LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: September 16, 2014, 7:00 am 
We are Slotus!

waltj wrote:
That is rather harsh. :twisted:

Yeah, really! I thought so too...

Good to hear from you Walt! Thanks for stopping by.
Come back later, we're having drinks.... OOOPS!!! Did I say that out loud?

:cheers: <-There I go again...
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 16, 2014, 1:19 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Briggs wrote:
I've always wanted to learn how to fiberglass.

Well, Come on Down!!! We have a class going on right now, operators are standing by!
Actually, it ain't rocket surgery... Proof is I can do it... :mrgreen:

It all started out with one of our forum members, Pook, who did some amazing stuff in his build(s), and I pretty much copy-catted what he did. Looky here, there's a pretty good lesson on how he did it, along with some other info: http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8113 What Pook did, and what I've done for the body on the Slotus, was not the traditional "Mold and Buck" system but instead more of a moldless composite type of construction. The experimental aircraft guys do it all the time. Try "Moldless Composite Construction" on YouTube, there's videos. Oh, and surfboards are made this way too...

First step is to make the part you want out of foam. I use insulation sheets from SLowe's or Home Beepo, cut, bent, sanded and held together with Gorilla glue. Get the shape you want, sand it down smooth, fill in the gaps with spackle, etc. Wet it down with resin (I use a paintbrush) then lay the 6 (or 7 or 8) ounce fiberglass cloth on it and spread it out smoothly with the wet brush. Work out any air bubbles, make sure it's all wet through-and-through, then lay another layer on top and repeat the process. I usually only do two layers at a time. Let it cure overnight, add layers as needed.

Then, it's just a matter of doing body work, like any other car body repair. Sand it down smooth (block sand, long-board sand, or use a jitterbug) and then fill any low spots. At that point, I usually lay up a couple of layers of this silky 3-ounce cloth I bought for that purpose. I let that cure, then do a final sanding (and filling, if needed), work my way down to about a 1500 grit wet-sand and it's ready for paint.

Kinda labor intensive, but you get the exact shape custom made part you wanted. Surprisingly strong, too. Pook said at one point that he could stand on one set of sidepods he made. I tried sitting on the rear deck of the Slotus, and it didn't break, so that stuff must be stout indeed!

Any-hoo, like a lot of things, it's mostly a matter of just doing it, screwing up, starting over, until you get it right. Go for it, Bro, that's all there is to it!

Oh, and TWWTFM stands for "The White Woman That Feeds Me." I'll pass along your translation, I'm sure she'll like it better than mine... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JD "Racist/Chauvinist Pig" Kemp

Thanks for the info and the link JD. Damn, I was close...

PostPosted: September 16, 2014, 1:47 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
And don't talk sh*t about my breakfast while you're eatin' somebody's poodle!!! (And usin' two knittin' needles to do it!) :rofl:

Damn, good comeback, wild inside pass under brakes right there. JD 36 : Cheapy 35

But I'll grab 5th gear on the back straight yet .....

PostPosted: September 22, 2014, 8:48 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hey-Hey-Hey!!! (Fat Albert voice)
We gots an autocross this weekend. I just installed the two new slicks on the front end after James mounted 'em on rims this weekend. I was gonna take pictures, but... They're slicks... The new ones look just like the old ones...

And got started on setting the front sway bar one tick stiffer, but I needed some slightly longer bolts, 9/16 grade 8 fine thread and... I didn't have any! Dammit! (To quote Nico Rosberg.)
Attachment:
4 3 14 Sway Bar3.jpg
See where the thicker part of the arm is, at the third bolt-hole in the bottom of the arm? Got to go thru there, instead of the thinner part further down. Looks like I'll be goin' to Ace Hardware tomorrow. I'll post up a few more pictures then.

There's a driver's school on Saturday that I'm helping out with... Primarily I'm serving as a bad example. "If you can do better than THIS guy, you pass."

Y'all come back by next week, we'll have a race report. Or something... Stay tuned!
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 22, 2014, 9:04 pm 
We are Slotus!

One other thing! I forgot to mention, over the weekend TWWTFM made a crock-pot full of Brunswick Stew. (If you are currently wondering "What is Brunswick Stew?" then you are probably a Yankee and should just stop reading now.)

