LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: September 2, 2018, 7:22 am 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
I'm pretty sure when you are upside down, you need to change to LH threads. or something like that. And did you source a torque wrench from down under? You know a US torque wrench won't work in that orientation. Something to do with toilets flushing the opposite way. I do get a little confused after my 1st JD (Jack Daniels).

And it's a good thing you aren't Mr Harvey, as he is no longer with us. I want to see this thing finished, not you! Keep at it JD (the Gonzo kind)
Chuck, are you SURE that was after only ONE Jack Daniels? :rofl:
Thanks for the good wishes, Sir... And everybody else.
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 2, 2018, 3:01 pm 
We are Slotus!

"It's always sumthin" -- Roseann Rosanadana
Saturday afternoon-
Further playing around with the engine showed that one of the lifters has seemingly failed. They're hydraulic, roller type and it had showed some "slack" between arm and rocker when I installed it. With the pump running and oil flowing it still didn't pump up properly. Had some slack in it still with the oil flowing. OK, not a big deal, pull that'n and put a new one in.

Sunday-
HamDip came down to visit, brought JJ with her. I think it was so TWWTFM could get JJ to go to sleep and take her nap, but it had the added benefit of HamDip mowed my lawn whilst I sanded/painted exhaust pipe and headers. Things are starting to come along here, we may actually have our poop in a group here soon. :mrgreen:

Hang in there, Slotus Faithful, we's gonna be something someday!
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 2, 2018, 4:07 pm 

We're all pulling for you JD! Hang in there.

PostPosted: September 2, 2018, 4:12 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Lonnie-S wrote:
@john hennessy
When are you moving to Florida, John? Looks like there's trouble down there.

@GonzoRacer
Take a deep breath, JD. Maybe you should take 10-15 of those. You're talking, what, 50 years of experience with engines in John's case versus our level of knowledge. I've only heard of 1 of those issues myself - priming the oil pump. And, that was last year on the Mustang forums.

Best,

I have heard of packing the oil pump with Vaseline during assembly to get things flowing. That was a common recommendation for Brit cars. Another method was to back-feed fresh oil thru the oil pressure sensor line to prime the pump. Not sure if any of these are current recommended practices. JD, being a MGB guy, probably already knows these tricks. John Hennessy can comment on applicability to American iron.

PostPosted: September 2, 2018, 5:01 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
"It's always sumthin" -- Roseann Rosanadana
Saturday afternoon-
Further playing around with the engine showed that one of the lifters has seemingly failed. They're hydraulic, roller type and it had showed some "slack" between arm and rocker when I installed it. With the pump running and oil flowing it still didn't pump up properly. Had some slack in it still with the oil flowing. OK, not a big deal, pull that'n and put a new one in.

Sunday-
HamDip came down to visit, brought JJ with her. I think it was so TWWTFM could get JJ to go to sleep and take her nap, but it had the added benefit of HamDip mowed my lawn whilst I sanded/painted exhaust pipe and headers. Things are starting to come along here, we may actually have our poop in a group here soon. :mrgreen:

Hang in there, Slotus Faithful, we's gonna be something someday!
JDK

Aint the women in our life great? My wife offered to mow the lawn today so I could do some other stuff. Well.........about 2/3rds of the way thru, the steering shft bushing deided enough wear was enough. She could only turn right. Try to turn left and the pinion gear would slip off the mating part. She helped me tear it down and I ordered parts. Should have them sometime Tuesday.

Enjoy your poop!

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 2, 2018, 11:30 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
So now you know... [Long, overly dramatic pause] ...The Rest Of the Story!

Thanks for sharing your experiences JD, great awareness for those rebuilding engines. :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: September 3, 2018, 8:56 pm 
We are Slotus!

Two Steps Forward and Three Steps Back, AGAIN!!!
I've done so many steps forward and then back it's feelin' more like a barn dance than an engine build...

horchoha wrote:
Thanks for sharing your experiences JD, great awareness for those rebuilding engines. :cheers:
Kind words indeed, Perry. I hope this diatribe will someday, somehow be helpful to another builder. If not, at least y'all got a laugh or two (or 17) out of it all...

OK, remember that "bad lifter" problem I was talking about? I went to the parts store this morning and bought me a shiny new lifter for the ol' motor and then trundled* off home to install it. Did so, put the push rod back in and the rocker arm and then pumped up the oil pressure again. That one was still sloppy, showing slack between push rod and rocker. I tried a different push rod. No difference. Then it finally dawned on me that I also wasn't seeing oil flow out of that rocker like I was on the others.

