LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: March 13, 2017, 7:02 pm 

I'm sorry to hear about those woes, JD. Maybe it's true that things come in threes. What's your count on these troubled outings? Are you to 3 yet? If so, your luck may be about to change for the better. In the mean time, or if you still haven't got to 3 yet, only go to events in flat areas with out any cliffs!

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 13, 2017, 11:31 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Sounds to me JD like it's time to start over.
>
>
>
>
>
>

Now that you've thought about that for a couple of seconds you realize the split tubing at the exact wrong time isn't such a big thing overall now is it?

Frustrating for sure, but something you'll laugh about later?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 13, 2017, 11:32 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hey Y'all!
Thanks for the support... I'm all better now. Well, I will be as soon as I unload the Slotus from the trailer and give it one more good cussin'... :twisted: Rained all day today, I didn't bother. Tomorrow, we'll see... :mrgreen:

a.moore wrote:
Do you recall which kind of fuel line you were using?
Not all is rated to be submerged.
Hi Andrew- The line I had originally used was plain old neoprene fuel line, or rather, not plain fuel line, but the high-pressure stuff for fuel injection systems. I didn't know about the "submersible" stuff until Sunday afternoon, when the guy I borrowed that little bit of fuel line from told me about the submersible fuel line you mention. And later, Sunday night when I called the Slotus Owner's "Set the Car on Fire and Push It Over a Cliff" Prevention Hotline (otherwise know as Horizenjob) he told me the same thing.

Sooo, in the near future, I'll be diving into the fuel cell ONE MORE TIME to replace the fuel line on the pump with some of the good stuff that is supposed to be there. I found it listed in Amazon as well as a couple of automotive websites. I'll probably just order it through the local parts store I go to.

And I appreciate the info... Thanks for lookin' in on things! :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and Split Fuel Lines-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 14, 2017, 12:21 am 

All said and done, sounds like it's nice to find out it's something fairly easy to correct.
:cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 14, 2017, 6:19 pm 
Always Moore!

GonzoRacer wrote:
And I appreciate the info... Thanks for lookin' in on things! :mrgreen:

Well that's the good news - the bad news is it isn't "the fix". I had that stuff in the tank on my Locost and it did last awhile (much longer than the stuff not rated to be submerged) but it didn't last forever. My car's current owner said that the line also degraded and failed. If my memory is correct, it had been submerged for about 5 years.

So theoretically you should be good until around 2022. ;)

PostPosted: March 14, 2017, 8:15 pm 

I wouldn't think you were using or had used ethanal mix? That stuff eats hoses.

PostPosted: March 14, 2017, 9:28 pm 
We are Slotus!

a.moore wrote:
I had that stuff in the tank on my Locost and it did last awhile (much longer than the stuff not rated to be submerged) but it didn't last forever. My car's current owner said that the line also degraded and failed. If my memory is correct, it had been submerged for about 5 years.

So theoretically you should be good until around 2022. ;)
Well, hell!!! The regular ol' neoprene I had in there the first time around lasted about 5 years!

TWWTFM found a one-foot piece of Gates "Submersible" in-tank fuel line on Amazon for 16 bucks and change, free shipping. I bought it because that was roughly half what it would cost from CarQuest in town. Since I only use about an inch-and-a-quarter at a time, a foot should be a 48 year supply, or until 2065, when I'll be 111 years old. I think we're alllll set...

Hey Larry! Nope, no E85 for me. (Yet!) I have used pump high-test, which these days contains some ethanol but only about 10% or so. I think this was just the "external" hose being used "internally" and submerged in gasoline that hurried the hose's demise. Although, based on Andrew's experience, it did pretty well, all things considered.

I was a lazy bum, uhh, I mean I was really busy today, and didn't unload the car. I'll get it outta there and back into the shop tomorrow... Maybe...

Y'all come back now-
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 6, 2017, 1:39 pm 

Hey JD,

Have you got one of these shirts? https://www.blipshift.com/products/get-skidward-ii

I think that you'd look styling in it!

Bill

PostPosted: April 6, 2017, 10:35 pm 
We are Slotus!

BHRmotorsport wrote:
Hey JD,

Have you got one of these shirts? https://www.blipshift.com/products/get-skidward-ii

I think that you'd look styling in it!
Oh Baby Baby!!! YES!!! I love it! I got to get me one of those!!!

Thanks for posting that, Bill!

PostPosted: April 7, 2017, 10:09 am 

I ordered my skidward yeaterday. So excited

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: April 8, 2017, 12:13 am 

I see they've got one that matches the sticker on my dash. I just might have to hint at the wife about my birthday coming up.
Hey JD, is your fuel line issue figured out for now? Reminds me of the time I pushed my car on the trailer halfway through autocross one day, seemed to be having fuel starvation issues and I couldn't figure it out. It sat in the garage for a week or so before I even looked at it. I tried to check the float levels in the carb, and wasn't getting anything coming out, no matter how high I set the floats, but I could hear the pump running. Oops, tank's empty. Maybe I should have installed a fuel gauge after all. I never did tell the guys I raced with how I fixed my fuel issues, but I'm probably safe now.
Kristian

PostPosted: April 8, 2017, 9:24 pm 

adding the pic below for posterity in case the link above ever goes sour.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 8.22.41 PM.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 10, 2017, 9:16 am 
We are Slotus!

Hey Kristian!
Short answer is "No"... I haven't done anything to the car since the last event. Why, you ask. Well... It's like this...
Attachment:
04 07 17 TWWTFM's Bad Wheel.jpg
That would be TWWTFM's right ankle that she broke/tore ligaments/sprained the hell out of several times over the last 35 years and which finally gave out this year. She had surgery a couple of weeks ago and I've been occupied ever since with "non-car-related" activities.

She has to keep it totally "non weight bearing" (which her doctor translated for me as "don't let it touch the ground") for a total of 6 weeks. So, between "Where's my cell phone" and "I left my glasses in the bathroom" and other such things, I'm afraid the Slotus has been on a back burner here lately.

But not to worry, we'll be back on track (figuratively and literally, I hope) real soon.

Peace, Love and Bad Wheels-
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 10, 2017, 10:05 am 

Wow, that looks serious, JD. Please pass on my sympathy and concern to TWWTFM for me. I bet that Team Slotus sticker is going to make it heal better and faster, though.

Uh, I guess this means she can't get away from you any longer? Has she started to tell you, "I've heard that joke before", yet?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 10, 2017, 1:50 pm 
Toyotaphobe

My one year old grandson has the same color cast, but he didn't have a Team Slotus sticker.

Where do you get those things, Etsy? Amazon? Ebay?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227 ... 316  Next