LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 15, 2024, 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: January 29, 2012, 6:48 am 

Sweeet! Need a videographer?

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: February 13, 2012, 8:28 pm 

Off Road SHO wrote:
Sweeet! Need a videographer?

Tom

For sure! I let you know when it's time.

Naturally, like all things I get involved in I've had more setbacks. The expensive aluminum Griffin rad I've had for years had a hole so I have to find a replacement. JB Weld failed for fixing the bugger.

Aside from that just some smaller jobs and it'll be running. A few more weeks of pontificating and procrastinating on my part and we'll be there. This weekend is completely sucked up with going to San Diego but I hope to get all the bits I need to make a full push the following couple of weekends.

-Steve

PostPosted: February 26, 2012, 5:59 pm 

Bought a new radiator. It's the pretty common Honda Civic a lot of others use. This is an aluminum one and was off of ebay for $69. It just arrived so now I need to build a new mount for it and pipe it up again.

Anyone mounted one of these previously have any photos?

-Steve

PostPosted: February 26, 2012, 10:11 pm 

Not sure about the Honda, but here is a link to what I did.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1163813628 ... 48/Cooling

First built a set of lower heavy duty brackets and bolted them to the same spot as the mk rack. That is what holds the majority of the weight.

Then the side brackets are just to hold it at the right angle, and stop it from going left to right.
The side brackets are welded in place.

-- Push the pedal on the right, the one in the middle is for wussies ---
- Link to build blog- http://BluLi7ard.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: February 28, 2012, 3:28 am 

Just the ticket. That'll work with the Honda rad I have ... thanks!

Where'd you get that tube flaring tool?

-Steve

PostPosted: February 28, 2012, 10:04 am 

Sven, I meant to send you pics of my Civic radiator setup, but it slipped my mind. This is my implementation. I would recommend 2 things based on experience. 1) mount the fan in front of the radiator, not to the rear as I have done. It opens up the rad hose clamp areas for more access and also allows for a bit more tilting rearward of the rad itself. This helps in caution #2) Have your nose piece before you mount the rad. I had to move things just a smidgeon (an engineering term) which involved cutting and rewelding the mounts after I got my nose piece. As it is, I have only 1/16" or less clearance to the nose piece in all 4 corners. This is where tilting the rad a bit more would help. The rear mounted fan limits the tilt.

As you might infer from the photos, I made the lower mount using some scrap 1" square tube. There is a 1" sq cross piece under the radiator the full length of the radiator. It has 2 holes drilled into it. I added to those holes, a rubber grommet that is a near perfect fit for the lower locating "pins" on the radiator. The top mounting bracket also has a rubber grommet under the bracket. So the whole thing is held in place with the two 1/4" bolts that you see at the end of the top bracket. Don't forget that later, you should add some shrouds alongside the rad to prevent the cool air from bypassing the rad. This is a good time to plan for this. This should fit as close to the nose and rad as possible. I used the ends of the cross bar under the radiator to also mount the bottom of the shrouds and the top front of the frame for the top of the shrouds. They do not attach directly to the radiator.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 28, 2012, 12:25 pm 

Got it from summit part EAR-012ERL

Earls makes it, I got 2 in different sizes, not cheap but they work well.

one thing,, play around with it if you need to have the flare close to the end where there is a bend near by. Best solution is to put the flare first then cut the little extra off.

Got the an aluminum tubes from speedwaymotorsports, get more than you think you need, I ended up ordering pipe 4 times.

PostPosted: March 4, 2012, 4:00 am 

Great ideas, guys, thanks! Of course, now I'll be out of town for a while ... :)

-Steve

PostPosted: July 25, 2014, 2:39 pm 

I know this is an old thread ,but I was just looking into some miata based kits and this one has been at the top of my list (cheaper than westfield). Does anyone know if this build got finished I would love to see some finished pics!

PostPosted: July 26, 2014, 10:52 am 

Not sure, but I finished mine about a year ago. Still tweaking. Happy with the final product. But if I had to do it over again I would go with the Westfield. Fit and finish is better..

