LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: April 17, 2012, 12:41 pm 

i would put clean socks on every day but by wednesday my shoes wouldn't fit!

and about underware, "are those skid marks or did you do a burn out"

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: April 17, 2012, 1:12 pm 
We are Slotus!

horizenjob wrote:
Quote:
5 inch backspace

I'm going thru some wheel selection stuff now. Are you going to use the same rims on the front? I am thinking 8" for the front and either 8 or 10 for the rear. On the front I started with a backspace in the middle, but then looking at the scrub on the front it seems we're going for closer to 6" backspace on an 8" rim. SeatleTom is doing great work helping me square away my suspension issues. I'm using Pinto drop spindles...

We're also going for the Ford IRS stuff in the V8 version of the car.

Howdy, Marcus- I have identical wheels for all four corners, got 'em cheap from one of my racin' buddies... Couldn't resist. I haven't even looked at scrub radius, other than to eyeball it and ask James what he thought. The consensus was, "Sure did get those wheels for a good price." I might have to re-think it all when I test drive the car, but for now, that's what I'm-a-gonna go with! :mrgreen:

I also have the Pinto-style 2 inch drop spindles. Based on those spindles, I have already told the registrar for our local SCCA that I want to run in H-Stock, as a 1978 Pinto. She didn't seem to think that would work, for some odd reason...

Regards-
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 17, 2012, 1:19 pm 
We are Slotus!

john hennessy wrote:
i would put clean socks on every day but by wednesday my shoes wouldn't fit!

and about underware, "are those skid marks or did you do a burn out"

Yo, John-
What are these "socks" of which you speak?

And that other bit... Welllll... Ewwwww.... :ack: (But I know what you mean! :wink: )

:rofl:

Thanks for comin' by, John... Check back later, we might be working on a car or something, ya never know...
:cheers:
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 17, 2012, 2:54 pm 
The voice of reason

Are you running these:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mustang-II-2-Inch-Dropped-Steel-Spindles,2098.html?parentDisplayId=2099

or the Wilwood or something that looks more like the stock units?

PostPosted: April 17, 2012, 3:07 pm 
We are Slotus!

Marcus-
Mine look like the Speedway one in the link, but I didn't get them from Speedway. I have searched my box of receipts more than once, and the record of the purchase is not there, and I cannot for the life of me remember where I got them from!
JDK

PostPosted: April 17, 2012, 3:41 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
erioshi wrote:
So isn't there a car being built here somewhere? After all the fiberglass comments, I'm looking forward to seeing this all-American Ford temptress dressed in a proper British bikini...

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/bikini-competition

Yo, Erioshi- Car? Yeah, I think you're right, there was something about building a car a few pages back... I'll have to try to find that reference... :rofl:

I was really enjoying the bikini contest, until I noticed that it was filmed in 1961 and did a little math. Those cute little bikini wearin' 20-somethings would be in their 70's now. DAMN, when did that happen? :?: :shock: :?: Wasn't 1961 just a couple of years ago? :?: :?: :?:

Also, the Slotus has a 61-62 inch rear track and 10 inch wide wheels. They have a 5 inch backspace. When you add it all up that's damn near SIX FEET across the rear. I don't think a butt like that (or Kiwi Dave's or mine for that matter) should ever be seen in a bikini. :ack:

Thanks for the film clip Erioshi! If I find that bit about the car in here, I'll let you know! :lol:

'Preciate you comin' by!
JDK

Couldnt find my mankini JD but can you give me your honest opinion was trying on some new pants the other day ..and well .. do they make my arse look fat ????

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 17, 2012, 5:08 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Dave-
I'd be willing to bet 13.75 ga-zillion dollars that picture ain't your arse. (And if it is, I just don't wanna know, OK?)

This whole conversation has just gone totally, completely, bizarre-ly WRONG!!! :ack:

So, about those fiberglass fenders... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: April 17, 2012, 6:24 pm 

You won the bet..whats it like to be a GA-ZILLIONAIRE..i had to borrow a pic of swmbo's :shock: ..(Quickly looks around to make sure she isnt watching )Im treading on really thin ice here :o if you dont hear from me for awhile ..call the cops, or the national guard..i think last time swmbo got angry she threatened to bury me under a motorway..i wasnt happy i told her if you gonna knock me off at least bury me under a RACETRACK :cheers:
KIWI DAVE

PostPosted: April 17, 2012, 6:25 pm 

Quote:
I cannot for the life of me remember where I got them from!

JDK

JDK= Just Don't Know :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 17, 2012, 6:42 pm 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
Quote:
I cannot for the life of me remember where I got them from!

JDK

JDK= Just Don't Know :cheers:

Good one Chuck!

PostPosted: April 29, 2012, 10:38 pm 
We are Slotus!

Good evening Slotus Fans!

He's baaaaa-aaaaack!!! Been a kind of a drought here at Slotus World Headquarters lately, but things are picking up a bit. Just the other day, the nice FedEx man came back and dropped off a box from Jeg's--
Attachment:
4 27 12 Injectors Fittings and HAT.jpg
As you can see, it contained a bunch of goodies, including a hat that I didn't order. They gave it to me free, which is a symbolic way of saying, "Ya spent wwwaaaaaaa-aaaaayyy too much money, Dumb Ass!" only nicer. Damn thing is shore-nuff yeller, ain't it??? Glows in the dark...

