LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: July 1, 2012, 5:17 pm 

Talkin bout bent shifters :shock:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 1, 2012, 5:24 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yep ^ That's what I need! :mrgreen: Only I'd turn it around and mount it the other way! 8)

:rofl:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 4, 2012, 2:35 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Team Slotus! The meeting will now come to order... (Order... yeah... right...)

Been a while... Things been kinda weird around here. First off, TWWTFM spent most of a week in the hospital with these killer headaches that hurt sorta like migraines but didn't match the other symptoms of migraines. I was pretty worried, but the doctors pumped her full of drugs and she came home a couple days ago. They never did come up with what I'd call a "diagnosis" other than "Chronic daily headache". Wow, Doc, how many years of med school did that take? But I digress... Where were we? Ahhhh, yessss....

Some time back, ol' James and me went to the shop and he worked on the wiring harness. I say "he worked on" it because, as you can see:
Attachment:
5 26 12 Wiring Harness.jpg
He put it on the floor and sat down there to work. He's crazy, like a fox. James knows I hate to "roll around on the floor" trying to work on stuff. He also knew exactly what he wanted to do to the harness. This was his subtle way of telling me to get outta the way and let him do his thing. I figured that out later, after the fact...

The other development is on the exhaust system. After much deliberation, arguing with myself and James, discussion with friends here and in the local SCCA, I bought a set of Mustang "shorty" headers, and we put the one on the passenger side on the engine. I had measured about 26 times, in every direction I could think of, and there was no way to plumb in the block hugger header on that side. So, we're gonna have mismatched headers... Dammit... I did get the same size (diameter, I mean) primary tubes and collector on the new header as on the block huggers. Guess it'll have to do... And no, there's no way to put the other "shorty" on the driver's side.

But in the meantime, there's been more "Fiberglass Madness" at my house. Gayle's daughter Danielle, or as she's known around here, "Hamdip" has been recruited as the newest member of the Team Slotus production group. She's helped do finishing work on drywall and filled in nail holes on some woodworking projects with her boyfriend. Sounded like qualifications to do bodywork on a Slotus, doncha tink? Anyway, I had just fed her hotdogs right off the grill, so I didn't have to pay her...
Attachment:
7 4 12 Dee Glazing FG.jpg
And she did a good job of it, too!

So, again, we're inching our way toward a complete car. Maybe one of these days...

Stay tuned!
Peace, Love and Glazing Putty-
JD Kemp

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 4, 2012, 2:59 pm 

Sorry to hear Gayle's been unwell...kinda had something similar to her once..the pain from the lumbar punture they tried to give me quickly made the headache go away (bloody medical students) Hope she's on the mend...Hamdip ..i love it :) And James lookn like a little boy playing with his toys on the floor (priceless)..stink about the Headers..nails drywall perfect slotus material..Heres an idea matching header made out of drywall and nails :lol: :shock:

your mate in slotus land Kiwi Dave

PS get better soon Gayle

PostPosted: July 4, 2012, 3:20 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Dave-
Hey Buddy, good to hear from you, as always... I didn't mention they did the "lumbar puncture" thing for Gayle too. Nothing... Any-hoo... She's a bit better now.

Hamdip is a trooper! She helps with fiberglass, takes pics at the shop, eats hot dogs and watermelon, is generally a good hand... And she gave me a T-shirt with a Cobra on it for Father's day... Can't beat that! :mrgreen:

Happy July 4 everybody! Fireworks tonight in town. :mrgreen: If it quits rainin, that is... :ack:

Y'all come back now!
:cheers:

PostPosted: July 4, 2012, 3:39 pm 

What a t/ shirt with a cobra on it :shock: ( she's gotta be a keeper )i want one.. much jealous..

we dont celebrate it here in NZ...but...HAPPY 4TH OF JULY.. :D :cheers: To all my mates in the USA

Kiwi Dave

PostPosted: July 4, 2012, 3:45 pm 
The voice of reason

Nothing wrong with the headers. If you custom built them from scratch to fit - they would look different too! Think of each of them as being perfect for that side. It's not going to bother your engine any. Otherwise we would be all worried about single plane cranks and firing orders..

Any chance TWWTFM gave up coffee? That wouldn't be so bad, I guess. Well they probably eliminated a bunch of things so that's good anyway. Hope she feels better.

Good to see the progress!

PostPosted: July 5, 2012, 4:11 pm 

Sorry to hear about the medical drama. That can be so stressful and it's natural to feel that the worst is possible when you have no information to go on. The good news most likely is that her test results were not out of line with norms or they would have kept her for even more tests. We'll think positive and that whatever it was, it was a just passing episode. It could even be exposure to a new chemical at the Slotus workshop.

Keep us posted.

