LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: November 21, 2018, 3:47 pm 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
You must be stressing that engine. Like Top Fuel Dragster's do. Those get torn down after each run! We should give you a new name "Big Daddy JD" Sounds about right for a Southerner. :cheers:
Ha! I kinda like it! And you are right, it sho' do sound Southern.

I'm not sure if I should admit to it in front of this group, but the girls (HamDip and Hand Grenade) gave me the title "Papa Bear" some years ago. Jamie, my grand-daughter picked it up, she thinks that's my actual name. I'm sure that when Ducky starts to talk, they'll teach him the same.

So, thanks for the thought Chuck, but I think I'll stick with "Papa Bear" for now. Jamie yells "My Papa Bear!" when she sees me. That's hard to beat. I feel certain you understand... :mrgreen:

Lonnie-S wrote:
Holy cow, JD, that vehicle is starting to look like a real, genuine race car. I like those body panels and the louvers are really cool too.
Thanks, Lonnie! 'Preciate that... I told TWWTFM yesterday that I was amazed at how much more "finished" the car looked, just from adding those two little pieces of aluminum. Funny how much it changes the appearance.

The louvers are ABS plastic, came from West Marine. They call them "ventilators" but we know they're louvers... :mrgreen:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--slotted-ventilators--P012_363_002_500?recordNum=1
Allyne/Hand Grenade gave them to me last year for birthday or Christmas or something. Add a little green paint and they's kinda special, doncha tink? 8)

And I hope you two and all the rest of the folks in here have a good Thanksgiving!

:cheers:
Peace, Love and "Oyster Dressing" --
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 21, 2018, 9:11 pm 

I was only kiddin yer about the hillclimbs. I've followed this build from the beginning (although I've had to catch it all up this year) so I've sympathised with all your tribulations...
If I might add: the green now, with black, is phenomenalliall-thing... (What he said...) And the louvres are phenom.... (As before...).

Lizards - R - Us... Where I am the lizards come in out of the heat... lol.

PostPosted: November 28, 2018, 8:55 am 
We are Slotus!

Mornin' Y'all-
Lemme see, where were we? Oh yeah, Thanksgiving, turkey, etc...

Then I worked on the front end alignment on the Slotus, got it into some semblance of camber/toe order. We had hoped to get it up to Earl's shop in Valdosta to put it on a real alignment machine, but that didn't happen. So it was digital angle meter, boards and tape measures. I think I gots it about right... Maybe... Got about 2.2 neg camber and a wee bit of toe out, somewhere just under 1/8 inch. (3/32? Like I can read fractions that well... HA!)

Then I moved to the rear. What a pain in the (Dog) A$$... Best I can tell, the bolt in the front of the passenger side lower control arm has seized in the ball of the heim joint. I could rotate the bolt with my fingers. It appeared the ball was turning with it. But no turning, prying, levering or beating on it would remove the bolt from the heim and the br@cket. After about an hour of fiddle-f@rting around with it, using up all the profane names I could think of (I'm in the well drilling business, I know a LOT of profane names!) and generally making noise for nothing, I just gave up and did the toe adjustment all on the rear half of the control arms.

That actually didn't work out all that bad, since I wanted to go from toe-out to toe-in at the rear, it was kinda logical to just extend the rear heims a bit (upper and lower). When it was all said (profanely!) and done, I had about 2.0 neg camber and 3/32 (See note above) toe in at the rear. I'll take it, especially that toe in because I don't wanna do that routine again!

This Sunday is our big end-of-the-year autocross event, Allies-vs-Axis. I'm gonna go and wave the flag for the American side and see if the damned thing will hold together for four or five runs. Stay tuned...

Peace, Love and "That #$%^&*@##%# BOLT!"-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 28, 2018, 8:44 pm 

Such a palaver, JD... but at least a real-life LocostUSA solution...
Good luck with the Allies.

PostPosted: November 30, 2018, 11:04 am 

just remember that adding toe out moves the ackaman forward so watch out for the inner rear wheel cutting the corners.

if you feel that you can't get the back round then take some out.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: December 3, 2018, 4:59 pm 
We are Slotus!

Race Report: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness... No, wait, that was "A Tale of Two Cities"... My bad, sorry...

