LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently January 28, 2023, 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: April 24, 2012, 1:19 pm 

JDK, Feather Fill is a polyester high build primer (not cheap - $65/gal). It fills the weave of the cloth and builds up low spots. Mainly sprayed but can be squeegeed to force into pin holes. I get peel ply tape or yard goods from aircraft spruce. The peel ply wets out like a layer of cloth but does NOT bond. Remove after cure (or close to cure) and it leaves a smooth surface that needs NO sanding before the next bond! A strip of peel ply over an edge of a layup smooths it out.

rx7locost, A great idea about the rear - on it.

Thanks all, for the comments.

JMR

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: May 10, 2012, 1:47 am 

An interesting few weeks.
Details - windshield glass installed - belts - wiper and other various time consuming items
Appointment with Wa. State Patrol for VIN # tomorrow. Plates in afternoon?!?!?!
Contacted Hagerty and they approved the ins. but must have VIN # before issue. They agreed to list it as a 1969 Lotus 7 replica!! Very easy company to deal with. I hope this helps with the State Patrol as they assign type of vehicle - homebuilt/custom/replica?street rod. I am hoping for replica as that takes me out of smog - older than 30 years.
Just got it weighed (9 pm!!) at a self serve certified scale. We have a LOT of logging in the area and the scale works on the honor system(please put $6.00 check/cash in box) - 1420# with about 9 gallons of fuel.
I rented a car dolly as I used one to get the MR2 home over 2 years ago. Unfortunately it was the wrong style and would have torn up the body with the ramps if I had tried to tow it. Borrowed Jim Langan's van/trailer and headed for the scales. Now to fight with Uhaul for my money back.
Found some LED DLR's on ebay for $13.00 shipped from China. They are an 8 LED strip with mounting bracket for reverse lights. Work great.
Final body work, side windows, paint, interior and wheels(?) to follow. I can least drive it while I work on the Megasquirt tune, take it to local "shows" and have FUN!!

JMR

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 10, 2012, 8:24 am 
We are Slotus!

You need to speak severely to whoever upholstered those seats! Damn seatcovers look like moving blankets... Hard to find good help these days...

:rofl:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 10, 2012, 10:03 pm 

Upholstery is quick and dirty but actually not toooo uncomfortable. Can be used as bedding if needed.

VIN assignment went well. State Patrol only cares about ownership. Did not look at anything but donor paperwork, receipts for frame and body (mucho fiberglass supplies) and verification of engine number. Unfortunately it is registered as a homebuilt vintage 2012. Only saving grace is we are not in a smog county. He did not mind the picture of the VIN attachment.

DOL went smooth till the mileage question. I am using the donor instrument cluster and forgot to mark down the mileage. Back to DOL tomorrow and pay them their due.

PLATES TOMORROW!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 3, 2012, 1:46 pm 

Working toward paint and upholstery (moving blankets aside). Hagerty insured as a 1969 Lotus 7 even after seeing the pictures (talked to the underwriter directly - very EASY to work with).
130+ miles of local driving. Only problem so far - seized throttle cable (at full throttle!) due to being too close to headers. Leave in gear, don't touch the clutch but turn off the key and brake.
Now for a name - Shryke - Ryut (Green Lantern movie) - Styletto ??? The inclusion of the "y" can allow a "7" to be superimposed possibly? Thoughts??

JMR

PostPosted: June 3, 2012, 7:09 pm 

Congratulations are in order. Well done sir!

I found Hagerty easy to deal with also. They even gave me insurance before I had a VIN number. I'll be in Port Angeles in early July. We'll have to meet up and have a few :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 3, 2012, 9:43 pm 

Rx7locost, Thank you, looking forward to meeting you. Refreshments will be available.

JMR

PostPosted: June 4, 2012, 1:54 am 

Bodywork getting ready for paint. Bondo and Featherfill. Pictured are tools of the "trade". I have been blocking the bondo and feather fill with 36 grit and 80 grit on the boards. A couple of tricks I learned from someone much more experienced -- rub the hardening bondo/featherfill with the sanding dust (locks up the wax and keeps the sandpaper from clogging as much) and the bondo can be added to when still plastic to fill in the holes and such from the spreader.
Shoot everything with featherfill, block with 180 and it ready for paint!

PostPosted: June 4, 2012, 8:46 pm 

Looking really good . Can't wait to see it painted. AMAZING BUILD

phil

PostPosted: June 4, 2012, 10:15 pm 

Phil, Thank you - appreciated.

PostPosted: June 4, 2012, 10:28 pm 
The voice of reason

:cheers:

Way to go, looks like really great work! Sorry I missed when you first got it on the road. It's as original too, very impressive.

PostPosted: June 4, 2012, 10:59 pm 
We are Slotus!

Wow! Good looking bodywork, and it ain't even finished yet! Very cool, very good work!

Congrats on being legal, too! I believe a "WooHoo" is in order...

WOOHOO!!!

:cheers:

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 5, 2012, 1:20 am 

Marcus, JDK - Thanks, I know you guys understand the amount of work in one of these cars. John

PostPosted: June 12, 2012, 8:34 am 

Realised I hadn't actually replied to this yet. Congratulations on getting on the road. Love the look of that rear bodywork - very distinctive and agressive looking. Looking forward to seeing it in a single colour :)

Dominic

PostPosted: June 12, 2012, 12:31 pm 

Thanks Dominic, One color for now! Buff colored Featherfill high build primer. Now to sanding. Break with 220 and final with 320/400. I shot it in a friends booth. He and my wife are choosing color in the background. He let me use it while it was "idle". His only caution was don't hit the wire in the top of the booth (has the fire safety link) - recharge alone is $3500.00

JMR

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next