LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently July 21, 2019, 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 293  Next
PostPosted: July 19, 2018, 5:22 pm 

I tuned in late to this Team Slotus (mis-) adventure, but my belated observation is, "At least the hole wasn't in your head." Well, I think that's a better outcome, anyway. :roll:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 19, 2018, 7:09 pm 

Wow, many people stick themselves with a drill and make a hole in their skin but few people have the fortitude (*) to keep on drilling until the bit goes through the finger and makes a second hole on the way out. You are special!!

(*) - you can substitute a word of your own choosing for "fortitude". Many others, probably less complimentary, come to mind.

PostPosted: July 19, 2018, 8:09 pm 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie-S wrote:
I tuned in late to this Team Slotus (mis-) adventure, but my belated observation is, "At least the hole wasn't in your head." Well, I think that's a better outcome, anyway.
Hi Lonnie! Ya know, whether having a hole in my head would be a bad thing probably depends on who you ask... But she's not here right now. :mrgreen:

And besides, those were your standard hardware store kind of drill bits. I think to actually penetrate my cranium-bone, you'd need something more substantial, probably with diamonds set in a carbide matrix. :mrgreen:

BHRmotorsport wrote:
(*) - you can substitute a word of your own choosing for "fortitude". Many others, probably less complimentary, come to mind
Bill, look back to my response to SeattleTom... I believe the word "Stupid" came up... Tom deflected it nicely, always the gentleman, but I can assure you that's how I felt at the time. And thank you for not being more... Uhhh... "descriptive" as well. :mrgreen:

It's really only one hole. Bit went in, slipped off to one side, came out. Got my attention, for sure, but it didn't actually go through my thumb.

'Preciate you folks stopping by!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 19, 2018, 8:27 pm 

i have noted in the past on several occasions that when a job just won't go right a blood sacrifice is required to the god of tools, after that it's funny how everything goes smoothly.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: July 20, 2018, 6:55 am 
We are Slotus!

Raccoonman wrote:
I can attest to the anger encased inside a 1/2" hammer drill....
I've wrestled with a few of those myself, usually drilling holes in concrete. Electric wolverine is a good description. Angle grinders are their crazier cousins. Up until recently, I thought regular 3/8 drills were pretty well domesticated. I'm re-thinking that now!

john hennessy wrote:
i have noted in the past on several occasions that when a job just won't go right a blood sacrifice is required to the god of tools, after that it's funny how everything goes smoothly.
Hi John! Are you my neighbor yet??? I just finished washing the Arizona out of those rocker arms. You were correct about the desert dust that had blown in there...

And yes, sometimes the gods of all things mechanical require a blood offering. My daughter Allyne had a Hyundai that I attempted to work on numerous times. Every single time, I needed antiseptic and bandages before the job was done. Thank God she sold it, before the damn thing bled me to death!

Good to hear from y'all! Come on back any time-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 20, 2018, 11:21 am 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
A co-worker had a wire brush cup mounted on an angle grinder that had a sliding switch. He set it down making sure (?) it had stopped turning, but hit the switch by accident and it took off up his pants leg. I seem to recall stitches being needed...... and a new angle grinder, because he took a ball pein hammer to that one

PostPosted: July 20, 2018, 11:39 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
You were correct about the desert dust that had blown in there...
JDK

As a former resident of the California Mojave Desert, I can attest to the persistently invasive behaviour of "Desert Dust"!

:ack:

PostPosted: July 21, 2018, 6:39 am 
We are Slotus!

Attachment:
7 14 2018 Descent Into Madness.jpg
7 14 2018 Descent Into Madness.jpg [ 766.12 KiB | Viewed 1033 times ]
And so it begins, another descent into madness...
When I wasn't on the roof of the trailer trying to injure myself, I laid out the crank and some other stuff to begin re-assembling the motor.
Oh, and cleaning stuff...
Attachment:
IMG_20180714_174349026.jpg
IMG_20180714_174349026.jpg [ 698.53 KiB | Viewed 1033 times ]

And cleaning stuff...
Attachment:
IMG_20180714_180909829.jpg
IMG_20180714_180909829.jpg [ 757.53 KiB | Viewed 1033 times ]

And cleaning stuff...
Attachment:
IMG_20180715_204233879.jpg
IMG_20180715_204233879.jpg [ 771.5 KiB | Viewed 1033 times ]
That last is actually after the parts were clean and I put them in some 30wt to soak up the goodness while they're waiting to get installed. They got covered to keep the reptiles out.
Attachment:
IMG_20180715_204414117.jpg
IMG_20180715_204414117.jpg [ 693.16 KiB | Viewed 1033 times ]

Also cleaned up but not pictured were the valve covers and intake. Then the only thing left that needed a bath was me!

