LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: May 19, 2012, 10:26 am 

Totally kewl louvers.

Happy birthday to Gayle. Just don't try to tell her that waking up to you each morning is her birthday present. I tried that once. My wife is still laughing.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 19, 2012, 2:48 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
My wife is still laughing.

That's way better then crying. :rofl: You're doing well!

PostPosted: May 19, 2012, 5:40 pm 

Happy birthday to Gayle. Just don't try to tell her that waking up to you each morning is her birthday present. I tried that once. My wife is still laughing.

Cheers,[/quote]

nice one Lonnie :lol: :lol: :cheers:

PostPosted: May 20, 2012, 3:17 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo! Anybody out there???

The mailman brought me cool stuff today, courtesy of Botbasher.
JD Kemp
Glad they went to a worthy home!! It kills me the stuff we throw in the scrap bin. It all gets melted down and recycled, but there are some better uses for it!! :wink:

Happy B-Day Gayle!! Hope you guys enjoyed the beach!!

Cheers!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: June 12, 2012, 10:10 am 

So JD, do we see Slotus in Dragon...

hrk

PostPosted: June 12, 2012, 10:55 am 
We are Slotus!

Ahh, Heikki, thanks for asking... The short answer is "no" but I really do wish the car was ready. I miss hillclimbs, both as a competition and as a social event.

Maybe next year. Gotta finish up the driveline and exhaust and maybe put some bodywork on the car.

Good luck with it, Sir! I hope you get another Top Time!
:cheers:
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 30, 2012, 8:33 pm 

Gonzo, I thought of you today while wandering the pits at the vintages races--there was a real Mallock there :shock:

Though you might enjoy a couple of pics for inspiration. Now get 'er done!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: June 30, 2012, 9:44 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo Tom!
Wow! Thank you... I appreciate the thought and the effort. Great pics too!

That looks to be a Mk 11 or thereabout. They used that rear fender design for quite a few years, but the nose is pretty unique. Not sure what the factory called it, always reminded me of a shark for some reason. Can't say for sure, but I'm gonna guess a Ford lump.

Any idea how they did? Usually pretty quick in the technical "twisty" bits but not that flat-out fast.

Definitely inspiring! Thank you, Sir!

JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 30, 2012, 11:08 pm 
We are Slotus!

Ya know... Looking at the pictures of that Mallock reminds me of why I liked 'em to begin with. Oh, they're great little race cars, with a long and storied history. But they always look a bit... rough... imperfect... improvised. Panels don't match perfectly... The hood is a joke, there's more hole than hood... Bodywork is mostly flat ally sheets, cut to fit and riveted on, or held with Dzus and springs.

Not in Seattle Tom's excellent pictures, but totally part of the character, is the crooked, leanin' over, bent all to hell gearshift levers some of 'em have.
Attachment:
MallockIntr.jpg

I get the feeling that a lot of Mallock details were conceived and built at the track, probably between practice and green flag. Duct tape, baling wire and a hammer were involved...

I like that...

JD "Waxing Poetic" Kemp

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 1, 2012, 1:30 am 

I definitely have to agree with everything you said :shock: ..they sure are a piece of race car modern art.. and have a character all of there own
bent shifter video..and yes dam that guy looks like my twin..he;s a lucky man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhc8FKA1O_U :lol:

PostPosted: July 1, 2012, 1:32 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
That looks to be a Mk 11 or thereabout. They used that rear fender design for quite a few years, but the nose is pretty unique. Not sure what the factory called it, always reminded me of a shark for some reason. Can't say for sure, but I'm gonna guess a Ford lump.
Any idea how they did? Usually pretty quick in the technical "twisty" bits but not that flat-out fast.
JD, you do know your Mallock's. The race program has this one as a 1972 Mark 11B. Motor is 1600cc Ford and it has a 'non-original" solid rear axle. IIRC, this may have been the first race outing for the new owner/driver and he wasn't pressing it in a fast crowd of FF's and smallbore Sportracers on a wet and greasey track. I didn't get to see him run, though. Tomorrow's weather looks to be better.

Quote:
But they always look a bit... rough... imperfect... improvised.
In keeping with your theme, note the script on the scuttle in the picture below. Seems B.S. Levy is there this weekend and a lot of cars were sporting "The Last Open Road" decals, but this is the only car I saw whose decal referenced book 3 of the Buddy Palumbo series :lol:

I really liked the Mallock, though. It has a...well... purposeful look.

For those that follow Buddy Palumbo and friends, BS says the final book of the series (The 200mph Steamroller!, Book 2) will be ready by this Christmas.

As a side note, BS was selling/autographing books just 10' away from where Johnny Rutherford was autographing posters :roll:

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: July 1, 2012, 8:41 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Tom!
HA! That certainly is a Fabulous lookin' Trashwagon they got there!

And look at the hood, somebody kinda traced the outline of the engine (I suspect he had to search for a Sharpie) and then cut to match. No geometrical shapes here, pure free-form...

I also like the little narrow cylinder head and valve cover and then the two big honkin' Webers hangin' off the side! 8)

"Purposeful"... Good way to describe it. Looks like a racecar should.

Thanks for the pictures, Tom! I really appreciate them.
JDK

PostPosted: July 1, 2012, 8:45 am 

laserracer wrote:
I definitely have to agree with everything you said :shock: ..they sure are a piece of race car modern art.. and have a character all of there own
bent shifter video..and yes dam that guy looks like my twin..he;s a lucky man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhc8FKA1O_U :lol:

WOW! Making the shifter before there is a seat, steering wheel or pedals. Talk about thinking ahead!

Bill

PostPosted: July 1, 2012, 8:59 am 

seattletom wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:
Seems B.S. Levy is there this weekend and a lot of cars were sporting "The Last Open Road" decals, but this is the only car I saw whose decal referenced book 3 of the Buddy Palumbo series :lol:

I really liked the Mallock, though. It has a...well... purposeful look.

For those that follow Buddy Palumbo and friends, BS says the final book of the series (The 200mph Steamroller!, Book 2) will be ready by this Christmas.

As a side note, BS was selling/autographing books just 10' away from where Johnny Rutherford was autographing posters :roll:

Mr. Levy does write a good book for car guys. When it comes to his abilities driving a vintage car, the consensus was that he's a good writer (Grins).

But if you haven't read one of his books -- and admittedly, I've only read "Last Open Road" -- it's well worth the time.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: July 1, 2012, 9:30 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Dave-
So, you SURE that wasn't you in that film clip? I know you been workin' on a shifter for the Kiwi Slocost, and then this beardy-lookin guy in the video is welding old, bent-up wrenches onto a shifter... Seems suspicious to meee... :mrgreen:

In the Slotus, with the rearward position of the engine, the shifter is a bit far aft of the drivers hands on the wheel. I'm thinking we're going to have to give it the same treatment that 427 Cobras got, and mount a "bent" shifter backwards so that the bend moves the handle forward. Not sure yet, might just clamp a set of vise-grips on it good and tight... :ack:
Attachment:
Cobra_427_interior.JPG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 316  Next