LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 19, 2024, 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: First Drive!!
PostPosted: February 13, 2011, 11:30 pm 

I should have posted a bunch more build photos before getting to this stage, but in the meantime - here's the first drive out the garage today!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orfcmTyPXcg

PostPosted: February 14, 2011, 8:45 am 
We are Slotus!

WOOHOO!!! Way to go, Bro!!! :cheers:

You far exceeded my personal requirements for a "first drive", i.e.- nothing fell off, broke in two or caught fire. Actually, it looked like a great little ride! Well done!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 14, 2011, 1:30 pm 

Thanks GonzoRacer. Technically it was my second run, I had a minor driveshaft tolerance issue that needed the attention of a file for 5 minutes after the first attempt. I was going to keep that to myself, but I guess I'm too honest for my own good. :o

PostPosted: February 14, 2011, 2:57 pm 

hassleweed wrote:
for a "first drive", i.e.- nothing fell off, broke in two or

Yah, he didn't "do a Hempy" How boring. :D

Seriously, a nice brisk test drive. I envy you guys that can take a little spin on the road before the car's finished. With a traffic cop living across the street from me, my options were limited.

You're on the home stretch now, congrats on a successful test run :cheers:

Ron

PostPosted: February 14, 2011, 3:10 pm 
We are Slotus!

sevenesqueron wrote:
hassleweed wrote:

:lol: :lol: That one got me, Ron*... Didn't see ya comin! :lol: :lol:

* - It's the quiet guys that ya gotta watch...

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 16, 2011, 11:06 pm 

sevenesqueron wrote:
hassleweed wrote:

Seriously, a nice brisk test drive. I envy you guys that can take a little spin on the road before the car's finished. With a traffic cop living across the street from me, my options were limited.

Ron

I have a detective that lives across the street and I'm married to a beat cop LOL. But, getting inspected should be a breeze.

PostPosted: February 17, 2011, 12:41 am 

ooohhh...so jealous! Congrats on the drive!!!

PostPosted: February 17, 2011, 12:50 pm 

sevenesqueron wrote:
hassleweed wrote:

Ron

I know what you are saying, we have three on our street, doubt whether I could even get away with using my driveway to turn around.

Congratulations on the first drive, has to be a thrilling moment indeed.

Al

PostPosted: April 25, 2011, 3:33 pm 

Built a scuttle on Saturday. I'm using pre-painted aluminum panels. I was concerned about the paint being stretched, but it seemed to work out great - no paint blemishes from what I can see. I used Rust_Bucket's idea of modifying the jaws of my bench vise to form the stepped edge:

Attachment:
IMAG0311.jpg

The clear protective coating is still on the panel.

The plan is that all fastenings will be concealed. The dashboard will be formed from vinyl covered plywood. This will be attached (using hidden fasterners) to the edges of the aluminum that are bent over the rear of the scuttle, to hold that side tight against the frame underneath. I will be concealing the rear edges of the aluminum that were cut to go around the curves with a vinyl-wrapped rope bead sandwiched between the scuttle and the dash. I hope to do that and the hood this coming weekend.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 25, 2011, 7:48 pm 

Looking good, Martin.

I imagine you custom built the scuttle to match the Kinetic fiberglass nose cone. Did they match up easily height-wise?

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 25, 2011, 10:55 pm 

Hi Lonnie,
Yeah, I spent a bit of time getting the lines I wanted. So there is a slight rise from the nosecone to the scuttle which I like. I put a slight rise in the scuttle itself too.
Cheers
Martin

PostPosted: May 2, 2011, 4:09 pm 

I made the dash on Friday using 1/2 inch plywood and some vinyl. I'm pleased with the outcome. I'm having no gauges on it with the exception of an oil pressure gauge which will hang below. I wanted a minimalist look so all the fasteners are hidden.
Attachment:
Dash.jpg

Saturday morning, I fixed the nosecone on with dzus fasteners and hinges, so it hinges forward. Then finished up the afternoon shaping the curves on the hood. It is shown here with the plastic hood scoop I bought.
Attachment:
Hood.jpg

Sunday was a day to touch up paint on the chassis rails, fit the steering bellows, tidy the garage and collapse in a heap after a tiring, but productive, weekend.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 2, 2011, 11:00 pm 

Looking very, very good, Martin. The engine actually fits better with respect to the nosecone height than I imagined it would. It looks like you moved the air intake and air cleaner to the driver's side or do I just have a bad memory? The current position actually looks like a good one, especially if you put an opening with a screen in the hood where it sits. The scoop looks good too, almost like it was meant to be there.

How are the adaptation of the Miata wiring harness and the your fitting of your new fenders going?

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 5, 2011, 10:44 am 

Well, the build pace might be slowing down for a while. My wonderful wife gave birth to our beautiful baby daughter on Tuesday. It's an amazing feeling. Happy days :-)

PostPosted: May 5, 2011, 12:05 pm 

:thmbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next