LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently September 23, 2019, 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255 ... 296  Next
PostPosted: July 27, 2018, 3:48 am 

I Ditto Lonnie!

PostPosted: July 28, 2018, 11:57 pm 
Toyotaphobe

JD I has a theory.

There is only one Sharpie in the whole world and it appears periodically. It appeared at my house today, but I didn't need it. I thought I was going to need it as Long Island Locost was due at my house today and we'd discussed needing it so possibly the Fates delivered it just in time.

I'm thinking that you probably needed it but it was sitting unused at my place so I apologize.

Attachments:
THE Sharpie.jpg
THE Sharpie.jpg [ 100.66 KiB | Viewed 849 times ]

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.
PostPosted: July 29, 2018, 2:03 am 

Holy heart failure Batman!
Just as I was reading carguy's post I thought I seen a Sharpie whiz past in my peripheral vision! And now it's time to go to bed :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O.
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build, The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered

PostPosted: July 29, 2018, 8:31 am 
We are Slotus!

carguy123 wrote:
There is only one Sharpie in the whole world and it appears periodically. It appeared at my house today, but I didn't need it. I thought I was going to need it as Long Island Locost was due at my house today and we'd discussed needing it so possibly the Fates delivered it just in time.

horchoha wrote:
Just as I was reading carguy's post I thought I seen a Sharpie whiz past in my peripheral vision!
Both of you guys are doing some serious drugs... And I need to ask you... WHY DON'T YOU SHARE?!?!?! :mrgreen:

David, you may well be onto something there with the "Single Sharpie Theory." However, as a long-time victim of Hide-a-Sharpies, I think you're being too benevolent towards them. It's more like that Sharpie knew you wouldn't need it, so it appeared at your house. Somewhere, in some small shop, a guy was wandering around looking for that Sharpie that he just knew was in his tool box that morning. Evil little bastiges, they are! :evil:

I didn't need a Sharpie today, I was busy breaking off a main bearing stud in the block. All but one of mine are ARP studs/washers/nuts. There's one position on a 302 that uses an oddball bolt with a smaller threaded stud sticking up out of the top. The pickup line for the oil pump hangs from it. I had re-used the Ford bolt when I last rebuilt the motor. It's from 1992 and I guess it just couldn't take the abuse any longer. I got the broken-off bit out without too much drama, just lots of profanity.

Now I have to see if I can find that other ARP fastener from the last set and figure a way to attach the pickup tube. Or find another Ford bit for it. Or order another whole set from Summit with one longer stud for that position. I know, I know, I should have ordered that one to begin with two years ago. I didn't. In the list of "Bad Decisions" of my life that one don't even make the top 100... :mrgreen:

Ahh, but today is another day... And the coffee is hot. See y'all after while...

:cheers:
Peace, Love and "Broke the *+#@^! Bolt!"
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 31, 2018, 8:27 am 
We are Slotus!

Engine Building is a tedious pastime.

I was putting pistons/rods in the block yesterday. It was "mizzable hot" in the shop. I don't have a thermometer out there, but Shop Snake was fanning himself with a magnolia leaf...

I say I was putting pistons/rods in. What I was actually doing was fighting with the ring compressor I borrowed from Earl and smearing assembly lube all over the place. And, of course, when I was holding the compressor/piston in place with one hand, guiding the rod down the cylinder with one hand and pushing the piston in with one hand (You do the math...) all whilst wearing a delightful covering of oohey-gooey-lube up to my elbows, TWWTFM called me... :BH: :ack: :evil:

I did get four of them installed. I might have even done it right. Maybe. Didn't take any pictures. Please refer back to "oohey-gooey-lube up to my elbows" reference for the reason why.

Stay tuned, I'll be back at it later today. Oohey-gooey-lube and all...
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 31, 2018, 8:34 am 
We are Slotus!

The references to assembly lube reminded me of a story from a bygone era...

I was working in West Virginia on a coal exploration job. The driller, Roger, was a man of few words. He had been having trouble with the latch on his core barrel not releasing properly, so the mechanics at the shop had send him out some special lube to put on it. He was smearing the latch with the lubricant when he looked up at me and said, "This stuff is so slick, you could smear it on a gnat's a$$ and stretch him over a 55 gallon oil drum." He never cracked a smile. I almost fell off the platform laughing.

