LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: September 7, 2018, 9:16 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
"I'll probably manage to get sunburned in some unusual places"

In that case, make sure you wear a hat.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: September 7, 2018, 10:48 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Martin-
TWWTFM, who can usually take most anything (she lives with me, remember?), looked at that picture and said "MAKE IT GO AWAY!"
I only felt slightly nauseated... :puke:

Lonnie-
DO NOT show this to the dogs...

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 7, 2018, 10:49 am 

In all these years, JD, I never thought I'd say, "That green looks good on that engine."

Congrats on your perseverance as an apprentice mechanic. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 7, 2018, 11:24 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
I only felt slightly nauseated...

I agree, those shoes are appalling.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: September 7, 2018, 12:17 pm 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
In all these years, JD, I never thought I'd say, "That green looks good on that engine."
Kinda grows on you, don't it??? Although, in this climate, having green stuff grow on you is not unusual... :ack:

mgkluft wrote:
I agree, those shoes are appalling.
What shoes? Maybe I didn't look at the pic long enough. Then again, maybe I did... :ack:

I'm going to go back thru the pages and find the Nearly Naked Chinese Chick that Cheapracer posted. It might be a good antidote.

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 7, 2018, 11:43 pm 

Hi JD - for some reason I've not been getting updates from your log for some time, and thought you were hibernating, so pleased to have caught up again.
I wasn't going to say it before, being a tad apprehensive you might set The Bubba on me but... I've never been quite so enamoured with all the green... BUT, the green engine bits are stunning. You'll have to lose the hood.
Nice to know all the pasta salads are keeping you regular... ;)
Cheers, MangPong.

PostPosted: September 8, 2018, 9:24 pm 
Toyotaphobe

GonzoRacer wrote:
Pssssst! Hey Y'all! Don't tell nobody, but we is about to have an engine...
Attachment:
09 06 18 Engine!.jpg

Danged if that ain't purty!!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 10, 2018, 2:20 am 

sorry i haven't responded for some time, i was blinded by the Borat bathing suit and didn't recover for three days.

JD i guess i owe you a rocker arm, did not think there was a bad one, i suppose i could just say give it all back and i will refund your money but looking at the finished engine, it's a bit too late.

looks very nice, if it's that good inside then you have a winner, i like your choice in intake manifolds and the color green is excellent.

i do however know a few people who would not own a green car for all the tea in china but i'm not that superstitious

i'm glad to see you are taking the careful route when assembling the motor now and not trying to forge ahead regardless but paying attention to every nut, bolt and rocker arm, you need to know every part of that engine personally.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: September 10, 2018, 7:36 am 
We are Slotus!

Good morning John-
Thanks for the kind words. And no, you don't owe me for a rocker arm. I bought used stuff, knew it was used, and I did not mean to point any fingers at you when I found the bad rocker. I found it before I tried to start up the engine, so it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

NASCAR and a lot of the circle track folks used to consider green a bad luck color for some reason. (A fatal wreck once-upon-a-time, I think.) But I grew up reading about F1 and sports cars and was always a Jaguar fan, so green seems like a natural choice for a race car to me. (I also run #13...)

Now there's some more fiddling to do with things like headers and motor mounts and we'll get that lump back in its natural habitat soon!

JDK

PostPosted: September 10, 2018, 12:00 pm 

Hi JD - I'm sure you know this - I don't know why but the British are also unhappy with green - at least with cars - which is why, back in the day, the FIA gave 'upstart' Britain green as it's national racing colour. As a result teams used as dark a green as possible... Look at Vanwall, BRM, Cooper etc...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 11, 2018, 10:41 pm 

the color is known as Brunswick green, at least it was for Jaguar D types.

JD, what type of ignition are you using?

gm hei distributors are available for small fords but i would change the module for a better quality one.

if you are using duraspark 11 get an original ford module with a blue grommet or use a gm module with the ford distributor.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: September 12, 2018, 7:20 am 
We are Slotus!

MangPong wrote:
Hi JD - I'm sure you know this - I don't know why but the British are also unhappy with green - at least with cars - which is why, back in the day, the FIA gave 'upstart' Britain green as it's national racing colour. As a result teams used as dark a green as possible... Look at Vanwall, BRM, Cooper etc...
Hi Mang! No, I had not ever heard that story before. Interesting... I have to say it "didn't work" as far as the FIA's little nasty trick went. Seems to be that BRG has been a very famous/popular color for quite a while as opposed to, say, "French Blue"...

john hennessy wrote:
JD, what type of ignition are you using?
gm hei distributors are available for small fords but i would change the module for a better quality one.
if you are using duraspark 11 get an original ford module with a blue grommet or use a gm module with the ford distributor.
Good morning John- When we took off the electronic injection and the PCM that went with it and went back to the carb setup, we also went with an old Ford Duraspark setup. James had one of the "Blue Tab" boxes in his junk... Uhhh... Spare parts supply and that's what we used. I later bought a new one and plugged that in. Still got it, and plan to use it for the near future.

JDK

PostPosted: September 12, 2018, 10:45 am 

JD, got a question for you that's a little off-topic for this thread (so, what else is new, right?)! Andouille, spicy (HOT), or not??? I don't mind a little 'hot', but SWMBO is a New Englander, and she basically draws the thermal line at "peppermint"!

PostPosted: September 12, 2018, 2:21 pm 
We are Slotus!

ngpmike wrote:
JD, got a question for you that's a little off-topic for this thread (so, what else is new, right?)! Andouille, spicy (HOT), or not??? I don't mind a little 'hot', but SWMBO is a New Englander, and she basically draws the thermal line at "peppermint"!
Hi Mike!
Ya know, if you counted up, discussions of food might rank ahead of car talk in here, so you're not really off-topic!

Andouille, like most sausage recipes, can vary a bit from one brand to another. By and large they are not "burn your tongue" hot, but rather a spicy, "warm" kind of taste. If you buy a national brand like Johnsonville or Hillshire Farm, they tend to be less "spicy" than the small, local makers.

I'd suggest a National brand at first, then maybe shop around the local brands and see if there's one you both like. I usually buy Savoie (spelling?) but I don't know if that's available in your area. Aidelle's is good too.

Good luck and Bon Appetit'
JDK

PostPosted: September 12, 2018, 3:14 pm 

Being a big fan of Cajun and Creole cookery I'm always open to a source for good Andouille. When we lived in Omaha seems like we had a better selection there than here in Seattle. In Omaha we had several local Charcuteries. But here we have to rely on packaged product. Hempler's is my favorite, Aidells is a close second. Here the Andouille is the only pork sausage Aidells markets. I personally don't think Aidells is very spicy. YMMV

Cheers and Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262 ... 316  Next