Regards,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 6, 2012, 7:53 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Lonnie-
Thanks for your concern, Bro. I passed your comments along to TWWTFM, who also sends her thanks. You guys are good friends, even if we've never met. Funny world we live in, ain't it? I usually joke with Gayle that she has a "Fan Club" all across the US and even in New Zealand. It's almost true...

Thanks, Lonnie, no joke (from me, that's pretty unusual, too)

Regards-
JD Kemp

PostPosted: July 16, 2012, 9:05 am 
We are Slotus!

Good mornin Slotus Faithful!
We'rrrrrrrre baaaa-aaack! It's been a while, what with family stuff and a shortage of money and things like that, but yesterday we resumed work at Slotus Engineering HQ. Actually, things started on Friday, but we'll get to that.

But first, some sad news. Team Slotus suffered a loss a few days ago. Attack Hose, our faithful security guard and air hose finally gave up the ghost. James was there at the end, fittingly...
Attachment:
RIP Attack Hose.jpg
You see, for years, Attack Hose has defended the shop from outsiders (and even INsiders!). He started out life as a standard issue red rubber air hose. Over time, as the rubber lost its flexibility, the hose showed a definite talent for protecting the shop. You could roll Attack Hose up in nice neat coils and put him flat on the floor or hang him on a hook or on the corner of a chair, and he'd leap off and spread himself concertina-wire fashion across the floor, guaranteed to trip anybody that came near. There were times that I'm sure he actually reached out and grabbed my ankles as I walked by, usually when I was carrying something bulky. (He was dedicated to protecting the shop, but evidently rather near-sighted.)

And then, last week, Attack Hose developed a fatal leak near one quick connect. James tried everything he knew (duct tape and profanity) but it was no use. James says he has a replacement, but I don't think it will ever be the same. Rest in Pieces, Attack Hose... :cry:

Moving on- Friday afternoon, I went over to a local muffler/exhaust shop that James had recommended to get some pipe. I met with Jim, the owner and we discussed what I needed, what kind of car it was going on and whether or not James should be medicated. After agreeing on all counts, he bent up some 2.5 inch exhaust pipe for me. Jim is a cool guy, got a supercharged 4.6 Mustang that he has uhhh... "Tuned Up" a bit. He showed me some dyno sheets with it putting 580+ HP to the wheels. Not bad, eh? Then I described the Slotus to him and HE said I was crazy!?!?!? :shock: But any-hoo, he made some bends for me and I toddled off home. FORTY bucks got me this (I suspect there was a "Friend of James" discount and an "Insanity" discount applied)
Attachment:
7 15 12 Bent Pipe.JPG

So, as is usual with Team Slotus, we took the nice, new piece we'd just gotten and immediately started cutting and hacking and sawing on it. It looked something like this:
Attachment:
7 15 12 Pipe Mayhem.jpg

But soon, after stealing a bit of 2.75 pipe that James had on-hand, the left side exhaust looked like this:
Attachment:
7 15 12 Under Sump Exhaust.jpg
That bit will connect to the hugger header, snake its way under the sump (it'll get header wrapped through that section) and then out the passenger side to a muffler. We made a similar bit for the passenger side, but not nearly as fancy, since it just bends downward and outward and exits the frame next door to its brother from the driver's side. (Sorry, forgot to take a pic)

So at that point we were exhausted :rofl: and had to go home...

Stay tuned for the next installment, when the Slotus and possibly its builder gets muffled!!!
Peace, Love and A Bent Pipe to You, Too-
JD Kemp

PostPosted: July 16, 2012, 10:24 am 

Hey, JD, glad to hear Team Slotus is back on the J-O-B.

Cheers,

P.S. Sorry for your loss.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 16, 2012, 11:16 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Lonnie-
Good to hear from ya, Bro! You've been pretty busy over in your build log, what with parking brakes and turbos and such. Good on ya, Mate! (As Kiwi Dave might say...)
JD

PostPosted: July 16, 2012, 11:37 am 

You working on exhaust? Does that mean you are getting ready to fire up the beastie?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 16, 2012, 11:42 am 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
You working on exhaust? Does that mean you are getting ready to fire up the beastie?

Hey Chuck! We're inching closer to having a "real car"!!! (Sorta like Pinocchio and being a "real boy".)

And, you may have missed it, but we's done fahr'd th' beastie up once! (or twice...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nRnXyawtB0

Good to hear from you, Sir!

PostPosted: July 16, 2012, 12:26 pm 
The voice of reason

Good to hear you guys are back at it.

WRT the attack hose, perhaps our true calling could have been tape engineering! You could imagine the mad scientist lab we would have, pieces of tape stuck everywhere, the occasional manager stuck to a wall or the back of a door.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 316  Next