LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: August 2, 2018, 2:17 pm 
We are Slotus!

seven13bt wrote:
My $0.02, Bare metal with Fel-Pro head gaskets. Use sealant with the intake manifold gasket around the front water passages.
Hi Ron! Saw your little rocket ship was up and running. Nice video!

The instructions from Edelbrock said to use Fel Pro gasket P/N 9333-PT1, so that's what I got. Since I posted that question, I have talked with my partially housebroken Ford mechanic/Son-in-Law Earl who said the same thing you did. So that's two votes for the "bare metal" approach from smart people.

Those Fords do like to weep coolant and/or oil around the corners of the intake (oil) and some of the water passages. I have a tube of gray Ford-branded RTV sitting on my work table for just that purpose. Thanks for reminding me, though. I keep saying I need adult supervision... And it's TRUE!

Thanks for stopping by!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 2, 2018, 6:31 pm 

seven13bt wrote:
My $0.02, Bare metal with Fel-Pro head gaskets. Use sealant with the intake manifold gasket around the front water passages.

Ditto :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: August 2, 2018, 6:45 pm 

OK guys, this is a serious inquiry (I know, unheard of in one of Gonzo's threads, right) involving the internals of the classic Small Block Ford engine. What's with the eyebrow above the intake valve pocket in the tops of the pistons? Anybody???

Last edited by ngpmike on August 2, 2018, 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: August 2, 2018, 7:00 pm 
Toyotaphobe

ngpmike wrote:
OK guys, this is a serious inquiry (I know, unheard of in one of Gonzo's threads, right) involving the internals the classic Small Block Ford engine. What's with the eyebrow above the intake valve pocket in the tops of the pistons? Anybody???

It was the pistons being surprised that JD got them in.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: August 2, 2018, 7:56 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
ngpmike wrote:
OK guys, this is a serious inquiry (I know, unheard of in one of Gonzo's threads, right) involving the internals the classic Small Block Ford engine. What's with the eyebrow above the intake valve pocket in the tops of the pistons? Anybody???

It was the pistons being surprised that JD got them in.

I believe you are right. There is a wink and a smirk on the piston. It might just have a hidden surprise waiting for JD to find it, probably on his 1st outing. OH NO! I didn't mean to write that. I do wish him the best of luck on this build. Really I do! :cheers:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 2, 2018, 8:05 pm 

Trick Flow twisted wedge heads have relocated valves / valve angles.

PostPosted: August 3, 2018, 12:56 am 
We are Slotus!

seven13bt wrote:
Trick Flow twisted wedge heads have relocated valves / valve angles.
Ahh, a voice of wisdom, here in this vast wilderness...

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 3, 2018, 8:58 am 

JD, it is heart warming to see you upholding the finest Slotus standards for the next generation. Teach 'em young before they become corrupted!

Bill
It is truly amazing how we can look but not see.

PostPosted: August 3, 2018, 10:52 am 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie-S wrote:
Castanets can sound pretty dramatic, though. ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c99UUzD ... mM&index=2
Ha! Finally opened that video... Yeah, castanets as wielded by two hot Spanish chicks in fancy dresses are pretty cool. However, I've heard noises like that from an engine and while does qualify as "dramatic" it ain't at all cool. :mrgreen: Thanks for the visual, Lonnie! 8)

Mike, it's what Ron said. The pistons are intended for use with a variety of heads. Some use the "stock" valve angles/positions, others require a "cut" where that eyebrow is... Ya learn something new every day... :mrgreen:

Bill Blue- Hey, good to hear from you! Yeah, we have standards to live down to here at Team Slotus and we do our best (Worst?) to maintain them! :mrgreen:

Chuck- Tryin' to voodoo me, are ya? No need, I make my own bad luck. I took a shop towel and wiped the smirk off that piston's face. Literally... Wiped it right off... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: August 3, 2018, 1:21 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:

Chuck- Tryin' to voodoo me, are ya? No need, I make my own bad luck. I took a shop towel and wiped the smirk off that piston's face. Literally... Wiped it right off... :mrgreen:

You think a little shop towel can undo centuries of real voodoo? Ha!