This weekend I'm hoping to make some actual progress at putting the little pieces into the big piece and moving forward towards making the big piece go vroom-vroom.

In the meantime, I'm gonna finish this cup of coffee (French Market coffee and chicory, just like in NOLA!) and maybe have another.
Y'all come back now, ya heah!?

JDK

PostPosted: July 22, 2018, 8:48 am 
We are Slotus!

Sunday morning... Same coffee, different underwear...

Yesterday morning I did the Plasti-gage thing with the main bearings. I guess it came out OK... The acceptable range, according to the info from Scat (crank manufacturer) I was looking at is .001 to .003. Numbers 1 thru 4 all read .0015 with #2 bearing being a bit tight. Still right at .0015, just nottttttt quite there. The #5 main (at the back of the block) read .002.

Honestly, I haven't done enough of this kind of stuff to have an opinion on whether I wish is was more like .002 all across the board, but I'm kinda concerned that the tolerances are on the "tight" end of the spectrum. James (my trained Ford mechanic) didn't seem too worried, but he did say if would have been nice if the machine shop had polished that crank down a leeeetle bit more so they all read .002.

I also wonder (out loud, in front of witnesses) if it might be a good thing that it's on the "tight" side initially so that it's not too sloppy after break-in. That theory kind of makes sense to me but then again, I'm new at this. (i.e.: "I ain't no mechanic!")

What do y'all think?

Oh, and the rest of the day: I watched my DVR recording of quallies from F1 in Germany, took a little nap, and then we went out to an early dinner with HamDip, Earl, Aunt Possum, Hand Grenade and Ducky to celebrate Earl's birthday. (Or possibly the anniversary of his hatching...) Went to a place called Siam Sushi which has (Surprise!) sushi and various Asian foods. I had a fried calamari appetizer and the Thai Red Curry with shrimp. Good stuff!

Little JJ likes fried calamari, we discovered. Her Mama didn't think she'd eat it but when she saw me eating it she -of course- wanted some. Her younger cousin, Ducky, tried it too but he doesn't have enough teeth to chew it yet. He thought it was a teething toy, probably. We'll try him again later.

Then we all went back to HamDip House and lit candles on a key lime pie (Earl's favorite) and sang happy birthday and generally had a good time chasing babies around the living room. At one point JJ was growling at me (because she's a scary monster) and I said in my best frightened boy-soprano voice, "Oh, I'm so Scared!" and then Ducky came wobbling over and hugged me around the knees. It was either that he was trying to make me feel better, or that all 28 pounds of him was gonna protect me. Either way... Great moment... Life is good...

Peace, Love and GrandKids-
JDK

PostPosted: July 22, 2018, 10:20 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
What do y'all think?

You should be good, sounds like #2 is still within spec.
Make sure you align the thrust bearing before torquing it down and then confirm you have crank end play.
But you most likely know all this already.

GonzoRacer wrote:
Love and GrandKids

= Priceless

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O.
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build, The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered

PostPosted: July 25, 2018, 11:59 am 

Hi JD
i hope that the bearings don't bed in as wear in that location would continue unabated

as a point of interest, if you are worried about tight clearances you may be able to get bearings with a little more clearance, do an internet search.

before you install the pistons, mach them to the bores and check the ring end gap and size them to each bore standard practice is .004" per inch of bore but if you are going to lean on it which i think you are, then aim for about .020" in your case with a 4" bore.

remember that the bevel side of the rod journal faces out and to check the gap between the rods, shuffling the rods from one journal to another can get this as close to spec.

if you have one with a larger gap then try to get this at the opposite end of the crank to the oil supply

if you are using floating wrist pins, check and re check the locks on them

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: July 26, 2018, 8:05 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi John! Thanks for looking in on things.
Quote:
i hope that the bearings don't bed in as wear in that location would continue unabated
Can you explain that? Pretend you're talking to a nominally intelligent 14 year old. I don't know what you mean, honestly.

Quote:
as a point of interest, if you are worried about tight clearances you may be able to get bearings with a little more clearance, do an internet search.
The folks I have talked to- James and some other folk that build engines- say the clearances I measured are within tolerance and not to worry.

