LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 15, 2024, 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: November 27, 2013, 12:43 pm 

Thank you JD, much appreciated.

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: November 27, 2013, 3:16 pm 
Toyotaphobe

And best of all it's the "proper" color.

I've had my fill of dark colored small cars. My black Miata seemed to be hit or grazed just about everytime I parked in a parking lot.

I was also awfully glad it was as small as it was because I was constantly having to dodge people trying to change lanes into the spot I was already occupying.

Neon green or orange or yellow or something with loud pipes seems to be the way to go with smaller vehicles. Maybe Loud Pipes DO Save Lives.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 27, 2013, 8:21 pm 

As a fellow middy builder, I'll also chime in with a "Nice work!". The car looks great and I'm glad to hear it's getting some miles under its wheels.

Will also endorse carguy's comments about bright colours for small cars. Mine going to be Ford "Tangerine Scream" (Google it :) ) with black wheel arches.

D

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 3:01 am 

I posted on the Yuku DSR forum about the SkaytR6 project. In response to that post, I received an email from Eric Sakuma of his interest in buying the Wycked7 that he saw on my website. I named a price and he purchased the car the next day after reviewing the build log here on the LocostUSA forum!
He asked if I would be interested in putting on front fenders but not the typical style as seen on the cars. A new set of tires/wheels showed up 2 weeks later! We worked on different ideas and came up with what you see in the pictures. The added work included a full belly pan. Jabroc skid plates, smaller headlights sourced from the UK and other detail work.
I made plugs, molds and then layed up the fenders and fairings in carbon fiber using vinyl ester resin. The wings are fiberglass covered 1/4" end grain balsa.

I want to say "Thank you Eric. I hope you will enjoy driving the Wycked7 as much as I did building it!"

The Wycked7 will be kept at Sonoma Raceway in California.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 9:40 am 

Congratulations on your sale. Are you thinking of a follow-on project?

Cheers, and Happy New Year,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 10:03 am 

John, Nice improvements. I'm sure you will miss her.

How well do the 2-part front fenders work? Interesting design.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 12:18 pm 

Yes, more fender info please. They look quite nice, and fit the rest of the car's style...a talent I have always lacked (and why I go for "classic inspired" for my own stuff--my own concepts tend to be a mishmash of Jetsons and Flintstones) and you've always shown (at least when you show your work here).

Now that Wycked7 is gone south, I understand if you can't take specific pics to our requests, but more closeups will be welcome, from whatever photo archives remain in your collection. And boy am I glad I got a ride before you sold it, and I eagerly await your next project.

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 1:07 pm 

The Wycked7 still resides in my back garage awaiting transportation to California. I have closeups during the construction of the fenders and am able to take specifics if wanted.

Thanks for the kudos - appreciated.

The SkaytR6 was put on the back burner (locked in the back garage) while working on the Wycked7 for Eric. I am now fitting the body sides and body mounts. Just finished the intrusion panels, firewall, fuel cell containment and fire bottle mounting. More to follow on the SkaytR6 project.

John

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 6:59 pm 

More pictures showing the fender plug, mold, fender mounting, stiffener to support fender and parts of the wings.
Also showing the belly pan and Jabroc skid plates.
The stiffener in the fenders allow a cleaner/stronger mounting (I hope/think). The area that has the mounting holes is 1/4" phenolic and the rest of the stiffener is the 1/4" end grain balsa. There are multiple layers of Carbon Fiber on both sides of the stiffener. I also built up the area of the front stabilizing mount.

JMR

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 9:14 pm 

And a few more that I did not include---

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 9:17 pm 

Jack and Chuck did drive the Wyked7!!!!!!!!!!!

And thank you, Jack, for allowing me to drive yours.

JMR

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 9:33 pm 

There is nothing that you do that ends up being SIMPLE! Everything is well engineered and executed. Can't wait to see more progress on the SkaytR6. Please post your progress here. We can all benefit from your skills and example.

I feel very honored to have seen, let alone driven the Wyked7. It was a blast running around the mountain roads. Your car is amazingly well behaved! If you ever come to the Chicago area John, I will certainly reciprocate your hospitality. That offer goes for you too Jack!

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 1, 2015, 11:23 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
There is nothing that you do that ends up being SIMPLE! Everything is well engineered and executed.

Yeah, what ^he said! That's some really cool work, Sir. The car looks amazing, I don't know how you can bear to sell it... But congratulations on the sale. Like Chuck -again- I'd really like to see that Skayt project as it progresses!

Oh yeah, Happy New Year too!
:cheers:
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 1, 2015, 2:05 pm 

I just read your thread. I really like your build and think that you did a great job. Congratulations on the sale.

PostPosted: January 2, 2015, 4:59 am 

Just read the remarks - thanks a lot - means a lot.
My last drive, at least for now, will be in a few hours when I take it over to the person transporting it. At least the the car will only have to be loaded once and then unloaded on Saturday in Sonoma.

JMR

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next