JDK

PostPosted: August 1, 2018, 12:08 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I say I was putting pistons/rods in. What I was actually doing was fighting with the ring compressor I borrowed from Earl and smearing assembly lube all over the place.
Practice makes perfect though... After the first six pistons, that seventh one wasn't so bad and the eighth went right in with no hassle at all. And now, I have to give back the ring compressor, because I'm done with it! :roll:

I know, I know, "pictures or it didn't happen." Here ya go:
Attachment:
All 8 Pistons Installed.jpg
All 8 Pistons Installed.jpg [ 787.95 KiB | Viewed 717 times ]
There's even some assembly lube visible on a couple of them. FREE BONUS!!! The lube is sold in a plain white squeeze bottle. I didn't know until I started using it that it's a pale green color. COOL! Team Slotus Slime!!! :mrgreen:

I had a pretty good chat with Horizenjob/Marcus yesterday, until the phone cut off. It was good to hear from him, it's been a while. This forum is great, but it's also really nice to talk to a human directly. Did a video with Perry, because he likes pictures :mrgreen: and then talked to Marcus. Life is good...

JDK

PostPosted: August 1, 2018, 12:14 pm 

JD, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like the piston 3rd from the left is in upside down. That is, the valve reliefs should be at the top like the other 3.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 1, 2018, 12:43 pm 

I does, indeed, appear that "one of these things is not like the other things". :roll:

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: August 1, 2018, 12:50 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
it looks like the piston 3rd from the left is in upside down

Come on, Lonnie. This is JD you're talking about. You know that the 3rd piston is right side up and the other 3 are upside down :twisted:

PostPosted: August 1, 2018, 3:03 pm 

I'm assuming they're not connected to the crankshaft yet - or perhaps Team Slotus has come up with an ingenious camshaft...
Wouldn't put it past them... lol.

PostPosted: August 1, 2018, 5:34 pm 
We are Slotus!

OH DEAR GODD!!!! Or similar type words that ain't allowed on the forum. It's official, I'm a Mucking Foron... :oops:

Thank you Lonnie, for pointing that out before I got any further along. The rest of you guys... With friends like y'all... You know the rest. :ack:

That was one of the ones I put in the first day when things were not going very smoothly... :BH:

I'm going to the shop now, and take care of that li'l matter. I'll be back later.

PostPosted: August 1, 2018, 6:22 pm 

I felt bad having to point that out, but it's a lot better than having you find out you just spent a sh*tload of money and ended up with a 5.0L set of castanets. :mrgreen:

Castanets can sound pretty dramatic, though. ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c99UUzD ... mM&index=2

Best,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 2, 2018, 6:56 am 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie-S wrote:
I felt bad having to point that out, but it's a lot better than having you find out you just spent a sh*tload of money and ended up with a 5.0L set of castanets. :mrgreen:
HI Lonnie- Don't feel bad, ya saved me from the wrath of TWWTFM, not to mention Earl's world class "point-and-laugh" treatment.

Got a message from Perry, who said he thought I posted a "fake" picture to see if y'all were watching. Wish I'd thought of that excuse sooner myself.

So, I trundled off to the shop yesterday after reading the news, removed that piston and put it in the right way this time and then re-torqued all the rods. That new set of main cap bolts I had ordered arrived, so I pulled the "long" one out and put it in the correct location in the bearing cap and torqued it down. Then checked the torque on the rest of them.

And to answer the "Pictures or it didn't happen" gang, here ya go:
Attachment:
08 01 18 Right Side Up.jpg
08 01 18 Right Side Up.jpg [ 779.41 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]
Attachment:
08 01 18 Right Side Up 2.jpg
08 01 18 Right Side Up 2.jpg [ 852.27 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]

Rest of the evening was spent reading up on torque settings for the Edelbrock heads, laying out the oil pump and pickup tube and finding that bag of fasteners as well as digging thru my gasket set(s) I have on hold and unwrapping the head gaskets I'm going to need soon.

What's the opinion amongst the group here- Do you put Copper-Kote on the heads/block, or some aircraft grade Permatex (the brown kind that you put on with a brush) or just go with bare metal heads/block and the new gaskets? Hmmmmm??? What y'all think?

Peace, Love and "Upside Down, Dammit"
JDK

PostPosted: August 2, 2018, 1:26 pm 

My $0.02, Bare metal with Fel-Pro head gaskets. Use sealant with the intake manifold gasket around the front water passages.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255 ... 296  Next