LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: May 3, 2010, 3:17 pm 

Hi everyone. After deliberating way too long I finally plucked up the courage to start the build. Using reference material from this forum (thank you!!), I made the decision to go with a Haynes Roadster / Miata based build. I intend on using the entire rear subframe. I discovered a 1999 rear subframe at a local breakers and couldn't resist getting it and intended on separately locating an engine and tranny. After discovering that it would be more cost effective to go with a donor car, and sell off the unwanted bits, I ended up with a 1994 as a donor for engine, tranny and wiring loom. Turns out this too has a Torsen diff (type 1). So the parts I am using are:

Miata rear subframe - 1999 with Torsen diff - sourced from a local breakers
Miata front spindles - 1995 - included in above purchase
1800 cc Miata motor, transmission, steering column and wiring loom - from the 1994 donor

Attachment:
S2010005.JPG

Attachment:
S2010012.JPG

Attachment:
S2010020.JPG

Attachment:
S2010022.JPG

Attachment:
S2010024.JPG

Attachment:
S2010027.JPG

Attachment:
S2010030.JPG

Attachment:
S2010031.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 3, 2010, 3:20 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Martin-
Looks like you're off to a good start. Keep it up! Now, I'm not tryin' to be a pain in the patootie, but there doesn't look like there's much rigidity to that build table. You might wanna think about some bracing underneath, like I-beams or 2X4's or something. You'd be surprised how much a sheet of plywood can deflect, and how hard a weld can "pull" on a straight bit of tubing. (Ask me how I know!)

And, as somebody posted on another thread, "Welcome to the Nutbucket!"

JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Last edited by GonzoRacer on May 3, 2010, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 3, 2010, 3:22 pm 

Attachment:
S2010034.JPG

Attachment:
S2010089.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 3, 2010, 3:30 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo, Martin-
Looks like you're off to a good start. Keep it up!

And, as somebody posted on another thread, "Welcome to the Nutbucket!"

JD Kemp

Thanks JD. My goal is to be roadworthy by Christmas - I get a funny look from my friends when I tell them that, maybe I'm crazy.

Here's a question to you folks - I am contemplating building the car to be SMOG compliant - am I even more crazy for thinking this way? To me is seems fairly straightforward to include the EVAP bits and pieces. Is the killer that I will have to use the original fuel tank (and therefore need to give up on the idea)?

I just don't like the thought of the outcome of my dream being standing in line at the DMV on the first working day of the new year, pleading for an exemption. Or should I just be confident that I'll be one of the 500 (750)?

Thanks
Martin

PostPosted: May 3, 2010, 3:37 pm 

[quote="GonzoRacer"]Now, I'm not tryin' to be a pain in the patootie, but there doesn't look like there's much rigidity to that build table. You might wanna think about some bracing underneath, like I-beams or 2X4's or something. You'd be surprised how much a sheet of plywood can deflect, and how hard a weld can "pull" on a straight bit of tubing. (Ask me how I know!)

So far so good. The table has remained dead flat. I have alternated my welding from side to side, end to end. I have completed final welds on the frame (less tunnel) and it measures dead straight and dead flat (so far). With four saw horses, it all seemed really sturdy. The design for the "table" is for it to be in component form for ease of handling.

Cheers
Martin

PostPosted: May 3, 2010, 5:09 pm 

As far as pleading for an exemption my DMV experience was pleasant I went in a few days before to make an appointment only to find there were no more left but the clerk said that last year numbers were still available in june and I should't have any problems. I did get there shortly after they opened and within an hour I was walking out with my paper work finished.

PostPosted: May 3, 2010, 6:59 pm 

Is this thing not a roller yet?????
Whats taking you so long boy?

PostPosted: May 3, 2010, 8:25 pm 

egoman wrote:
Is this thing not a roller yet?????
Whats taking you so long boy?

The engine and tranny are sitting on 4 wheels - is that not sufficient as a roller? :D

PostPosted: May 3, 2010, 8:31 pm 

MYTF wrote:
As far as pleading for an exemption my DMV experience was pleasant I went in a few days before to make an appointment only to find there were no more left but the clerk said that last year numbers were still available in june and I should't have any problems. I did get there shortly after they opened and within an hour I was walking out with my paper work finished.

Thanks, that's good to know. If no one knows of anyone failing to get the exemption, then maybe I'll not bother building to the smog requirements.

PostPosted: May 3, 2010, 11:25 pm 

Here's the rewards of this weekend's efforts:

PostPosted: May 4, 2010, 8:15 am 
We are Slotus!

hassleweed wrote:
Here's the rewards of this weekend's efforts:

Rewards??? Looks to me like somebody threw a bunch of shi.... Uhhh... junk on the hood of your Miata. Honestly, all of that wiring came out of a small house, right? I'm pretty sure I see a couple of fluorescent light fixtures and a garbage disposal... It didn't really live inside that li'l bitty Miata, did it? :lol:

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 4, 2010, 3:04 pm 

I've got the scarred knuckles to prove it....

PostPosted: May 4, 2010, 4:01 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

hassleweed wrote:
Here's a question to you folks - I am contemplating building the car to be SMOG compliant - am I even more crazy for thinking this way? To me is seems fairly straightforward to include the EVAP bits and pieces. Is the killer that I will have to use the original fuel tank (and therefore need to give up on the idea)?

I just don't like the thought of the outcome of my dream being standing in line at the DMV on the first working day of the new year, pleading for an exemption. Or should I just be confident that I'll be one of the 500 (750)?

You don't need to worry about the emissions stuff if you plan to get an exemption number, which I highly recommend. The chances of getting it through as a rebodied Miata (with all the emissions stuff in-place) is small to none. You mention the gas tank; it's a required part of the emissions system, and there's no way it'll fit into a Locost as-is, so there's no way the Locostized Miata would pass that way.

Just be at the DMV early and you'll be fine, being sure to take all your paperwork and receipts.

PostPosted: June 22, 2010, 3:57 pm 

Progress has been a little slow. Some errors made, some lessons learned, but it's getting there.
Attachment:
S2010008 (Small).JPG

Attachment:
S2010013 (Small).JPG

Attachment:
S2010016 (Small).JPG

Attachment:
S2010022 (Small).JPG

Attachment:
S2010035 (Small).JPG

Attachment:
S2010025 (Small).JPG

Attachment:
S2010030 (Small).JPG

Attachment:
S2010031 (Small).JPG

PostPosted: June 22, 2010, 4:03 pm 

Attachment:
S2010032 (Small).JPG

Attachment:
S2010036 (Small).JPG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next