LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: March 25, 2010, 6:51 pm 
We are Slotus!

Trochu wrote: "Were did you get those A-arms from, Speedway? I'm thinking of buying some from there as it's almost cheaper than building my own, just wondering what the quality is like."

Hi- Yes, they're from Speedway, sort of. I originally ordered both front A-arms from there. When they came in, the ball joint rings were not symmetrical. One of the "ears" where the clevis would attach was at an odd angle (not the specified 10 degrees). I asked for, and received a replacement, free of charge. Only problem was, it was more screwed up than the first one.

At that point, I gave up on Speedway, and ordered two new ball joint rings from Day Motorsports. They were fine.

The original units from Spdwy were about 90 bucks each. The additional rings from Day were another 15 or so, IIRC. Not too bad...

HTH
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 11, 2010, 10:53 pm 
We are Slotus!

We got a bit more done on the chassis the last couple of weeks. It seems like adding all the little brackets and suspension pickup points takes longer than assembling the whole damn frame did. But, perservering (or is that preserving? Alcohol was involved, after all...) with the build, here's what we wound up with last Tuesday nite...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 11, 2010, 10:56 pm 
We are Slotus!

Did a little bit more on the front end today, got the right side bracketry done. Starting to look like something... Maybe even a car????

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 11, 2010, 10:58 pm 
We are Slotus!

So, we had to check to see if the coil-over would fit in it's appointed place. But we didn't have a coil-over to check with... So, Locost Engineering to the rescue!!! We fabricated a simulator for the coil over, using some materials we happened to have on hand.

PostPosted: April 12, 2010, 10:12 am 
We are Slotus!

About those pictures... The suspension is "hung" on the car. The bolts holding things there are whatever we found lying around. They are not the final pieces I'll be using. The close-up of the left front was done before all the brackets were boxed in and if ya look closely, one of the LCA brackets wasn't even attached yet. (In other words, the LCA is not attached in single shear!)

Been thinkin' on things, now that the front end is coming together. I originally wanted IRS, for the sake of handling. I later decided that a solid axle was the way to go, for simplicity's sake. (Not that solid axle suspension is simple, but I am!) Now, I'm kinda leaning toward IRS again... Thinking maybe using Thunderbird-based components. Been looking in on Maxlessca's and Trochu's build logs... My buddy Robert has an 8.8 diff out of a Mustang Cobra that he'll part with uber-cheap, too. Hmmmm....

PostPosted: April 13, 2010, 1:42 am 
Always Moore!

I think that may be the only good use for Natty. :D

PostPosted: April 13, 2010, 8:36 am 

Dude you should check the security around your garage. Some vandals left light beer cans laying around.

PostPosted: April 13, 2010, 9:11 pm 
We are Slotus!

egoman wrote:
Dude you should check the security around your garage. Some vandals left light beer cans laying around.

I just noticed that myself... I am both shocked and A-palled. Can't imagine who would do such a thing! We're all into designer water, from foreign lands where they speak strange languages, like uhhh, Canay-dia or some place like that... :D

We've joked for years that Natty Light should pay us sponsorship money. Hard to take a picture of any Dixie SCCA social event without seeing at least one lyin' around. What can I say... It's cheap, and leaves more money in the tire budget.

PostPosted: April 14, 2010, 9:57 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
We've joked for years that Natty Light should pay us sponsorship money. ..sniped.. What can I say... It's cheap, and leaves more money in the tire budget.

Now that's sign of a dedicated racer .. selling out the beer budget for tires.

PostPosted: April 14, 2010, 10:13 am 
We are Slotus!

erioshi wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:
We've joked for years that Natty Light should pay us sponsorship money. ..sniped.. What can I say... It's cheap, and leaves more money in the tire budget.

Now that's sign of a dedicated racer .. selling out the beer budget for tires.

I knew y'all would understand.
"Hi, I'm JD, and I'm a race-aholic."
Locost Forum: "Hello, JD".

