there was the whole "Hurricane and a week without power" including "Buying an expensive generator with the welder fund" and the "OMG, my back hurts!" and so on and so forth... :( :( :( :roll:

I gotta go get some more coffee... And release the previous cups back into the groundwater system... I'll resume the tale momentarily... Stay tuned!

:cheers:
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 24, 2016, 10:16 am 
We are Slotus!

OK, back for round 2. Sorry for the delay, I went out to the shop and took some pictures. And then more coffee. And then there was this leftover slice of pizza in the fridge...

After we got our power back on, and moved back into the house and cleaned up a bit and the spinal column was mostly under control... The welder was still broke. At that moment, when all was dark, HamDip came to the rescue!!!

She found a big yard sale on Craigslist. Amongst other stuff, there was this li'l ol' Lincoln welder...
Attachment:
9 24 16 Welder.jpg
That afternoon, it was MY Lincoln welder. Earl went with me to buy it, and wound up taking home a set of acetylene torches. Both purchases were $200 bucks. I think we did good. HamDip, who wasn't aware Earl was looking for a torch set, says we're not allowed to go to any more yard sales together.

I practiced on some scrap. It's comin' together, and I can't say I'm good at it, but I can stick two pieces together and they won't come apart...
Attachment:
9 17 16 Practice Weld.jpg
Yeah, I know... Moti still don't work here...

But, using some 1/8 X 1 flat steel and a few bits of tubing, I put together a properly bent accelerator pedal and the mounting pieces to attach it to the new vertical. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the piece before we put it in the car last night. Sooo, this will have to do...
Attachment:
9 24 16 Footbox3.jpg
I gots a bunch of dressing up of raw edges to do, but it's in there and it works. You can also see the cutout in the panel where the kitchen ware goes. Speaking of baking pans...
Attachment:
9 24 16 Loaf Pan - Biggest piece of.jpg
Actually that was pan #1, which didn't quite fit, so we moved on to pan #2, seen here in place but still needing some trimming-
Attachment:
9 24 16 Footbox5.jpg
And, soon as I finish this post and that last cup o' coffee, I'm gonna go fit some sheet metal and get back to putting an engine in the car. (That was the original goal, remember?)

Anyway, what are y'all doing this weekend? Nothing? Well, then, come on down!!!
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 24, 2016, 10:53 am 
The voice of reason

All this will remind you, "No Loafing Around!".

PostPosted: September 24, 2016, 12:16 pm 
We are Slotus!

horizenjob wrote:
All this will remind you, "No Loafing Around!".
You has gotta be kiddin me! This is Team Slotus, where loafin' is a way of life! :roll:

Earl also observed that it's a "No Stick" pan, so he says even if it gets hot sitting next to the header, the skin on your knee won't stick to it, thus making clean-up of the footbox easier. (With friends like that...) :roll: And, BTW, I'm planning to put some dyna-mat on it, so as to conserve the skin on my purty l'il knees.

Other'n that, Marcus, how the heck are ya? Done any welding on your Car9 chassis lately? Wanna come down here and practice up on the Slotus first? I was just outside, and the temp is only 89 at the moment, so fall weather is here. Come on down!

JDK

PostPosted: September 25, 2016, 12:50 pm 
We are Slotus!

Cleaning up the chassis/belly pan this morning, so I can start putting stuff back together and talking to myself...
"Now just where in the H_LL did all these little rocks come from?"
"Oh... No front fenders... Yeah..."

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: September 26, 2016, 1:14 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Actually that was pan #1, which didn't quite fit, so we moved on to pan #2, seen here in place but still needing some trimming

OMGoodness I hope Betty Crocker doesn't follow this build, she'd go off the deep end seeing those loaf pans.

On the other hand, it took the heat off the chicken suit discussion. :cheers: :lol:

PostPosted: September 26, 2016, 10:50 am 
We are Slotus!

horchoha wrote:
OMGoodness I hope Betty Crocker doesn't follow this build, she'd go off the deep end seeing those loaf pans.

On the other hand, it took the heat off the chicken suit discussion. :cheers: :lol:
I'm pretty sure Betty Crocker, or any other decent-minded, sane individual for that matter, would have abandoned this build log a looooooonnnnnggggg time ago. About page 5 or so...

I can't say from any personal experience, but I bet those chicken suits are really hot in warm weather.
Aren't they, Perry??? :mrgreen:
Attachment:
Chicken Suit Burt R.jpg

Good to hear from ya, Bro... No matter what you're wearing... Bok-bok-bok...

JD

PostPosted: October 5, 2016, 1:34 am 

Hey JD
Is Mathew coming close to you? Just watching the news here and it looks like sh1t is gonna hit the fan down there.

Ya know sometimes -40F, mosquitos, and horseflies isn't that bad.

PostPosted: October 5, 2016, 7:54 am 
We are Slotus!

horchoha wrote:
Is Mathew coming close to you? Just watching the news here and it looks like sh1t is gonna hit the fan down there.

Ya know sometimes -40F, mosquitos, and horseflies isn't that bad.
Yo, Perry-
Thanks for askin', Bro. I appreciate your concern, honest! :mrgreen:

You got a point there... I'd take a few -40 nights in trade for a hurricane...

The current predictions show ol' Mattie Baby skimming up the east coast and the winds/rain reaching inland allllmost to Tallahassee. That'll be plenty close enough, but I don't think we'd have any real problems here... IF those predictions are correct.

Florida's funny "upside down backward L" shape is deceptive, and lots of folks don't realize the scale of it all. From here to JAX is almost 200 miles east. From here to P'cola is just over 200 miles west. From JAX to Key West is about 500 miles, by the way... It's just that neither leg of the "L" is very wide!

Taking all that into account, if Matthew stays on the east coast, we should be fine. Should be... If Matthew stays on the coast... If the predictions are right... :shock: I'll keep ya posted...

How's your permafrost doing? :mrgreen:

JDK

PostPosted: October 7, 2016, 9:15 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo, Perry-
Thanks for askin', Bro. I appreciate your concern, honest! :mrgreen:

You got a point there... I'd take a few -40 nights in trade for a hurricane...
JDK

So, you okay? Or is yours still come come later today?

G'03

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: October 7, 2016, 9:26 am 

JD Is it kite flying weather yet in Tally?

Just a few showers so far here in the Lowcountry of SC

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 316  Next