LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: August 20, 2014, 8:18 am 

Shirley you can't be serious.

Cheapy shows what I did on the rear axle for TETANUS. Between the adjustments on the spring perches of the HD shocks and the 3 holes on my mount, I had 9 preload and ride height settings.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: August 20, 2014, 9:09 am 
The voice of reason

If I remember right, a few days ago he disconnected his battery charger. I think JD is just running a little low now and some one needs to go over there and hook him up again...

PostPosted: August 20, 2014, 8:16 pm 
We are Slotus!

TooBusy wrote:
Shirley you can't be serious. [SNIP] Between the adjustments on the spring perches of the HD shocks and the 3 holes on my mount, I had 9 preload and ride height settings.

NINE settings??? Dang, Bubba would NEVER figger that out. :mrgreen:
And stop callin' me Shirley!!!!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 20, 2014, 8:23 pm 
We are Slotus!

horizenjob wrote:
If I remember right, a few days ago he disconnected his battery charger. I think JD is just running a little low now and some one needs to go over there and hook him up again...

Nahhhh, I'm fine.... Had a nice nap in the lab, slept like a baby and I feel great! See?
Attachment:
Young-Frankenstein.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 5:24 am 

Just thinking out a loud JD, if you made this up with a nut welded on (purple) with a bolt (yellow) you could make your ride height quickly adjustable. You would need a load spreading plate under the bolt of course.

Attachment:
Gonzo 2.jpg

GonzoRacer wrote:
I have asked you time and time again, please DO NOT call me Shirley in front of the guys... :oops:

Well if you took your wig off I wouldn't get confused.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 7:38 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
if you made this up with a nut welded on (purple) with a bolt (yellow) you could make your ride height quickly adjustable.

Hmmm.... Interesting idea, CR... Would it pivot on the original shock mount holes? And what would keep it from "flopping" when the wheel was unloaded in a corner? I guess the load spreader would take that on-and-off loading... Seems like it would need to be more solidly attached, somehow.

Good to see you thinking of something besides the deflowering of young livestock... :mrgreen:
:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 9:39 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
what would keep it from "flopping" when the wheel was unloaded in a corner?

The torque on the bolt that passes through the old shock mount should be enough for a few runs. After you decide if you like it you can weld it up.

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 10:02 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Hmmm.... Interesting idea, CR... Would it pivot on the original shock mount holes? And what would keep it from "flopping" when the wheel was unloaded in a corner?

Yes it would be bolted through the original shock mount hole but locked up, not "pivoting" per se other than at adjustment time.

If you are concerned about movement while unloading (rough track!), then weld the bolt onto a load spreading plate (Purple) and weld it to you chassis and put a nut either side of the red plate (blue arrow) to be able to adjust up and down and lock it into position. Elongate the red plate bolt hole with a goats tail file to allow for the adjustment's arc.

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 10:18 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
If you are concerned about movement while unloading (rough track!)

Yeah, "Flopping" was too strong a word. I was more thinking it would unload and then re-load the strain on that bolt -at least partially- as I went around corners. Perhaps not enough to matter, but it seemed like a "stressful" environment with the changing load on that point.

Quote:
Elongate the red plate bolt hole with a goats tail file to allow for the adjustment's arc.

CR, I think the medication is wearing off. Tell the nice nurse you're having goat thoughts again. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 10:24 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
CR, I think the medication is wearing off. Tell the nice nurse you're having goat thoughts again. :mrgreen:

I dunno about that, I just resisted 'billycart' puns in Andrea's thread ....

PostPosted: August 24, 2014, 6:50 am 

G'day from the land of Aussie
I have been interested in your posts re Slotus. I have a Slotus built here in Australia in 1957 has great racing history. i'am also nearing completion on a Rennmax (great Aussie race car builder of the 60's and 70's) clubman. Interested in hearing about your Slotus. Mine got its name from the builder who was ex Lotus employee and his name was Stan so his car was called Stan's Lotus shortened to Slotus.
I think I have cracked the photo thing
the alloy body is the Slotus
the red clubman is the Rennmax
The red Morgan is my replica i built now 25 years old

Last edited by manxmanta on August 25, 2014, 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 24, 2014, 10:12 pm 
We are Slotus!