*Are y'all familiar with the word "trundle"? As in "trundled off home"? Think about how a Possum walks, or a rhino, or maybe an old, tired VW Beetle leaving a stop light. Or a Citroen 2CV... Yeah, like that... :ack:

So a little further inspection was called for. Found the culprit, I did... Look at this picture of a "good" rocker arm, from underneath--
Attachment:
09 03 18 Good Rocker.jpg
Near the top of the picture, see the dark piece in the end there? It's a hardened seat of some kind that fits into the Al-You-Minny-Umm body of the rocker arm for the push rod to nestle into. It "seats" the push rod and channels the oil flow out of the rod down onto the rocker itself. Now, the rocker that was loose, same pose--
Attachment:
09 03 18 Bad Rocker.jpg
That dark piece is missing! That's the origin of the slop in the fit and the reason that oil wasn't being channeled to the top of the rocker. There's also a divot out of the rocker arm itself, perhaps related to the "seat" going missing.

Summit racing will be more than happy to send me one new rocker arm, and while I was at it I ordered some shiny new stainless steel bolts to hold the headers on. Should be here about Wednesday. So check back with us, we'll be having even more fun then.

Peace, Love and Trundling Possums-
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 6, 2018, 10:10 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo! Anybody awake out there???
We are breathlessly awaiting the shipment from Summit Racing with that replacement rocker arm. Yesterday, I installed the intake manifold using new (and shiny!) stainless steel bolts. In the same shipment as the rocker arm are some new (and shiny!) header bolts. The result of all that is that I can't install the valve covers until I put the new rocker in place and I can't install the headers until I get the new (and shiny!) bolts.

Sooo.... What to do? What to do? PAINT SOMETHING! I gave a fresh coat of hi-temp to the headers/exhaust system and to the "Powered by Ford" valve covers I got from Earl some time back. Got to lookin' at those valve covers...
Attachment:
09 05 18 Artiste at Work.jpg
And, wisely, took my ideas and handed 'em over to TWWTFM, the artistic one in the family. When she was done and we'd let the paint dry a bit and peeled the tape off, this is what we got:
Attachment:
09 05 18 Valve Cover Art2.jpg
I might be biased (MIGHT be???) but I think they's lookin' outstanding! (and shiny!)

Now if the UPS man would just get here... :mrgreen:

Peace, Love "and Shiny!" --
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 6, 2018, 11:51 am 

We're awake out here, JD.

I did get an ear full from my two sheep dogs about that 4-legged critter, which look like a cross-dressing sheep, posted elsewhere. The youngest one required a lot of comforting after seeing the photo on my monitor (below). It just took a cookie to get the older one back on track. But, we don't have to talk any more about that. They've calmed down now.
Attachment:
Cuddling-with-Anne-in-Idyllwild.jpg

Attachment:
Skyla-Close-up-Small.jpg

Good luck with your goodie delivery.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 6, 2018, 10:29 pm 
We are Slotus!

Pssssst! Hey Y'all! Don't tell nobody, but we is about to have an engine...
Attachment:
09 06 18 Engine!.jpg

PostPosted: September 7, 2018, 12:01 am 

Looking good JD!
I find it very satisfying putting an engine together, and then turning the key and enjoying the fruits of your labor.
And the smell of a rebuilt engine as it burns off all the assembly oils, it's something you never forget.

PostPosted: September 7, 2018, 12:51 am 

Mighty purdy engine JD. Now let's see it run. Bet it runs as purdy as it looks!

PostPosted: September 7, 2018, 8:13 am 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie-
I apologize for traumatizing the dogs. Never meant for that to happen. But then, what kind of dog-owner would let his pets read my forum posts? :mrgreen:

Perry, Larry-
Thank you Gentlemen, I appreciate the compliments. Like y'all said, now I wanna finish stuffing the lump into the chassis and hook everything up and hear that thang run. :mrgreen: It's been a bit of a struggle with this rebuild, but I learned a lot along the way and I kinda feel good about doing it. How-Some-Every, like they say, "The Proof is in The Pudding" -- Although I don't know what the hell pudding has to do with it. (I hope it's Butterscotch pudding, that's my favorite!)

My schedule this weekend will not include much shop time. It's a family vacation weekend (Think "Griswolds") and thanks to HamDip, we have reservations at some resort place in Orlando with a waterpark and all kinds of stuff. We're taking both grandkids along as well as their Mamas and Earl. Should be fun... I'll probably manage to get sunburned.

But we'll be back at it soon. Stay tuned, we'll do something, even if it's Barbaric! :mrgreen:

JDK

PostPosted: September 7, 2018, 8:30 am 

JD yelling and screaming all the way down a water slide in his European style swim suit.
I can't get that image outta my head now........................

PostPosted: September 7, 2018, 8:46 am 
We are Slotus!

gonzoracer wrote:
I'll probably manage to get sunburned.
horchoha wrote:
JD yelling and screaming all the way down a water slide in his European style swim suit. I can't get that image outta my head now........................
Hmmm... Maybe I should have said "I'll probably manage to get sunburned in some unusual places"... :ack: :puke:
Think about THAT all weekend! :rofl:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261 ... 316  Next