LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tim's +442 Build
PostPosted: September 11, 2012, 3:08 am 

Well, I guess since I've got my build table built, metal purchased, and choice of two drivetrains lined up, it looks like it's time to introduce myself.

My name's Tim, I live in Idaho Falls, ID, and I work as an aircraft mechanic, rebuilding WWII fighter planes.

I'm building a McSorley +442 with the added help of my brother a buddy, and my 2 year old that wants to help dad in the garage. :mrgreen:

I have a couple of engine options already.

A 2.0l out of a 2001 Suzuki Vitara

And a 1.8l Toyota 3CT out of a *very* hacked together 1980 Toyota Corolla

Over the last few fridays and saturdays, we've been working on organizing (un-burying) the garage, building shelves and a build table, and

Here's the cursory before pic of the mess

and now my build table and less dirty garage, :ack:

The build table is a 3/4" sheet of MDF on top of a 2x4 framework, not boxed in.

The plans are to build the frame from 1x1 16ga square tube with aussie mods and making the trans tunnel from 1x1 instead of 3/4 x 3/4 for less complexity and more strength. I'm also going to go live axle in the rear just to keep things simple.

We've got the outline for the bottom layer of tubes all layed out, now we just have to start cutting and tacking tubes on friday and saturday. 8)

Last edited by NoCost on September 26, 2012, 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Tim's +442 Build
PostPosted: September 11, 2012, 10:21 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Tim-
Welcome to the asylum! Good to hear that another build is underway. (Well, you cleaned out the garage, anyway... And built a table, that counts!)

I'm no expert at Suzuki's, but a 2 litre should be plenty adequate power. Toyota, of course, builds great stuff... But that one may be thrashed?

I'm thinking we need to see some pictures from your "day job" too... Got anything cool, like a P-51 or maybe a F-4U Corsair or something?

But mostly, welcome, good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!
:cheers:
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 11, 2012, 10:53 am 

Welcome, Tim. That Suzuki engine looks just about right. Also, I'll second Gonzos request for day job pics. I agree that 1" trans tunnel tubing will make framing a little easier. I used 1"x1/2" for the same reason, plus I think it's a little stronger with the proper orientation.

Good luck and keep us posted!

PostPosted: September 11, 2012, 1:13 pm 

Go with the suzuki. It will be the only Locost with two shift levers. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously though go with the Suzuki, good engine. As far as the tunnel I needed every bit of room and couldn't see giving up that 1/2 inch so went with 3/4 square.
Working on any aircraft let a lone one that's more then 50 years old with big power is a daunting task my hats off to you. I was just reminded of this with the news from the NTSB about the Galloping Ghost. My wife informed me that we will not be going to the races any time soon.
I am a little reluctant to except the NTSB findings but I recall an incident that Chuck Yeager wrote about in his book flying a F86 (I think) and in a high G manuvere he could not pull ack on the stick, the elevator hinge bolts had been put in from the top (every body knows that's the right way) when the instructions were to insert them from the bottom. Just goes to show ya.

PostPosted: September 12, 2012, 2:50 am 

Thanks all! I'm hoping that this weekend we'll have the Toyota at least partially tore down, and the frame started. The Toyota seems to be fine drivetrain wise, outside of running rich, but it was punched in the nose and someone cobbled a newer hood and fenders on it.

I know that this is a *bit* ambitious, but I'm actually thinking about building 2 cars. The first with the Toyota, as it would be much easier, and then once that's done, I'll build the second using the Suzuki. The Suzuki is going to require several hundred dollars worth of transmission adapter, flywheel, clutch, and possibly wiring harness to mate it to a samurai transmission, which I don't have yet either.

Who knows, plans change at the drop of a hat around here. I just know that after 5+ years of planning, I AM going to finally build this car! :roll:

Nick47: I might just steal that 1" x 1/2" tubing idea!

MYTF: Don't let that crash scare you away from the shows, it was just caused by bad decisions made by an owner and a mechanic, both of which should have know better..

As requested, here's some "work related photos" for you. :cheers:

A couple P51's, a Texan, a Sky Raider, etc...

