LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently September 19, 2018, 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3907 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245 ... 261  Next
PostPosted: February 5, 2018, 11:24 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Ohhh,

Sure, I was just trying to build my car for you with your money, it's the internet way. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: February 5, 2018, 12:09 pm 
We are Slotus!

cheapracer wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:
Ohhh,

Sure, I was just trying to build my car for you with your money, it's the internet way. :mrgreen:
If we're doing "The Internet Way" then I think I was supposed to be offended and fire back a six-page invective filled rant about you, your Mama, your political leanings and something about health care or some politician. Guess I screwed that up... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 5, 2018, 4:46 pm 
The voice of reason

Really sorry to hear of your tribulations. The plans of mice and men or some such. Particularly cruel for you to think it was OK, just to have your dreams crushed. We both already have the t-shirt, but it doesn't seem to matter some times.

I have a junkyard yard 302 from a Ford Explorer. They don't have the distributor, something to keep in mind. Your welcome to come and get it!

I would say get another junk yard engine while you figure out what to do. That will cost the spare change of trying to go forward with a good motor so you might as well anyway. We'll have to think of a good use for "ex-engines"...

PostPosted: February 5, 2018, 11:17 pm 

I agree, pick used engine, install and have fun. Up north we have the luxury of 6 months winter so we have time to rebuild engines. When you live in warm climates like you do JD, you can't afford to spend time rebuilding when you could be out there havin' a blast with your car 12 months/year.
Now back to your regular scheduled programming.......

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O.
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build, The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered

PostPosted: February 6, 2018, 7:53 am 

GonzoRacer!!! the suspense is killing me [us]. :D
Are you choosing Door #1, Door #2, or Door #3.
Dave W

PostPosted: February 6, 2018, 8:43 am 

davew wrote:
Dave W

It doesn't matter. Remember, the final line was always "good choice". Equal unknowns, results in an equal "final answer".

Bill

PostPosted: February 6, 2018, 8:53 am 

davew wrote:
Dave W

So, if you 1st eliminate one door, and choose one of the remaining doors, then someone asks "would you like to change doors?", do you switch doors?

If you don't know what to do, change doors. it increases your odds (amazingly).

Come on JD. Inquiring minds want to know......

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my active Cushman Truckster resurrection log: over HERE
or my archival Locost build log: over HERE

PostPosted: February 6, 2018, 8:59 am 
We are Slotus!

davew wrote:
Sorry, Gentlemen, didn't mean to leave y'all hanging...

In the Team Slotus time/money continuum, it seems there is enough of each to work on a race car or to go racing. I understand the "go racing, have fun AND build the motor" idea, but I don't think I can make it work. Part of that is my own innate laziness, I admit. Part of it is I need time for Pappa Bear duties as a grandparent. And then there's the financial end of things. Sigh... Y'all know how that goes.

So, I think I'm gonna re-build the motor, like Chuck said, so I know what's in there, and then go racing. It'll be fun either way, and I won't be burnin' it at both ends. And, in true Team Slotus fashion, even if I DO know what's in there, we will still be tempting the gods of fate when I get it running and go to the track!

Peace, Love and Burnin' Both Ends-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 6, 2018, 9:02 am 
We are Slotus!

Bubba wants to know:

"Where's them doors those fellers is talkin bout? I don't see no doors, ceptin' the garage door???"

See what y'all have done? NOW how am I gonna explain this one??? It's gonna be almost as bad as that time he saw "The Matrix" on TV. Took a week to calm him down... :rofl:

JDK

PostPosted: February 6, 2018, 10:46 pm 

Tell Bubba he has to read the instruction manual before he can operate the doors. .. It's an OSHA thang just like them funny suspenders with the long rope attached to the back that they make us wear.
Here's a copy; http://psychedelicfrontier.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/The-Doors-Of-Perception-Aldous-Huxley.pdf

PostPosted: February 6, 2018, 11:27 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I have confidence you'll "Git er done" and we'll probably have some fun in the process.

This is like a soap opera - "As the Slotus turns"

And I'm sure you'll give us suspenseful endings, just don't go off marryin' 2-3 gals at the same time or discovering a long lost twin brother as they do in them daytime soap operas.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 7, 2018, 3:49 am 

Given where you are at, I'm not sure changing sides makes sense. I know it's not a serious thought, but it would be an engine, transmission and all those pesky clutch parts. Plus the usual odds and ends. And the time. And the wiring. And the br@ckets...

For my LS project I opted for a budget aluminum block LS, the L33. It's a 5.3 liter truck engine with good heads that starts with 310 HP and a bit more torque right out of the box. Also, all LS engines have aluminum heads, but different versions breath differently. Right now I would think an L33 should be fairly affordable. The trucks they were in are now about 10 years old. The real pain in an LS swap is the cost of a transmission, unless you have something that can swap bell housings or use an adapter plate. For the record, my LS project is not the little old Lotus; not quite that suicidal.

Sorry to hear about all the problems, your car really seems to be putting up quite the fight. At least now you should have a fairly clear path towards getting back to having fun.

PostPosted: February 10, 2018, 9:18 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Erioshi!
Been a while, how the hell are ya? As you can see chronicled here, I'm doing fine but the DogAss Slotus ain't so good at the moment.

You are correct on several counts, mainly the "LS Conversion" bit was not serious. And the br@ckets... That does it! No Bow-Tie for me...

How-some-ever, speaking of br@ckets... Before things get any more heavy-duty (and expensive) in the engine bay, there's another l'il problem I've been lookin' at that needs some attention. The rear control arms ain't quite right. They have a tendency to bind on the bushing ends a bit. I took the driver's side lower off the other day and began looking at rebuilding them. I think I'm gonna do that first, and then get back to the engine work.

Besides, right now with the rear suspension taken apart, I can't move the car, which makes things more difficult when I pull the engine.

Stay tuned, we'll be right back...
:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: February 14, 2018, 12:52 pm 

I have been hanging on and doing alright, kinda busy as usual. Hoping I can find a bit of time this summer to get at least one toy back on the road.

Cheapracer posted a thread a while back on trailing arm design that I found really interesting. I'm sure you've seen it before, but here's the link:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13741

Actually, you commented in the thread, lol.

Ah well, hope this helps others who may someday read of this legend.

It seems that legend is currently the trendy way of referring to a story or myth from Inuit culture. I only know this because I was about to call this mighty tale a saga, but realized that might be a bit too Norse specific. So of course I had to invoke the all-pseudo-knowing powers of Google. YMMV, of course...

PostPosted: February 14, 2018, 5:59 pm 
Toyotaphobe

erioshi wrote:

It seems that legend is currently the trendy way of referring to a story or myth from Inuit culture. I only know this because I was about to call this mighty tale a saga, but realized that might be a bit too Norse specific. So of course I had to invoke the all-pseudo-knowing powers of Google. YMMV, of course...

There will be no living with JD now that he's officially a Legend!!!!!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3907 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245 ... 261  Next