Included in the box o'goodies were 8 of these little jewels below.
Attachment:
4 27 12 New Injector.jpg
24lbs/hr injectors for the 302. That's a slight upgrade over the stock 19 lb/hr units, should be fine for starters and on thru a few upgrades. There were also some adapters to go from those oddball round quick-connects Ford uses to AN hoses and a high-pressure (32 psi) radiator cap to go on the radiator neck.
Attachment:
4 27 12 Rad Cap.jpg
Because the rad leans forward at a pretty good angle, the filler neck is not the highest point of the system, so we really don't want that one to open. The "real" filler neck is in the top hose, where it crosses over the water pump drive motor. It'll get a "normal" rad cap, probably a 16 psi or so.

So on Saturday, James and I went up to the shop and played with all these new toys. The injector rail was just entirely too grubby looking to install, so I brought it home for a general cleaning up. Given that decision, we decided also not to put the new injectors in the engine, but to wait and put 'em in when we could connect the fuel rail and cover the openings that way. So, no new injectors were installed. Bummer... We did put the radiator cap on the radiator... :mrgreen:

Since we hadn't put the injectors in, and had some more afternoon to kill, we decided to cut the hole in the dash for the steering column and for the tach. There was a bit of an issue with the tach install. I had taken the dash panel home to put the tach in, but as I thought about it, I knew there wasn't enough vertical space to put it above the steering column, and the wheel is a bit small to look through for the tack anyway. I was going to mount it to the right of the wheel, but realized I'd have to "place" the wheel to know how far over to move it so I wouldn't block the view with my big-ol'-ham-sized right hand. Then realized that even if I figured that out, there was a framework holding the brake master cylinder reservoirs, then the reservoirs themselves off to the right of the footbox.

So, we put the dash in place, marked and drilled the hole for the steering column, put the dash back in place with the column poking thru, attached the wheel and (sniff, sniff, sob, sob) I had to get into the cockpit :shock: and hold the steering wheel like I was driving! :roll: Oh, the agony... :mrgreen: So, as soon as I quit making Vroom-Vroom sounds and the general mayhem quieted down, we then figured out where to put the tach. Out came the dash panel and we cut the hole for it. I did a little hand-work with a file, got impatient and finished opening up the hole with an air tool, like Pneumatios (the god of compressed air) intended and there ya go, dashboard, wheel and tach!
Attachment:
4 28 12 Dash Board.jpg
The lighting was all wrong for the shot... I ain't no photographer, or an engineer! So there.

That was a good spot to put it, no interference from any of the framework bits forward of the dash and good sight lines from the seating position. We did have to get a bit cozy with the brake reservoirs, but they won't mind... I hope...
Attachment:
4 28 12 Tach Installation.jpg

There's some other instruments to be installed, oil pressure, water temp and so forth, and I'll try to get those put in this week... Maybe... If that whole "work" thing doesn't interfere. :evil:

And that's the latest from Team Slotus... Oh, and this is Day 28 for me and TWWTFM since the big weddin'... So all of y'all that had numbers less than that in the pool have officially lost! :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and Yeller Hats-
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 29, 2012, 11:56 pm 

Hi JD..yep that hat is prity lellow aright..wont lose your head wearing that :)
mmm nice injectors...its kinda tight in your dash area for gauges with the brake resevoirs where they are ....But who needs a Tach ..thats what god gave you ears for...mmmm i can hear the sound of that screaming small block now..oooppps i must be going deaf that sounds like 9500 rpm :shock: and that sounds like a bearing knock poo maybe a tach is a good idea
and maybe a big red tach light just behind the wheel

cheers Bro ..Kiwi Dave

PostPosted: April 30, 2012, 1:44 am 
The voice of reason

Where's the gas pedal, that thing that makes it get loud?

How much width is there in the footwell? I'm sort of wondering how small it can get and still work well.

PostPosted: April 30, 2012, 8:43 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Where's the gas pedal, that thing that makes it get loud?
How much width is there in the footwell? I'm sort of wondering how small it can get and still work well.

Hi Marcus!
In that picture, the gas pedal is almost completely hidden by the bottom spoke of the steering wheel. It's green like the chassis and very narrow. We haven't fitted a "pad" on it yet, it's just a piece of 1/2 inch tubing. When we get the brake pedals all properly hooked up to the MCs and get the linkages adjusted and such, we're gonna fit a pad on the little tube. I might grind down the brake pedal a bit on that side, still kinda looking at things there.

My footbox is narrow. I can sit in it and work the pedals with my Top Siders on, should be a bit easier in driving shoes. It's comparable to the MG in pedal spacing, maybe just a bit narrower overall (i.e. not much space left of the clutch). I'll get a measurement on it when I'm up there next. (Feel free to nag me about it...)

JDK

PostPosted: April 30, 2012, 8:56 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
maybe a tach is a good idea
and maybe a big red tach light just behind the wheel

Yo Dave-
This is a modern engine, Bro... It gots eee-leck-tronicks that run the engine. It's got an ECM & a PCM & a EFI & a CPU & a IBM & a BLT or maybe some days a PMS. Or something like that. My Ford genius, James, says that the electronics in the magic black box include a rev limiter so no matter how stupid I get, it won't go to 9500 and scatter pretty bits of shiny metal on the road. I find comfort in that...

We are thinking some "idiot lights" :mrgreen: in front of the steering wheel (and thus, also in front of the "idiot") are in my future. :roll: :shock:

High today is supposed to go over 90F. It's heading into summer time here. One of us is backwards, I just can't figure out who it is...

JDK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 316  Next