LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently February 22, 2019, 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Author Message
PostPosted: October 27, 2018, 8:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: November 9, 2010, 2:03 pm
Posts: 26
Front Big Brake update:

I ended up using 05-14 Mustang (rear) rotors (11.8" OD) and the stock '90 Miata calipers. I had to drill the rotors for 4x100 and reduced the braking area width to match Miata pad size. The Miata caliper brackets had to be clearanced a bit for the bigger diameter. The caliper adapter brackets were super simple to make -the 1/2 aluminum thickness was perfect as-is!
Total cost of this mod was less than $100, including new brake lines.


Attachments:
IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0384.JPG [ 774.08 KiB | Viewed 558 times ]
IMG_0380.JPG
IMG_0380.JPG [ 833.01 KiB | Viewed 558 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: October 27, 2018, 10:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: November 9, 2010, 2:03 pm
Posts: 26
K motor update:
Installed very expensive oil pan that I naturally had to spend hours grinding on to get to fit. (I guess DC5 oil pump is a little bigger?)

Spent pretty much an entire weekend making the silly FPR bracket.


Attachments:
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG [ 795.49 KiB | Viewed 552 times ]
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG [ 880.78 KiB | Viewed 552 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: January 7, 2019, 3:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: November 9, 2010, 2:03 pm
Posts: 26
So the 2000 Miata 3rd member triggered a giant domino-effect clusterf--k. I am just now seeing the light at the end of that tunnel.
Unbeknownst to me, I have a 1983 RX-7 rear-end housing, not the 84-85 I wanted. Thanks, junkyard!
Two differences:
-bigger bearings
-26 splines from 24

I learned this when my axle shafts clunked around inside the newly-installed Miata 3rd (26 spline).
OK, I thought, I will get custom axle shafts with small bearing size/26 spline. Moser Axle says "can't do it", after a month of miscommunication.
My next idea was to get 84 housing ends, machine/weld some adapter parts and weld into the ends of the 83 housing. This will increase track 5", not a big deal as I was using big wheel spacers to use FWD wheels.

I got 84 ends from an RX-7 guy in Tennessee, and ordered 2.5" longer 84 rx7 axle shafts, 4x100 pattern, from Moser. I made little adapter pieces from 1/2" wall DOM, pressed them into the housing ends, had a buddy TIG them, then machined some more.

I got the shafts from Moser.
Two problems:
-No 4x100 pattern, just a weird 4x127.
-There was only about 1/2" of spline interface into differential. This is probably not be a problem with the Moser axles, and may be the case anytime a Miata 3rd is used in an RX7 housing.

I decided getting another set from Moser would take too long, so I machined these to work. I made a drill guide on the mill, and modified my drill press to accept axle shafts (big hole in the table).

I machined 7mm off the bearing stop to get 7mm more spline interface, and will use 7mm spacers between the axle flange and the brake rotor to compensate.

I then hammered the adapter pieces into the 83 bearing races. I machined an aluminum puck to press on an axle shaft so I could use it as an alignment fixture while welding. I also used bolts thru both brake tabs.
I then welded away, stitching to avoid heat/warpage.

Now I just have to finish my brake brackets, a little paint, and I may be on the road again.

PS1: Yes, I probably should have just given up and went back to the 3.90 3rd, but the 83 axles would have been a weak point with the new motor.
PS2: Yes, I probably should have just started over with a fresh 84 housing, but there is a LOT of custom bracketry on there...


Attachments:
IMG_0486.JPG
IMG_0486.JPG [ 825.84 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG [ 776.71 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]
IMG_0488.JPG
IMG_0488.JPG [ 941.52 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]
IMG_0487.JPG
IMG_0487.JPG [ 797.1 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]
IMG_0456.JPG
IMG_0456.JPG [ 896.71 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: January 13, 2019, 6:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: November 9, 2010, 2:03 pm
Posts: 26
Almost done -finished the brake brackets and the "hubcentric spacers". Had to do a little more machining on the rotors and then paint them.
You can also see the new 2.5" monotube coilovers.
The first picture is just to prove I sanded and painted the boat anchor before putting it in. (Also, chopped off the useless bracketry.)


Attachments:
IMG_0500.JPG
IMG_0500.JPG [ 890.36 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]
IMG_0499.JPG
IMG_0499.JPG [ 858.94 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: January 14, 2019, 4:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: November 9, 2010, 2:03 pm
Posts: 26
RideTech 24139901 coilovers, BTW, chosen because of very short 9.4" compressed hgt (same as previous QA1s). I have lost an inch of travel over the QA1s, however.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: January 14, 2019, 4:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: November 9, 2010, 2:03 pm
Posts: 26
The rotors, which I forgot to take a pic of, are modified Raybestos 980221R, Mercedes E320 03-09, among others. 11.8" OD x .394" thk. I just had to drill the 4x100 pattern, and I machined down the contact strips to match the RX7 pads.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
POWERED_BY