Quote:
before you install the pistons, match them to the bores and check the ring end gap and size them to each bore standard practice is .004" per inch of bore but if you are going to lean on it which i think you are, then aim for about .020" in your case with a 4" bore.
A little while ago, I checked all the ring gaps, and installed the rings on the piston that is destined to go in the cylinder that was used to check the gap. In other words, I checked the gaps on a set of rings in cylinder #4, put those rings on the piston that is going into #4. Labelled the pistons/rods with a sharpie! I don't have the numbers in front of me, but the gaps ran from about .017 to .022 as best I remember. Again, I discussed the gaps with James/Earl and a couple of other racin' buddies and the consensus was that we are OK.

Quote:
if you are using floating wrist pins, check and re check the locks on them
I fought with those little bastards putting them in. I will check that they are still in place before I install pistons. Thanks for the reminder!

Peace, Love and "Assembly Lube"-
JDK

PostPosted: July 26, 2018, 3:11 pm 

:lurking:

BTW, Speaking of sharpies, I saw this one last week laying on the floor in a shipping dock in Kodiak, AK. I thought it might be an escapee so I took a mug shot for you identification. But based on your last post, I guess you have yours. Nevermind! :cheers:

Attachments:
sharpie.JPG
sharpie.JPG [ 70.89 KiB | Viewed 846 times ]

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE
PostPosted: July 26, 2018, 10:27 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hellllooooo Team Slotus!

I have to report on a really most extraordinary day that I had today. It doesn't include one iota of actual work done to the Slotus, but it was still one of the better days in the history of mankind. OK, maybe not in the entire history of the entire race of man... But still...

About 6 or 8 months ago my buddy Prescott acquired a 1962 Studebaker Hawk. Partially restored, but needing some mechanical work. He's put a lot of time into it since, upgrading to an alternator, adding disk brakes on the front, freshening up the engine and the engine bay a bit (as in, new radiator) and so forth. He added "period correct" aftermarket air conditioning (little box that hangs under the dash) for those Florida summers.
Attachment:
Prescott's Studebaker.jpg
Prescott's Studebaker.jpg [ 928.95 KiB | Viewed 822 times ]

We had lunch together on Tuesday and he asked if I'd like to ride up to Valdosta with him to take some MG-A parts to the machine shop. Sure, I'm game... Then he said "How about we take the Studebaker?" I was for damn sure "game" then. And so off we went in the Studebaker, cruisin' down the highway in style. Dropped off the parts at the shop, ate some good bar-be-cue and cruised on back to TLH. The ol' girl never missed a beat. It was cool, lemme tell ya!

Ahhh, actual "Build Log" content here: When I got back to the house, USPS had delivered the new set of pushrods (actual straight ones!) that I'd ordered a few days ago.

Next thing, I looked in here and saw Chuck's post with the "Escapee" Sharpie picture. I was amazed! I know, it's just a snapshot of a pen lying on the floor. No big deal, right? WRONG! Chuck saw it, thought of Team Slotus and took a picture just to post in here. Stopped while on his vacation with family (and bears) and thought of my string of Sharpie jokes and took the picture. I'm waaa-aaay more complimented and pleased than I can express. Thank you Chuck, for posting that, it really gave me a good laugh and a humble moment, thinking of how this great group of guys that I've never met have become such good friends. That was also a cool thing.

Later still, while I was sitting in my armchair drinking a cold fizz-water, I saw an email thru the forum from Perry/Horchoha asking about a phone app that would let us talk "free" from US to Canada. I told him I had it on my phone and damned if he didn't video call me! He was out in the shop, been working on the Topolino and was going to fly some R/C planes and stopped to call and talk about rebuilding engines and stuff. We had a great conversation, about rebuilding my 5.0 Ford, about his model airplanes and his "real" full size airplane he built a few years ago, about names and nick-names and why Southerners are sometimes called by their initials and just generally had a good visit. It was really amazing, talking and looking at each other (two old guys with big moustaches!) from a few thousand miles apart. Again, kind of humbling that one of "the guys" in here would take the time to video-call and just chat.

If that wasn't enough, TWWTFM had made a batch of home-made lasagna which was sitting on the oven waiting to be eaten as soon as Perry and I hung up the phone. It was good stuff!

And that's it, so far... Perhaps it hasn't been THE Best Day in the history of mankind, but it's gotta be in the top 10, doncha think?

Thank you Prescott, and Chuck and Perry! Love y'all!
JDK

PostPosted: July 27, 2018, 12:27 am 

Real good day, JD. Agreed. :thmbsup:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 293  Next