LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently January 19, 2020, 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
PostPosted: January 14, 2020, 10:04 pm 

To me, the left motor mounts appear to be THE motor mounts and the right side mounts are basically torque rods. Another way of looking at the problem?

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: January 16, 2020, 4:00 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Make sure you have enough travel to turn the wheels enough. The primary limiting factor is the pinion location to clear the motor. If you do not, shortening the steering arms will help but then the rack would need to be further aft to prevent reverse ackerman and it can't be any further back. Another alternative is to put the inner tie rod joint further outboard but then you create bumpsteer. This is why I suggested the other rack design but maybe you can turn the wheels far enough.

It's almost eerie how nicely the rack's input shaft falls next to the motor.. The shortened rack fits well and is centered right where I need it (other than being 1+" forward), and still gives me 'full' lock-to-lock steering rack/wheel steering-turning.... as a matter of fact I think I run out of Berkeley body 'space' for the the wheels to turn before the rack reaches it's end-stop.. I may have to make stops/spacers to go on the rack ends to limit wheel turn- the best possible problem to have in this case..

-Kartracer47.. I agree- the passenger side mounts do in fact seem to serve as the 'primary' (more substantial) motor mounts, while the long-legged driver's side motor mounts will really just serve to elevate/suspend that side of the motor.. Having said that, once I get more of the car's frame built in, I'll go back in and make each of the driver's side mounts into some sort of tripod configuration to be super solid once installed (it was much simpler to achieve motor mount stability on the passenger side).

--ccrunner

My '63 Volvo 1800 with a turbo inline 4 build log (LNF Ecotec compliments a Svelte Swede)
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

My '59 Berkeley SE492 build log (bike engine in a microcar)... "A Berkeley With Bite!"

PostPosted: January 18, 2020, 7:12 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

That is good news! :cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3C1Ep ... D3E18BB447

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17