G'Day from Florida, Manx!
An ancestor of my Slotus, huh? Wow, talk about your "Missing Link" theory...

My car's name is also "Lotus related," at least partially. I wanted a Mallock, but they are rare and expensive on this side of the pond. I found a lots of pictures of them on the internet, some that even showed a frame, but nothing that I could actually use as a basis for a design. The Lotus 7 and all it's more modern derivatives (Ron Champion, McSorley, 442E, whatever) are more accessible. So I kinda eyeballed the Lotus 7 design, looked at Mallock pictures and drew up a frame design on a big piece of cardboard.

I decided early on that the car's name was going to be "Quinn" after an old rock-n-roll song I always liked. That never really caught on, somehow. Then my buddy James, in a burst of creative genius likely fueled by cheap American beer, combined "Slow" and "Lotus" and the rest is history. Now we're Team Slotus, a legend in our own minds and a force to be reckoned with... As long as you don't reckon we got much sense... :mrgreen:

Great hearing from you, Sir, and we'd love to know more about that 1957 Slotus in Oz. Pictures would be great, or anything you'd care to post up for us to see. This "Build Log" has become it's own entity, kind of an electronic loony-bin for all the loose elements in the Locost Forum, so don't worry about putting pics of your car in here if you want to. Hell, it'd be more "on topic" than several other discussions we've come up with... So, welcome aboard, and let us hear from you!

JD Kemp

PostPosted: August 25, 2014, 12:00 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
I wanted a Mallock ... I found a lots of pictures of them on the internet, some that even showed a frame, but nothing that I could actually use as a basis for a design.

I didn't know that JD, my good Mate has one!

PostPosted: August 25, 2014, 5:26 am 

G'day
We have a huge Clubman following her. I have help several friends rebuild Mallocks some with Corolla engines and some with old ford Kent engines and we have few with suzuki GTI. A friend is trying to put together a register of Mallocks and the many copies one manufacturer called his U2's made many about 20 so far all with historic racing heritage.

I can not find out how to upload photos but as soon as i find the way in I will send some. Maybe you could give me a clue where to find the upload button?

My Slotus 1957 has an Austin A40 (nash metropoliton) engine and MGA gearbox. It was built using a Lotus plan for a Lotus 6 chassis and a sportsman type clubman body.

My latest project is another Clubman using a Honda s2000 engine and gearbox without doubt the scariest thing I have ever driven. Regardless of how fast or what gear you are in it will spin the wheels.

Great to find you hear from you soon
Andrew the Aussie nut job

PostPosted: August 25, 2014, 7:41 am 
We are Slotus!

It's Monday mornin' here, Andrew... So my replies may be a little slower...

There's several ways to put pictures up in here. I use the little rectangular button labelled "Browse" just below the blue bar that says "Upload Attachment." That'll open a box that lets you navigate to the file where your pictures are (on your C drive or a flash drive or whatever) and then click on the filename for the picture. Then if you go to "Preview" you can look at the picture in your message. You can then put the cursor where you want the picture and push the "Place Inline" button that'll show up below your text. Easy and greasy Mate! Like this....
Attachment:
Bubba Drives 8.jpg

The 57 Slotus sounds like a real "period piece". That Austin engine powered a lot of "homebuilt" racecars, didn't it? Good little engine. The modern one with the S2000 bits would fit right in with several of the builds here. That's a potent little motor as well.

I'm a lurker on the Aussie Clubman forum. Seems like a great group of folks. If I may generalize, and I mean it as a compliment, the Aussies I've met in person or online sort of remind me of Southerners in the US. They seem to be enjoyin' life, don't take themselves too seriously, regard their friends and time spent with friends highly and don't mind havin' an adult beverage from time to time. Good people, iffen you ask me...

JDK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164 ... 316  Next