What's the cost of the westfield, if its withing 5k of the Indy, well worth it.

You planning on running the complete Miata, engine and all. Or just the suspension?

PostPosted: July 31, 2014, 3:32 pm 

Sven, I am looking into doing a miata based build and was interested in the MK indy. Might I ask how much the kit with shipping was and how much the total project cost? If you don't mind sharing that is. Smart Sports Cars website is not working anymore so I assume I would be dealing with MK directly.

PostPosted: July 31, 2014, 5:08 pm 

I dealt directly with MK. Not the greatest customer service and no method by which you can resolve a problem if you have one. Meaning missing parts etc.

With that said, cost wise 3-2 years ago - Shipping 2k, Taxes 700, kit with some extras my kit was about 11k. Original budget was 15k, pretty sure I blew by 20k about a year ago.

The Shipper I used was R & L Global Logistics, Fabulous service. If you pay an additional 300 bucks they will deliver it to your door.
Note the 2k listed above includes picking up from MK, shipping, dealing with Customs, Paying customs and then bringing it to a warehouse for pick up within my city.
I dealt with a lady - Reena Bates - Reena.Bates@afcexpress.com, strongly recommend them...

Words of advice on the extras.
    Buy your own miata parts locally
    Limit the extras you get from MK to MK specific only (cheaper to get otherwise and probably better quality/condition)

Talk to Danny Keenan - info@smartsportscars.com

PostPosted: August 1, 2014, 6:15 pm 

nufun wrote:
I dealt directly with MK. Not the greatest customer service and no method by which you can resolve a problem if you have one. Meaning missing parts etc.

With that said, cost wise 3-2 years ago - Shipping 2k, Taxes 700, kit with some extras my kit was about 11k. Original budget was 15k, pretty sure I blew by 20k about a year ago.

The Shipper I used was R & L Global Logistics, Fabulous service. If you pay an additional 300 bucks they will deliver it to your door.
Note the 2k listed above includes picking up from MK, shipping, dealing with Customs, Paying customs and then bringing it to a warehouse for pick up within my city.
I dealt with a lady - Reena Bates - Reena.Bates@afcexpress.com, strongly recommend them...

Words of advice on the extras.
    Buy your own miata parts locally
    Limit the extras you get from MK to MK specific only (cheaper to get otherwise and probably better quality/condition)

Talk to Danny Keenan - info@smartsportscars.com

Thanks for your input! I'm going to go ahead and purchase my donor miata then ponder a little bit more on which kit to get while I work on the donor. Have you heard of any new miata based kits coming out besides the westfield, mnr, and MK Indy that are available this side of the pond?

PostPosted: August 1, 2014, 9:11 pm 

Nope, heard good things about the MNR. Think they have a new stateside dealer. If you can work with a local dealer, atleast you have someone local to reach out and strangle.

A kit is really what you make of it. Any of them will work...

PostPosted: July 27, 2016, 5:25 pm 

Hey guys,

Wanted to bring this thread back from the dead! I bought this MK project from Sven a few months back. Great guy!! We talk every few weeks or so. Some of the stuff he did for sure helped me get this project headed in the right direction. It has been really challenging at times. Especially given the fact it's 110+ outside in AZ and my garage has no AC.

I went for the 1st drive a week ago. Ate some bugs, had a huge smile on my face then the diff bolts came loose. I need to tighten those back up, use some lock tight with nylon washer and try again. I have a feeling I will keep doing that for a while. Hopefully by summer time all is said and done.

I did install a Garrett GT28 Ball bearing turbo, kept it at 6 psi and made 164 whp. Once the weather gets better we are going for 10 Psi which is safe on a 1.8 Miata motor. Probably will be pushing a bit more than 200 whp.

To the fun stuff, Pics :) She is not complete but she is sure getting there. If you guys know anyone local to adjust the suspension please let me know. It's above my pay grade to mess with it and I'm running -2000 camber lol

First day she came home. We did a few things before I took this picture just can't even remember what now.

How she stands today. Still need to install hood, fenders, adjust suspension, go through every bolt and nut again just to be sure etc..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next