LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 14, 2024, 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: November 22, 2016, 12:41 am 
We are Slotus!

Dave and Perry-
Don't strain your little minds trying to find 21.4 pages of car-related stuff in here. I'm pretty sure that was just an estimate, and probably giving me the benefit of doubt. Ewcarb is new here and is still being nice to people... Even Team Slotus!

But ya know, Perry, I betcha at least 10% of the pictures have a car part in them. I don't think the one Cheapracer posted of the now-infamous Nearly Naked Chinese Chick had any cars in it, but I really didn't look at the back ground all that close... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 22, 2016, 4:39 pm 

The 10% figure may of been an exageration :D

Chris

PostPosted: November 25, 2016, 8:07 am 
We are Slotus!

Ewcarb wrote:
The 10% figure may of been an exageration
Well, you know, it started out to be "just a build log" but then Marcus showed up, and Kiwi Dave and then things just went all to hell, sorta like this...
Attachment:
Progress Report.jpg
But I've had a great time with it... Wasted bandwidth, for the most part, but a lot of fun. Made some new friends, even though I've never shook hands with most of 'em. Waaa-aaay more fun than "I welded tab A into slot B"... Doncha tink?

And (belated) Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends. (and anybody else that wants to join it!)

JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 25, 2016, 8:39 pm 

You make the actual graph seem much more plain-sailing than the rest of us :lol:

PostPosted: December 3, 2016, 10:50 am 
We are Slotus!

IT LIVES!!!
I'll fill in the boring details later. 331 stroker rebuild, new exhaust, revised rear suspension, new rear wheels.

Dixie Region SCCA's annual Allies-vs-Axis autocross is tomorrow. Team Slotus will be there.

Hide and watch.

JDK

PostPosted: December 3, 2016, 12:37 pm 
The voice of reason

You're killing me, what was wrong? :rofl:

PostPosted: December 3, 2016, 1:31 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
You're killing me, what was wrong? :rofl:

My guess is Bubba had something to do with it. JD is probably getting the rest of the car ready for tomorrow and can't spare time on the computer.

Bueller?..... Bueller?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 3, 2016, 11:10 pm 

That escalated quickly JD :D

PostPosted: December 10, 2016, 8:12 am 
We are Slotus!

Ewcarb wrote:
That escalated quickly JD :D
Did, didn't it? :mrgreen:

I think I am sufficiently recovered to write about it all now. Maybe... :BH:

So, my long-time racin' buddy James ("Earl"), who is now technically my son-in-law, having married the HamDip, worked at a Ford Dealership (two of 'em actually) for years. He built Ford race cars, worked on Fords at the dealership, autocrossed modified Mustangs, etc. He now works at a shop that sells hot-rod parts for Mustangs. In other words, he knows a lot about Fords.

I have another buddy who isn't a mechanic but is a life-long gearhead. Rob is his name. He's a Mustang guy to the core. He's built several street machines and a few autocross cars that were killers. His current ride is a supercharged Fox body Mustang. In other words, he knows a lot about Fords.

Welllll.... Rob said I should use 24 lb/hr injectors in the stroker engine. James said the 19 lb/hr units I had were sufficient, not to change. I discussed it with them off and on for about a week. Rob pointed out that I had added 10% or so to the volume of air displaced by the pistons/cylinders, etc and that I should up the flow rate to keep the motor from going too lean at high RPM. James said the MAF and the new 'puter could compensate. Then James said if I was worried about it, I could run the car a few times and pull the plugs to look for bits of metal on them. Metal from the aluminum pistons... :shock: I put the 24lb injectors in.

On my first run, within a few hundred yards of the start, something wasn't right. By the end of the run something was very wrong. When I slowed down after the lights, the car was barely running. Pulled into my grid spot and shut it off. Yup, flooded, fouled plugs, etc. It wouldn't re-start. And, of course, I had left the 19lb injectors at home... :BH:

I told James about the injectors. He was P*ssed... Guess deservedly so... I haven't talked with Rob about it. I'm sure he meant well... I may bake him a moose-turd pie... :BH:

It was Wednesday before I unloaded the trailer. If I had looked at the car Sunday night, I think I would have beat it into scrap metal with a baseball bat. :BH:

Ohhhh Kayyyyy...... Let's try this AGAIN... :BH:

Peace, Love and "Never mind all that Peace N Love crap, I'm P*ssed Off Too"-
JDK

PostPosted: December 10, 2016, 9:44 am 

As frustrating as it is, better to foul plugs and end the weekend early than to burn holes in pistons.

I need to get out to the garage if it gets above freezing and see if I can rejet the carbs on the A Mod. It's so lean it won't start

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: December 10, 2016, 11:24 am 

What Rob meant to say was "put in the 24 lb injectors and the MAF that's calibrated to go with that size injector". Oops.

PostPosted: December 10, 2016, 11:46 am 

Sorry to hear about your run JD. Your hopes were high.

So let me understand this, to compensate for 10% more volume you simply put in 26% higher flow injectors? If I understand things correctly, you can't simply change injectors and expect everything else to compensate immediately. Even if the ECU will compensate, it needs run time under all load conditions to relearn, I would think. And the first few minutes of any startup, the "system" will run open loop, relying on the table settings only until things get into normal operating temperatures. Did you have the ECU reprogrammed for your new setup?

I'm sure this will get fixed and you will be back to running FTD soon.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 10, 2016, 12:45 pm 
We are Slotus!

seven13bt wrote:
What Rob meant to say was "put in the 24 lb injectors and the MAF that's calibrated to go with that size injector". Oops.
Yeah... Earl said the same thing. I kinda knew that, but wasn't savvy enough to realize it would have such a huge effect on the engine. Like Chuck said, it was too much... And it WAS better than blowing up a brand-new engine...

I guess the computer AND ME need to learn this new system.

I'm on a mission this weekend, gotta clean out the "junk" closet and get out all the Christmas stuff. Then we can get back to the Slotus. Stay tuned...

JDK

PostPosted: December 10, 2016, 2:22 pm 

You can mess with fuel pressure some to fudge it one way or another.

Fudging does not mean big changes.

A wide band O2 sensor does not weigh much!

If the 19#'s were a little lean you could raise the fuel pressure slightly to compensate?

PostPosted: December 10, 2016, 3:09 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
If the 19#'s were a little lean you could raise the fuel pressure slightly to compensate?
Howdy, Bent! Yes, I understand you can tweak fuel pressure a bit to make richer/leaner mixtures, within limits. I'm still reading up on that stuff...

Speaking of reading up on stuff... Does anybody know of an iteration of Mustang or any other Ford 5.0 that used a mass air flow system AND had the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor hooked up? All I find on the wiring and component conversion from Speed/Density to Mass Air says that the MAP becomes a barometric sensor, as in plug in the wires but don't hook up the vacuum line. Anybody know of another variation?

JDK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218 ... 316  Next