LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: April 8, 2014, 9:46 pm 
We are Slotus!

Why, Marcus! I'm hurt... I said
Quote:
Would ya settle for the "Fastest Slotus in Florida" title??? That is, iffen I can stay ahead of HamDip and James...
And then you start in with:
horizenjob wrote:
Go Hamdip! :cheers:

Geeze, and I thought we wuz friends... :(

Hey Buddy... Just kiddin'... Good to hear from you! Yes, we had a pretty successful test day at the Pony Wars event. The next SCCA Solo2 event is at the end of the month, and I'm going to start with the same settings I used at Pony Wars, and maybe try one "notch" stiffer on the sway bar after lunch break, just to see what happens. James and I looked at the front end the other night, discussing modifications to the coil-over mounts to reduce the angle of the front coilovers and maybe using stiffer springs up there. We'll see how April 27th goes...

Other'n that, how the heck are ya? Give my regards to your "better half" and the little Horizens runnin' around.
Come see us!
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 8, 2014, 9:48 pm 
We are Slotus!

raceral wrote:
cheapracer wrote:
Yeah, but at what?

What else is there, beer and ribs...

Al

Hey Al! I might not win that contest, but I'd damn sure like to try! Sign me up...
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 17, 2014, 10:02 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Hey Cheapy!
How's the dog stew this morning?
Peace, Love and Mandarin Chicken-
JDK

On that subject, I just wanted to show a preview of the new educational program here directed at children for the benefit of their health, here is an example ...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 17, 2014, 10:26 am 
We are Slotus!

Ohhh, CR, that is just wrong... Bad... Totally non-PC...
And funny as hell! :rofl:

PostPosted: April 28, 2014, 10:17 pm 
We are Slotus!

*Lyndon Johnson voice*
Mah fellow Slotus Fans... Ah come to yew tonight with a heavy heart...
*Enough o' that, back to what passes for normal around here*

So here we go with a half a race report! It was a great half of a race. Right up to the point where the engine blew, things were wonderful...
Last time we talked, I had come from the Steeda event with some muchly improved handling thanks to the front sway bar. James and I had a plan in mind where at the Solo2 I would start off with the settings from Steeda and then try one setting stiffer on the sway bar, just to see if we'd get any "push" at that point. We were thinking it might guide us in going stiffer on the front springs, or how much to modify the mounts for the coilovers to give a stiffer wheel rate.

That plan was working fine as I made my three runs in the morning session. Car was handling good, turn in was great, no "lift throttle oversteer" at all and maybe just a touch of understeer on high speed corners. Perfect!

Then it was The HamDip's turn to drive. She made one run and the car seemed to be doing good, tires were coming up to temp and then the upper radiator hose sprung a leak. She came off course and we pushed the car off to the side. Repaired the hose in a few minutes, cranked it up and added coolant while it idled. Temp gauge was reading 190 when we started, dropped to 180, then a bit lower. HamDip went back to grid and made her second run. When she got back to grid, the guy running grid called me over. He'd had her shut it down because the engine was knocking. I asked her to fire it up, and sure 'nuff, knock-knock-knock. We pushed it back to the trailer. She was totally bummed out, felt like it was her fault, and was actually teary-eyed about it. Tried to explain it was "one of those things" but she didn't buy it. That bummed me out more than the engine, honestly...

So, the next adventure for our intrepid band o'crazies: Team Slotus builds an engine!!! Hang around, this oughta be EPIC!!!
(Background voice, Bubba saying, "What's epic mean, any ways???")

See y'all soon...
JDK

PostPosted: April 28, 2014, 10:44 pm 
Toyotaphobe

GonzoRacer wrote:
Hang around, this oughta be EPIC!!!

See y'all soon...
JDK

If it's any more EPIC than the build maybe we all ought to move out of the country till you're through. Boy I sure hope there's something left to move back to!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 28, 2014, 10:53 pm 

To quote Roseanne Roseannadanna, "It just goes to show you, it's always something! If it's not one thing, it's another!"

