LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: February 16, 2010, 11:10 pm 
We are Slotus!

Howdy Y'all-
I'm "JD" and I've been a car nut for as long as I remember. Wrote a fan letter to Carroll Shelby back when most folks were watching the Beatles... Watched the Ford GT's win Lemans the same summer we watched Neil A walk on the moon... Been an SCCA racer for a few dozen years, most lately in G Production with "Lucretia", my ever-faithful MGB.

I've been snooping around on this site, as well as searching the 'net and reading a few books (Great job, Keith, loved your book!) and generally feeding my addiction. It got to where I felt kind of guilty for secretly invading your lives (especially Rod, with that wondermus 302 Locost build!) and seemed like I ought to introduce myself.

I started gathering parts and drawing diagrams and downloading plans back about February '09, and I think I've reached critical mass, that "Geronimo" moment when ya step off into the abyss and build something. Along the way, I hope to learn some stuff (like perfecting my welding skills) and make some new friends.

Peace, Love & Pushrods-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Last edited by GonzoRacer on February 24, 2011, 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: February 16, 2010, 11:15 pm 
We are Slotus!

First step, I put together a build table. There are pics of it in "Off Topic" but it looks like this:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 16, 2010, 11:24 pm 
Auto Motive, My friends call me Motive

Welcome. Put a sheet of MDF on the bottom of your table will make it much stiffer.

PostPosted: February 16, 2010, 11:33 pm 
We are Slotus!

Shortly after the build table was set up, I started cutting and fitting steel. I had already decided to go with 1.5 inch square steel, as opposed to the standard 1 inch material. I'm wanting to put a V8 in here, and will be using it for hill climbs and such. Seemed like a good choice. (I have no knowledge of engineering, it just seemed like a good choice.)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 16, 2010, 11:46 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hi Motive-
Yes, it would, you're right. However, being the slacker that I am, I took the pics of the table about a month ago. There's a lot of stuff on it now, and it would be tough to work on it. Chuck had made a similar observation in "Off Topic" where there are some other pics of the table. I gotta post things quicker, before it's too late to fix my goof-ups...

But, as you can see below, things moved along from the table to fun stuff. Built a cage for the squidgy organic part (me) to ride in, and continued outward from there.

Note- No part of the frame and cage are finished at this point. There are lots of things missing, especially in the rear bulkhead area.

PostPosted: February 16, 2010, 11:51 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Please buy a proper full-face mask.

PostPosted: February 16, 2010, 11:56 pm 
We are Slotus!

I plan on using a Ford 8.8 solid axle from an Explorer, with the offset differential. The pinion is 2 3/16 inch off-center to the right (pass side) in those. I will offset the engine/tranny the same amount. That will A) Make more seat room for my pudgy l'il arse and B) Help balance the car with the afore-mentioned pudgy arse sitting offset to the left.

Speaking of tranny's, I bought a T-5 from a Craigslist ad in town. The PO said it was from an 87 Mustang GT. My bud James (You'll see more of him as we go along) checked it out and agreed it was from a V8. James is a Ford mechanic, knows his stuff in that department. Any-hoo, paid $320 for it. Seemed like a deal at the time. I'll let ya'll know...

PostPosted: February 17, 2010, 12:04 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Built a cage for the squidgy organic part (me) to ride in

I had to laugh out loud. "squidgy" is what we call our two year old's saggy, wet diapers! Hope the definition is alittle different when describing you!

I second the face shield and grind so sparks are flying away from you. If your grinding wheel decided to come apart you're going to have more than sparks trying to get into your eyes! I've only had it happen once with a new brand name wheel, hit my arm and chest and it didn't feel good at all.

PostPosted: February 17, 2010, 12:17 am 
We are Slotus!

motive wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:
Built a cage for the squidgy organic part (me) to ride in

I had to laugh out loud. "squidgy" is what we call our two year old's saggy, wet diapers! Hope the definition is alittle different when describing you!

I second the face shield and grind so sparks are flying away from you. If your grinding wheel decided to come apart you're going to have more than sparks trying to get into your eyes! I've only had it happen once with a new brand name wheel, hit my arm and chest and it didn't feel good at all.

Depending on who you ask, there might not be all that much difference in me and... well, "squidgy"...
Actually, I think I stole that description of the driver from Jeremy Clarkson of "Top Gear".

10-4 on the face shield. There's one in the shop somewhere... Makes my glasses fog and I'm basically lazy. No excuse... I know better. And, actually, the reason the sparks look so big in the pic is that they are flying away from me, toward the camera. Got enough holes in my T-shirts, thankyewverrymutch. I had a DeW... uhh, brand name grinding wheel self-destruct a couple of years ago. No harm, no foul, but it got my attention.

Speaking of that cage for my squidginess, it's made of 1.5 inch diameter .095 wall DOM tubing, as per SCCA specs.

PostPosted: February 17, 2010, 12:59 am 

yep. DeWal... here too.

PostPosted: February 17, 2010, 2:28 am 

motive wrote:
yep. DeWal... here too.

DeWalt makes decent grinders (i have one) but i really don't trust them for my disks

PostPosted: February 17, 2010, 9:15 am 

Glad to see you finally started a build log.

Quote:
Please buy a proper full-face mask.

I'll tripple that. I have had meal bits embedded in my eye twice now. Once was while grinding with full wrap around goggles (it came in thru one of the vent holes in the sides) and once while grinding with a full face shield (it bounced off my shirt and up under the mask) The full face shield will protect you from larger pieces flying toward your face. The point is that you can't be too carefull.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 17, 2010, 6:39 pm 
The voice of reason

Looks like your off to a great start, JD. It's very similar to how I want to do my frame, so I'll be happy to watch this! :cheers:

PostPosted: February 17, 2010, 8:32 pm 

motive wrote:
Welcome. Put a sheet of MDF on the bottom of your table will make it much stiffer.

A bit late on this one but for future builders....... It also gives you a cheap 'second' table when the first one gets covered in pencil marks, burnt from welding, holes cut in it for clamps etc. Just flip the table over and you've got a brand new surface. It's tough to do if your not using saw horses, or some other temporary support, however.

PostPosted: February 17, 2010, 9:14 pm 

Awesome to see another build get started! Congrats and good luck! Mallock tribute should be interesting!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 316  Next