LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: September 2, 2018, 8:12 pm 

It was a fun ride-along, Cory. Thanks!

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 17, 2018, 6:33 pm 

So I did what may be the Seven's final event of the season yesterday. Was supposed to rain a little, then taper off around noon. Instead it rained a LOT, including lightning, before getting a brief window of almost dry tamac. The morning was just trying not to hydroplane, and the afternoon was just cresting that point where R-comps start to get some grip. As it was, I spent the day scrapping with a new Z06 vette for Fastest Time of Day, though he got me on his last run. Didn't get any pictures/video of the worst of the rain (despite tons of people taking pics of the meathead in the open car in the rain), but a friend did grab some cell footage of one of my drier runs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h42cspfiuw0b4 ... 8.MOV?dl=0
Didn't know the blower was so audible.

Car is more neutral in the wet. The inherent oversteer only occurs in the higher loads of dry grip. Pretty sure it's lack of front or rear roll-resistance. Not sure which at this point. I have no swaybars yet.

Another event this Sunday, but if it's going to be wet I'll just run the Yaris. On proper tires, the Seven would have been competitive in the wet though.

BTW, heated seat and a heated vest made the cool/wet day much easier to enjoy. I would highly suggest anyone running one of these cars in the cool months get both.

PostPosted: September 18, 2018, 10:54 am 

Thanks for the video, Cory.

A heated seat and a heated vest? I thought the cold weather prescription for 7-like cars was wool underwear? Not so? :mrgreen:

Cheers,

PostPosted: September 19, 2018, 11:56 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Thanks for the video, Cory.

A heated seat and a heated vest? I thought the cold weather prescription for 7-like cars was wool underwear? Not so? :mrgreen:

Cheers,

At a certain point, I am going to run out of room for more layers in my narrow seats :mrgreen: They already shrunk a little over winter...... I also wanted the vest for when I was standing out in the rain during the winter autoX season. On low/med setting can get a whole day of heat out of a 10,000mAh battery.

You know, when people see me wearing goggles to drive they usually joke that I should get the aviator helmet and scarf. After driving the car in cooler weather, they make a good lot of sense!!

Cheers.

PostPosted: September 25, 2018, 10:37 pm 

So I learned nothing from the previous rainy event, and decided to go Sunday with the Seven.
Attachment:
43065640210_c61dc0b2a2_k.jpg

Actually, that's not true. I learned to tape up the sleeves of my rainjacket :mrgreen: . Anyhow, another wet autoX.
https://youtu.be/7wm1YklFYVI

This one didn't dry out enough to get much grip but it forced me to drive the car as a momentum car as it certainly wasn't a point/shoot car in the wet. I was able to get a bit more used to the car and main thing I learned is to be much smoother when coming off throttle. The big engine is enough to cause some serious engine braking which is not something I had considered before building the car. The video also confirms how much bodyroll there is from the rear.

Car is parked for the season. This winter will be:
-remeasure all my suspension and figure out what swaybars are needed
-install Tablet in dash for rear-view camera and running my autoX apps
-fab a housing for Gopro,highmount,rear-view cam
-electric e-brake
-lots of misc

Winter autoX series starts soon. I will be co-driving a 2004 Mini. Should be fun.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 23, 2019, 1:19 pm 

Been a while since my last post. Almost exactly a year. Did exactly nothing on the car over the winter. Changed the oil and did a few autoX events with it over summer. Also had co-drivers for the first time, and the car held up well to two driver's abuse in one day. Starting to get the hang of the car on course but it's still a handful to drive and the rear tires turn liquid very quickly. Next plan would be some more front camber, and more rubber..... lots more rubber. Thinking 275s are about right and my options are: 275/35/r15 Hoosier A7 (best tire, but huge money and can't drive to track), or 275/40r17 which is a tall tire, but has lots of tire choice (including NT01 which I get for cheap). Still need swaybars, and to try stiffer front springs, which will likely be amplified with more rubber.

Taking a 17yo kid for a ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-isQCjHwZDQ

This is one of my friends driving. He is a higher skilled driver so was curious to see what he could do with the car. Course was horrible for this car, and the tires were beyond greasy for this run. I can't express how impressive of a drive without being in the car, but watch how much his hands are working to keep it together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3IhgF2Wuw8

There are a couple more vids on my channel too.

The car is kind of on hold as I have bought a Miata to go road-racing with in 2020. It secretly makes me happy when people ask something about my racecar and I have to ask "which one?". So this summer I was trying to get seat time in the Miata and get it prepped for track use. Car is properly fun at autoX, and if built right would be very competitive (which is why there are a dozen Miatas at most events). On track it's starting to come together, but I still need to be faster. I'm running 1:23 laps, and I need to be down to 1:20s or better. Driver needs more seat time, and I have wider tires, and LSD set up for next season. https://youtu.be/zGRZoTt-oDo?t=209
More vids on my channel if interested. Including Ice Attack in the Yaris over winter which was something new. Veeeeery different driving dynamic.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 23, 2019, 3:44 pm 

The 275/40-17 is common fitment on 3000+ pound cars. Make sure you can get compounds that will work with a 7. Also, autocross-oriented compounds are different from road race compounds.

I'd find the proper compound first, then pick from available sizes.

caveat: each time I've done this, the compound I'd decided on worked great, and was promptly discontinued...

PostPosted: September 23, 2019, 4:20 pm 

You've got a lot of power to control with that supercharged engine in a light chassis. What's that loud groaning or rubbing sound on hard left or right turns?

I'm sure you'll sort it out eventually. It takes time.

Cheers,

PostPosted: September 24, 2019, 1:24 pm 

Good input on the compound difference between sizing. I'll contact my Nitto guy and see if there is any difference.
Lonnie, the noise is my rear brakes. As my rotors flex in the corners they must rub the pads just right to make noise. In person, the sound is different but the camera is bolted to the chassis so picks up up that way. Low priority to fix, but will probably have to stiffen the caliper adapters or something.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7