Sorry to hear about your loss. Tell Hamdip she is not responsible. I can't wait to see the build! At some point you're gonna have to start a new re-build log. You have rebuit a lot. It is soon approaching a 2nd car :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 29, 2014, 6:15 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Chuck!
Start a re-build log? WHAT? Stop posting in here... And give up show business??? :rofl:

Don't be too sorry for my loss, Bro. That was an old, tired engine out of a $500 Craigs List car with 200k on the odometer. We cleaned it up, put some new gaskets and seals in it, painted the valve covers and intake and called it a day. Iffen you remember, there was a problem with low oil pressure at a hot idle some time back. James and I had already talked about building an engine for it soon. We hadn't really planned to do it quite this soon, but it's as good a time as any, I reckon.

The plan was/is to use that engine as a development motor while we dialed in the chassis and trained the shaved ape behind the wheel. I think it has pretty well done that, almost... The ape could use more lessons, but Oh Well... We can build a new 5-0 with a tad bit more HP but with an eye to further hot-rod modifications down the road. As we continue to tweak and change the setup, and I get more accustomed to driving the beast, we can add more horsies. The road goes ever on and on...

Carguy: Try not to get caught sneaking into Mexico... Could be bad... Or when you said "out of the country" did you mean more like going to New Jersey or North Dakota or something??? :mrgreen: Either way, be careful, Bro!

Peace, Love and "Extended Vacations"
JDK

PostPosted: April 29, 2014, 8:36 am 

D*m :ack: Just when you're getting the set-up to work.
I always love how this $hit happens at the front of the race reason.
That rebuild check list might need a gated and baffled oil pan.
Dave W

PostPosted: April 29, 2014, 8:46 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
That rebuild check list might need a gated and baffled oil pan

Hi Dave!
If what they say about like minds following the same channel is true, you should be worried... James talked to me Sunday about doing just that. :roll: He's concerned that the oil is "climbing" the sides of the sump whilst I'm cornering and that's what led to the failure.

OK, the 'straight' answer... Yep, that's a very good suggestion. 'Preciate you lookin' in on us!
JDK

PostPosted: April 29, 2014, 10:12 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Quote:
That rebuild check list might need a gated and baffled oil pan

Hi Dave!
If what they say about like minds following the same channel is true, you should be worried... James talked to me Sunday about doing just that. :roll: He's concerned that the oil is "climbing" the sides of the sump whilst I'm cornering and that's what led to the failure.

Gonzo, please, just overfill it by a quart ;-)

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: April 29, 2014, 10:16 am 
We are Slotus!

robbovius wrote:
Gonzo, please, just overfill it by a quart ;-)

The Slotus, or James? Or me? Or DaveW? Possibilities are endless...

PostPosted: April 29, 2014, 10:39 am 
Toyotaphobe

GonzoRacer wrote:

Carguy: Try not to get caught sneaking into Mexico... Could be bad... Or when you said "out of the country" did you mean more like going to New Jersey or North Dakota or something??? :mrgreen: Either way, be careful, Bro!

JDK

NOBODY goes to Jersey on purpose!!!!!!!!! No I was thinking more along the lines of Australia or somewhere far enough away so that we wouldn't get caught in the blast. There's no one in North Dakota to get hurt.

I'd vote for another junkyard engine. It's fast & easy and it's not like you really need lots more power than you had.

I've been caught up with building a 5.0 "right". I missed a whole season of racing and then got tired of the car soon after and sold it. I lost a lot of fun time.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 29, 2014, 11:11 am 

Sorry to hear about the engine. Now that you have the hard stuff done like building the car, maybe you can find a nice little engine out of a parted-out Mustang to get you through the season without a lot of work? Doing the baffled oil pan sounds like pretty cheap prevention at this point. But, hey, with 200K miles and then being pounded at the Solo events, it was probably just tired.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 29, 2014, 7:25 pm 

Quote:
So, the next adventure for our intrepid band o'crazies: Team Slotus builds an engine!!! Hang around, this oughta be EPIC!!!

Slotus green con rods and purple push rods!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 316  Next