Although, the event Sunday was kinda like that. The best of times was that the engine ran flawlessly, the thumpa-thumpa in the drivetrain is cured and most importantly, nothing broke, fell off or caught fire. Early in the day, the pavement was wet and slippery as owl doo-doo, but only a light rain was falling. TWWTFM caught a good shot of me and the DogAss Slotus before the rains came-
Attachment:
Allies vs Axis 2018.jpg
I couldn't corner worth a damn on the wet pavement, but the drivetrain was solid.

The worst of times was the weather...
Attachment:
Allies vs Axis Last Run 2018.JPG
That was the last run of the day. (The age of wisdom) It was insane... Grid asked me if I was sure I wanted to go, I said yes (The age of foolishness), so he sent me. It was raining a little bit as I pulled up to the line. As the starter was telling me to go, there was a gust of wind and the skies fell. I understand that I was throwing rooster tails off the back tires going down the front side of the course. It slid all over the place in the slalom... The front tires were only suggesting to the chassis that it turn... I couldn't see three cones in front of me, was driving with one hand and wiping my visor with the other. At the turn-around point, there was standing water. The car hydroplaned. I don't mean the tires, I mean the entire car hydroplaned. Seriously, for a moment I couldn't steer and touching the gas pedal induced that ZIZZ sound of wheelspin. Enough water came in the footbox to fill up my left shoe. The right was a bit drier... only 3/4 full. I got water in my mouth and on my face with a closed face helmet on. I'm praying it was rainwater...

A buddy of mine caught the finish on video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7JTkifopv1J9WiCY9 Note the bow wave... :mrgreen:

After that last run in the downpour, maybe I should change it to the DampAss Slotus...

So, what did y'all do on Sunday? :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and Wet Shoes-
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 3, 2018, 5:16 pm 

JD,
Glad to hear that the engine ran flawlessly and that you got some seat time before the end of the season.
Since you asked, I got to shovel snow on Sunday.

Time to hibernate.
Ron

PostPosted: December 3, 2018, 5:52 pm 

Somehow getting soaking wet can't ruin some good moments. Know you had a blast despite being wet. And congratulations on getting the car sorted.

Now try to survive until next season!

PostPosted: December 3, 2018, 5:55 pm 

Sounds like Slotus is ready just in time for Axis vs Allies
:thmbsup:

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: December 3, 2018, 6:24 pm 
We are Slotus!

TooBusy wrote:
Sounds like Slotus is ready just in time for Axis vs Allies
:thmbsup:

That report and pics were from Allies-vs-Axis, first weekend in December.
Oh, and by the way, the Allies won... Again... :mrgreen:

JDK

PostPosted: December 3, 2018, 6:34 pm 
We are Slotus!

Tommy, Larry, Ron-
Thank you all for stopping by and sayin' Howdy.

Larry, you are correct, it was a good day in spite of nearly drowning and Ron, it beat the hell outta shoveling snow!
Tommy, you should come up for an A-vs-A some time. It's a hoot! (Just be sure to bring an American or British car!)

JDK

PostPosted: December 3, 2018, 8:28 pm 

Hey, JD, congratulations on a successful run with your Slotus. You weren't kidding about that bow wave. You're much braver than I am. The windshield wipers on your friends car gave a nice Film Noir kind of effect to that video, though.

What did we do on Sunday? We forced our San Diego, weather-wimp, selves out into the cold (65° F), but sunny weather to attend a Christmas party in a nearby town. I was the designated driver, so I couldn't even drink, but the company was excellent, and we had fun anyway.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 3, 2018, 8:32 pm 

You've hit the big time. IndyCar doesn't have a full-on rain tire 'cause their cars become boats when they hit a mud puddle, just like your Slotus. I bet that F1 is the same way as well.

Congrats on having a mechanical trauma-free day!

Does this mean that Slotus is "well-sorted"?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: December 3, 2018, 11:44 pm 

Woo Hoo! Yipee! Hip Hip, and all that! BADA$$ Slotus runs again :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: December 4, 2018, 2:01 am 

Wow... so pleased... That should get you through the winter with a grin on your face... This post has certainly put a smile on mine.
[When do you get the VIN...??]

"owl doo-doo" - only from JD...!
Did the starter ask what the Dickens you thought you were trying to prove...?
"the entire car hydroplaned" - and you tried to accelerate...!!???
"Note the bow wave" - I thought it was Bluebird...!!
"So, what did y'all do on Sunday?" - 'If you've got it, flaunt it...!' - Forget Sunday - this made my Monday.

[NB: I'm not sure your rollbar is far enough forward - 'Winter-Work' - fabricate a 'halo'...]

Repeat... so pleased...!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274 ... 316  Next