LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
PostPosted: September 18, 2012, 3:17 pm 

Hey Peter,
The car is looking great. I am the guy that bought the '99 steering wheel from you - it's brought me luck with a handful of autocross wins this year. :lol:
I wanted to ask why your car is a BMod car - is this an SCCA classification? If so, why not EM?
Thanks
Martin

PostPosted: September 18, 2012, 3:39 pm 

hassleweed wrote:
Hey Peter,
The car is looking great. I am the guy that bought the '99 steering wheel from you - it's brought me luck with a handful of autocross wins this year. :lol:
I wanted to ask why your car is a BMod car - is this an SCCA classification? If so, why not EM?
Thanks
Martin

Glad to hear it! I'm in BMod b/c I'm too light for EMod...I had signed up for the SCCA National Tour in Packwood last yr, and ran out of time to find 100+ lbs of ballast; I had thought I may actually push to be somewhat competitive in autoX, but at this point I just don't have the time.

PostPosted: September 18, 2012, 10:29 pm 

first350 wrote:
glad to hear it helped...and very jealous of you - I've yet to find the free garage & tow vehicle connection to support a chump car...I'm still waiting to connect all the pieces so I can give it a go!

The top speed is right...the miata gearing is limited to ~126MPH, and I'm nearly at redline; when I did a quick calculation for top speed vs. power/Cd, it also produced a # around 130MPH using a standard Lotus 7 Cd. Just goes to show how important drag and total power is...but the fun part is that I can make up most of that time to hang with the higher HP cars like Corvettes and Porches.

I had thought about bias tires....IIRC they aren't DOT legal, right? a handful of events I've done have required DOT tires...but I do hear they have massive more grip. I'm still torn on which direction to go...I no longer do competitive events, so I'm tempted to just run street tires to save $$ and hassle of changing tires at the track.

Thanks again for the comments - hopefully we can meet up sometime...maybe at a future Ridge event!

Find a team to join up - building a car and finding people to drive it is a whole lot more expensive :D To say it's rediculous to drive on track with 60+ other cars all totally mismatched is an understatement but man is it a blast, I heavily recommend it to anyone that likes track driving.

Lower your rear end ratio and turn up the boost 8) You mentioned a front wing - have you considered a splitter/airdam instead? would probably help with drag reduction while picking up some front downforce as well.

the bias plies aren't DOT legal, I've driven them on the street (don't tell the fuzz) and i'd say they are easier to drive on the street than the set of A6's I did the same with. If you don't want to change tires than i'd agree, street tires are great, star specs or RS3s are fantastic and pretty affordable, although without enough camber you'll scrub the outer lips off surprisingly fast. If you're already maxed on your front camber and not getting enough for street tires or the A6's i'd say an 80-110 dollar set of bias plies just to try out and see if you like could be a nice alternative to getting the cutter out.

the best part about the bias plies is that they are designed for lower weight sports racers, where as the R6's are meant for heavier semi-street cars - always trade offs to consider...

Definately! let me know when you're going to head out to a track and I might join you.

first350 wrote:
I'm in BMod b/c I'm too light for EMod...I had signed up for the SCCA National Tour in Packwood last yr, and ran out of time to find 100+ lbs of ballast; I had thought I may actually push to be somewhat competitive in autoX, but at this point I just don't have the time.

Bmod is a brutal class for a 7, well, any of the mod classes are heavy competition, e-mod looks tough for a seven because of the minimum weight requirements and the kind of power the competition puts out.

Buy my car! - F20C Race car

PostPosted: April 26, 2016, 8:14 am 

I've now read this thread more than once... Peter, are you still around here? I'm very likely going down the identical path, especially since Fastcraft is quite literally less than 2 hours form me. It looks like MNR has now addressed a number of your issues in their current offering.

PostPosted: April 26, 2016, 10:04 pm 

Blueiii wrote:
I've now read this thread more than once... Peter, are you still around here? I'm very likely going down the identical path, especially since Fastcraft is quite literally less than 2 hours form me. It looks like MNR has now addressed a number of your issues in their current offering.

I'm still around, but haven't been on the site for awhile. Let me know if you have any questions...I sold the car to a good friend, so while I don't have it, it's close by.

-Pete

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34