Just another day at work. :twisted:

PostPosted: September 12, 2012, 6:01 am 

I love 2T, 3T series engines, owned and worked on many many years ago so I'm biased and they are proven to be a worthy engine.

Getting simple power out of them is easy and cheap (Weber 32/36, cam and headers 125hp) and bigger power not much more expensive (1940cc kit etc). The standard 3T on paper has around 100hp but it's got a fantastic wide torque curve that makes it more powerful than the hp suggests in real world useage, better than a 4AGE on mountain roads for example (with the simple mods mentioned).

Of course you can use the whole Corolla drive line including rear axle with only a tailshaft shortening job required.

Toyota called the TE72's "T18" in Oz.

PostPosted: September 12, 2012, 9:29 am 

NoCost wrote:
Just another day at work. :twisted:

An IndyCar driver told me a couple of weeks ago... He just has to remember that, every day when he gets to work, he's got a new Indy car for him drive, with his name on it. After that, the rest of the stress of the job seems to be more manageable.

That you have a job that most of us would dream about (partially 'cause we have no clue of the stresses and downsides) should help you out on those bad days. I mean, I got to walk the props on a B17 one morning, and will probably never forget the feel of the prop on my hands and the resistance of the motor to the movement, as well as how damned small that thing really was on the inside.

G'03

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: September 14, 2012, 4:19 pm 

P-51, the most beautiful plane ever made. You're one lucky guy.

PostPosted: September 14, 2012, 5:23 pm 

Thanks all!

Ok, quick question:

Does anyone have any experience with those "Dual Cut" saws that Harbour Freight has on sale right now? I was thinking about picking one up to cut up the donor car.

Also, if every thing works out, I've found donor car #2. More info later.

PostPosted: September 14, 2012, 8:27 pm 

Hi nocost welcome to the world of locost..totally agree with the other guys ..you have a job most of us could only dream of...oh and the toyota or the suzuki are both great engines
but toyota much simpler because no adaptors for gearbox and such like..the add's for those double cut saws look prity impressive but its always good to hear from someone thats used one

a good site for toyota and car build stuff and also aviation is http://www.billzilla.org/

cheers Kiwi Dave

PostPosted: September 16, 2012, 1:09 am 

Didn't get as much as I'd like done this weekend, but we did get the A and B tubes cut and tacked. We also got another parts car picked up. It's a 1987 Chevy Astro Van.

Hoping to use the spindles and rear axle. Hopefully, it's not too wide for a +442.

As an added bonus, it turns out that it's a 5 on 5 bolt pattern, which means that the set of Impala SS rims I have lying around will fit!

Last edited by NoCost on September 16, 2012, 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 16, 2012, 1:29 am 

Also picked up a set of rims to hang on the wall for coiling hose and extension cords up on. They're 4 18x8" moda r6 rims off of a BMW 3 series and a 15" Audi rim.

One of the BMW rims was broken on a curb.

Picked up everything for a whopping $33 off of Facebook, gotta love the internet!

PostPosted: September 17, 2012, 3:49 am 

Well, I feel stupid.

Did some research on the astro vans, looks like I won't be able to use the rear axle without major modifications. It's way too wide, and according to several sources, the pinion is offset about 6" to the passenger side!

It won't be a complete loss though, I'm still going to salvage the steering column, master cylinder, and muffler for the Locost, and the seats and tires for other projects. The rest will be sold to the crusher, so if steel goes back up, I'll do ok.

I'm also thinking about cutting the roof off to use as my floor panel, as was suggested in the book. Has anyone here done that?

This build would be much easier if I could fit into a book frame, then I could just use the Toyota Corolla axle.

PostPosted: September 17, 2012, 4:18 am 

I honestly never thought about cutting the roof off a van for the floor... awesome idea!

PostPosted: September 17, 2012, 4:12 pm 

NoCost wrote:
This build would be much easier if I could fit into a book frame, then I could just use the Toyota Corolla axle.

1) You might be surprised how much room there is in a book frame.
2) My axle (MGB) is about 2-1/2" too short for a book frame. I bought 1-1/4" wheel spacers and bolted them to the hubs.