Honestly JD, I don't know why I keep jinxing your build. You have to admit, it was a good smirk! :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 3, 2018, 8:01 pm 

Remember, JD, we can get you some help.
Attachment:
Voodoo Man.jpg

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 4, 2018, 1:37 am 

Quote:
Mike, it's what Ron said. The pistons are intended for use with a variety of heads. Some use the "stock" valve angles/positions, others require a "cut" where that eyebrow is... Ya learn something new every day... :mrgreen:

That's why I asked, so's I could learn sumpthin"! Being a die-hard Chebbie guy, the only Ford motor I've ever rebuilt was a 312" Y-Block out of an old F-100 that I useta had!

Thnx 4 the lesson!

PostPosted: August 4, 2018, 8:35 am 
We are Slotus!

ngpmike wrote:
That's why I asked, so's I could learn sumpthin"! Being a die-hard Chebbie guy, the only Ford motor I've ever rebuilt was a 312" Y-Block out of an old F-100 that I useta had!
Ha! Wish you still had it? Don't feel bad, I'm definitely still on a learning curve about Fords and engines in general. (Lesson 1: Don't put pistons in upside down. Lesson 2: More importantly, don't post pictures of it.)

The engines I've worked on most were the ol' 1800cc MGB lump and a late model Jag Twin-Cam Six. (With the occasional MG Midget, MGA or even a TR6 thrown in.) While I'm not familiar -at all- with working on Chevvies, I have been present when 4 or 5 of 'em blew up. The company I worked for in WV way back when had a fleet of Chevy 4X4 field vehicles. They got thoroughly abused. We used to say if GM knew what we did to their trucks, they would either make us the stars of their next TV commercial or have us arrested. (More likely the latter...)

But hey, this is Team Slotus, we don't judge, we welcome all people... Even Chevy fans... :rofl:
Come on back any time!
:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: August 4, 2018, 2:18 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Ha! Wish you still had it?

Not particularly! That engine was 20 years old at the time (late 70s) and parts were already getting hard to find. The Y-Block design must have come with one helluva weight penalty because when I replaced that ol' lump and its three-spd tranny with a BBC and a Turbo 400, the front springs didn't sag one little bit! :shock:

PostPosted: August 4, 2018, 3:38 pm 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie-S wrote:
Remember, JD, we can get you some help.
Hey Lonnie! Don't call in the artillery yet... I performed an exorcism this afternoon, casting out the evil (and somewhat smirky) spirits from the motor.
Attachment:
08 04 18 Casting Out Evil Spirits.jpg
After annointing my tonsils with holy (and Fizzy) water and placing the Sacred Octagon talisman on the motor, I called out the evil spirits in the name of the Father (Henry Ford) and the Son (Arthur Mallock) and the Holy Ghost (Colin Chapman*). I even pointed at them with two fingers like the Pope does on TV. I might also have accidentally mentioned Chuck by name... :mrgreen:

I think we're good to go now. If I don't get struck by lightning for this irreverent post. I'm also concerned that my Mama (1917-2006) may slap me on the back of the head at any minute.

*I feel certain that Mr. Chapman would want to be the Ghost, because anything else would be too much weight.

Oh, and aside from all that silliness, I also managed to test fit and start on installing the cylinder heads. To put the Edelbrock heads on the 302 block, I had to install bushings to center the head bolts in the holes in the cylinder head that are oversize for a 302, but work just fine on a 351. They're cute little boogers, see--
Attachment:
08 04 18 Head Bolt Bushings.jpg
They replace the washers on the head bolts, and just push into the holes in the head with a well aimed finger.
Attachment:
08 04 18 Head Bolt Bushings2.jpg

Next thing was positioning the head gaskets, which hang nicely on the two corner stud locations with the stick-ups, and then put the heads in place.
Attachment:
08 04 18 Heads Going On.jpg
So, are THOSE damned things on right-side-up??? :mrgreen:

And now, TWWTFM tells me it's time to shower off and go to Hand Grenade's house to get our grandson, Ducky. Then dinner with HamDip and JJ and we keep the little guy over night. He's just past 1 year old, so he really doesn't catch on to the off-color rugby songs I try to teach him, but there's plenty of time for that. Gotta raise 'em up right, don't we Bill/BBlue?

And that's all the news from this corner of the continent. What are y'all up to?

Peace, Love and Holy Fizzy Water-
JDK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256 ... 316  Next