We cheated, used smoked beef brisket and some pork tenderloin from Sam's... I know, I shoulda smoked it myself, but I was busy playing with Slotus parts and such. We put the meats in there with some beef stock and Carolina Treet* barbecue sauce. (James Earl don't eat chicken, so we went with beef/pork only.) TWWTFM added lima beans, onion, garlic, tomatoes and some beef stock and let 'em all work out their differences overnight.

*Carolina Treet is my favorite BBQ sauce. http://www.carolinatreet.com/
Don't start nothin... Don't say nothin...
Don't give a damn what they do in Texas...

Any-hoo, the Brunswick Stew was MAHVELLOUSS!!! So good it'd make you slap your granny and renounce your religion... I think there's maybe one serving of it left. (I just finished a l'il bowl of it a few minutes ago.) James had some, TWWTFM had some, HamDip turned up her little nose at it (WEIRDO!) and I pretty much went piggie on it... (Urrrrp... 'Scuse me...)

So that was the really important event of the weekend, Brunswick Stew. Well, that and tires. Mostly Brunswick Stew...
JDK

PostPosted: September 22, 2014, 9:08 pm 
Toyotaphobe

GonzoRacer wrote:
JDK

So you don't want to better yourself in your life? Oh wait, you're building your own car that should have answered my question.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 22, 2014, 9:22 pm 
We are Slotus!

carguy123 wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:
JDK

So you don't want to better yourself in your life? Oh wait, you're building your own car that should have answered my question.

So, you're talking to yourself again? I'm a-thinkin' you've had something more potent than BBQ sauce tonight... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: September 22, 2014, 9:33 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Not yet, but that's a great idea you had there!!!

Dr Pepper coming right up! (and DP doesn't belong in BBQ sauce either)

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 29, 2014, 10:39 pm 
We are Slotus!

Team Slotus Race Report
Dixie Region SCCA Solo Event, Sept 28 2014
Spence Field, Moultrie GA

Executive Summary: We stink...

We had an autocross Sunday, and took the Slotus with its new front tires and recently adjusted sway bar. As luck would have it, HamDip was in the first run group, I was in the second. Poor kid went out on the new setup with no guidance... and spun. Tried it again, after James adjusted tire pressures and talked to her about the course. She spun. And on her third run, she spun. It was sad.

I had slightly better luck, but only because I'm somewhat better at catching it when the rear end breaks loose. Our overall speeds were up, but the "loose" condition was back. During lunch we talked about it. It seemed totally bass-ackwards to soften up the swaybar, but that was what had changed since last event. So I did it.

Didn't help. Hamdip still struggled with it during her afternoon runs, but managed to get a decent time on the last go at it, clocking a 53.8 second run. I didn't go any faster than I had in the morning. (Best time of the day for me was a 50.5, third morning run)

In hindsight (20/20 with bifocals) I think my logic as flawed. I think what was happening was we had more mechanical grip up front with the new tires, making the rear looser in relation to that new grip up front. I upset the balance we had found with the old tires. I should have tried making the sway bar stiffer, not going back to the older, softer settings.

Duhhhh.... I feel kinda stupid... Sorry HamDip... My bad...

So, the saga continues. I'm a-gonna get back to fiddlin' with the sway bar and we'll try it again soon.

Peace, Love and 360s-
JDK

PostPosted: September 30, 2014, 12:07 am 
The voice of reason

What do you use for rear tire pressure? It seems like you are where I was last time I took the FF out. It was really cold and I'm old now so I put in 2 extra pounds in the tires because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to work them up to temp. What happened was every time I tried to go a little faster, I spun. I didn't figure it out till the end of the second day when I was sitting on the rear tires feeling rather discontented. I noticed the center of the tire was warm and the outside edge cold. So every time I cornered I lost my traction. The back end came out real easy, and it wasn't really those 106 raging ponies...

I'm going to guess you should be all the way down to maybe 15 lbs.? I think I've gone down to 12 on my fronts a couple of times.

We already covered the above I think.

Maybe you're going a bit faster now and have found yourself back at the original problem, something like bottoming out a rear shock? Especially since going softer at the front didn't fix anything...