PostPosted: April 14, 2010, 11:28 pm 

LOL... I love the Natty coilover. :cheers: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: April 15, 2010, 4:42 pm 
We are Slotus!

chetcpo wrote:
LOL... I love the Natty coilover.

Yo, Chet!
Knew you'd understand! Hey, did ya have a chance to look at the rest of the build log? Am I doing anything right? (Don't answer the other, obvious, opposite question, I kinda know already...)

It's been a blast so far, and seeing the suspension move like it's s'posed to was a bigger thrill than anybody other than this group can understand!

So, in simple terms, thanks for starting this forum... :cheers:

JDK

PostPosted: April 17, 2010, 8:30 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
chetcpo wrote:
LOL... I love the Natty coilover.

Yo, Chet!
Knew you'd understand! Hey, did ya have a chance to look at the rest of the build log? Am I doing anything right? (Don't answer the other, obvious, opposite question, I kinda know already...)

It's been a blast so far, and seeing the suspension move like it's s'posed to was a bigger thrill than anybody other than this group can understand!

So, in simple terms, thanks for starting this forum... :cheers:

JDK

You're quite welcome JD, but Dave Hempy does the heavy lifting around here these days. Yeah I've read your whole build log and it looks like you are on the right track for sure. I love your orignality and use of domestic off the shelf parts. Very practical and mission specific. Your incorporation of Natty cans into the build is just icing on the cake. :D Keep up the good work! :cheers: :thmbsup:

PostPosted: May 1, 2010, 10:17 am 
We are Slotus!

Howdy-
I've been lazy lately, haven't posted anything. Thanks for the kind words Chet, I appreciate your commentary.

OK, nothing to take pics of -yet- but I've been hoss-tradin' around a bit with various gear-head friends.

First thing that happened was that I traded the old set of wheels that used to be autocross wheels for a Mustang I had. They were 17X8, with some worn out Kumho V710's. Turns out a friend of Gayle's (She's TWWTFM*) daughter wanted them for his Mustang. When we talked about cost, he asked what kind of engine I was gonna put in my project car. I said, "Ford 302" to which he replied, "Want one?" Turns out he has a fuel injected 302 in an 88 pickup that he'd trade for wheels. I haven't actually seen/heard it yet, so I may or may not take him up on it. I'll keep ya posted. But I think I got a motor...

Item #2 is that I talked a racin' buddy named Robert** out of an IRS differential out of a '02 Mustang Cobra. He said, "Oh, pay me 25 bucks or something." Haven't paid him yet, gonna take it to my shop and ponder an IRS design. Assuming I can figure it out without taking my car apart, IRS, here we come!!!

Item #3, same racin buddy had a set of 15 X 10 wheels in my bolt pattern. I've got 'em in the truck (with that IRS diff) to test fit with my caliper/rotor combination. If they fit, he'll take $50 for 'em - ALL FOUR!!! Guess I'd better be lookin' for some 15 inch slicks.

*That's "The White Woman That Feeds Me"
**Robert is a Genuine Great Guy! He's part of the reason this little SCCA region is THE BEST!

PostPosted: May 5, 2010, 10:20 am 
We are Slotus!

Quickie update-
(There's always time for a quickie!)
Tried on the new wheels last night. They fit! I'd been thinking 17's with super low profile rubber because I had the wheels. But, since these are a good bit wider, and I can maintain the proper ground clearance and since I traded off the 17's anyway... Looks like it's 15 X 10's for me!!!
Attachment:
Wheel Fitting 2 May 4 '10.jpg

We also had a go at "placing" the IRS diff in the frame. Looks like some metal cutting and a bit of a "do over" might be in order in the rear of the frame, but not a biggie. Serves me right for changing my plan. Started out wantin' IRS and wimped out, shoulda stayed with it! Soon as we actually DO something back there in IRS-ville, I'll post a pic.

And, like those two old winos on the TV commercial used to say:
"Thank you for your support"!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 316  Next