PostPosted: September 30, 2014, 12:13 am 

Ouch, the saga continues...sorry to hear about the unintentional donuts. Glad nothing solid was hit. And think about what you (and we) are learning. Next time's the charm!

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: September 30, 2014, 8:31 am 

Yep, our #1 rule was "don't diagnose a handling problem on old rubber". You exaggerated the effect by mixing old and new. We also found (after much testing) that when the ambient temp was less than 65*, lower the (cold tire) pressure by 2 psi.

YMMV, but you've got the idea.

PostPosted: September 30, 2014, 9:48 am 

seven13bt wrote:
Yep, our #1 rule was "don't diagnose a handling problem on old rubber".

Some have to run what they bring and have to sort out what they have while they have it.

JD, post some outside video of you runs and we'll try to see what it's doing, old tyres or not, snap oversteer is a deeper issue.

PostPosted: September 30, 2014, 9:53 am 
We are Slotus!

horizenjob wrote:
What do you use for rear tire pressure? [snip]I was afraid I wouldn't be able to work them up to temp. What happened was every time I tried to go a little faster, I spun. [snip]noticed the center of the tire was warm and the outside edge cold. So every time I cornered I lost my traction. The back end came out real easy, and it wasn't really those 106 raging ponies...

I'm going to guess you should be all the way down to maybe 15 lbs.? I think I've gone down to 12 on my fronts a couple of times.
Hi Marcus-
It was a cool, cloudy day, and getting heat in the tires was not nearly as easy as it was last month in 96* weather! We did lower the rears, not as much as you're talking about. Started out with 26 psi back there. Lowered it to 24 and then to 22. I think that last may be too low, the ol' hand-pyrometer felt like they were cooler in the center. (The ol' empty head forgot to bring the real pyrometer.)

The tires are Hoosier radial slicks, and likely use more air than the bias ply kind I bet you were running on the FF. We had run the rears on 26 and/or 24 previously. I think 24 might be the optimum number. The fronts seem to like 24 as well. Still playing with that and, as you know, pressures will vary with temp and surface and phase of the moon. (OK, maybe not that last one... Maybe...)

I saw a picture somebody took of one of HamDip's morning runs, with the sway bar set at the "stiffer" point. There was a good bit of "lean" in the front end. Not as bad as before, but very visible. I think that's still the problem. A re-design of the coil-over mounts to get rid of some of their angle (and thus increase wheel rate) might be in order here.

seven13bt wrote:
Yep, our #1 rule was "don't diagnose a handling problem on old rubber". You exaggerated the effect by mixing old and new. We also found (after much testing) that when the ambient temp was less than 65*, lower the (cold tire) pressure by 2 psi.
Howdy Ron-
Good to hear from you again! Yes, brand new on the front and a couple of (dozen) heat cycles old on the rear... Although, both front and rear were bought used from John Berget. I put new 14" wide on the rears a few months ago and got myself out of sync. Plus, being a cheap barsterd, I like to buy two at a time instead of four. Bad timing on my part. Let me think on this a minute and maybe I can make it HamDip's fault... I guess the only thing to do is hurry up and wear 'em all out and buy four new tires all at once! (I sure hope TWWTFM ain't readin' this. She's gonna wonder where the mortgage payment money went...)

We weren't down to 65 on Sunday, except maybe real early morning before anybody was driving. However, I tend to agree that the temp of the air and track have their affects on the tires. A little lower on cold days, absolutely correct! Thanks for the info, and come on back for a visit any time!

So, like Tom said, we're learning as we go. Wait and see what happens next time!
Peace, Love and Tire Wear-
JDK

PostPosted: September 30, 2014, 10:01 am 
We are Slotus!

cheapracer wrote:
JD, post some outside video of you runs and we'll try to see what it's doing, old tyres or not, snap oversteer is a deeper issue.

Hi CR! Good to hear from ya!
You know, this time the "feel" was different, even if the problem still qualified as "oversteer." It wasn't quite the "snap" out of control on corner entry we initially had. It was a more gradual loose feeling and mostly on corner exit under power. It was "catchable" and even avoidable, just requiring slower exit speeds and later throttle application. Both of those are bad...

I think James has some video of HamDip's runs taken from a cam mounted on the side of the car, looking at the L front wheel. I'll see if we can post it up for your viewing pleasure...

JDK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 316  Next