LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: August 14, 2011, 3:14 am 

Fitting and installing - finally. Worked on the tunnel for the coolant lines, throttle and misc, by the pedals. Refitting the front roll bar/braces and fitting the panels. Created an access for the fuel tank crossover connections and coolant line hose clamps. The access was the last fabrication for the actual chassis assembly. Received parts from the plating shop. Now waiting for the last batch of plating and final chassis hardware.
Rebuilding the calipers and clutch hydraulics from the MR2. The parts were amazingly cheap - under $60.00! Also found rebuild kits for the Lucas/Girling 5/8" master cylinders for $12.00 each.
Sorry - pictures are out of order - do not know how to rearrange them!

JMR

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: August 14, 2011, 8:37 am 
We are Slotus!

JMR-
Wow! Just... Wow! You continue to do amazing work! I especially like the shot of the tub w/ front subframe attached. Very, very cool stuff.
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 16, 2011, 11:28 am 

JD, THANKS! I hope to have it a roller in a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: August 16, 2011, 9:24 pm 

Yeah, I'm gonna need you to come to my house when it's time for the aluminum panel work :wink: Can I pay you in beer? (After said panel work is done for the day.)

Great job! I'm really fighting with myself over aluminum panels (hard and expensive, but lighter) versus steel panels (easy and cheap but heavier). I think I could convince myself to do aluminum if I had an air riveter and a nice set of clecos.

PostPosted: August 17, 2011, 2:08 am 

Winston,
Happy to loan the air riveter and clecoes. The riveter is on sale at HF for $35.00 if you want to purchase one, otherwise only the shipping from me. I also have a lot of the adhesive left.
You buy the tickets and beer - DEAL!

The BSPQ rivets take about 3 pulls from a hand riveter. The first adhesive/rivet panel I did on my CanAm car was a real shocker. I had a friend that worked at Townsend/Cherry rivet and he loaned me a riveter for the rest of the tub. In the 70's the riveter was worth several hundred dollars.

JMR

PostPosted: August 17, 2011, 2:47 am 

Played with body lines today. I have a sectioned nose mold (to fit around the MR2 radiator) and am trying out an idea from nose to rollbar including a windshield arrangement. I definitely am seeking comments and suggestions. I like the look of the Aviator type 7.

The one shot is looking from the rear into the center tunnel. I thought it was a neat shot showing the shifter and one of the coolant lines with reflections on both sides.

JMR

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 17, 2011, 10:44 am 
The voice of reason

Good progress. Are you setting up for adjustable front roll centers? Looked like the bracket may be made for that.

PostPosted: August 17, 2011, 11:39 am 

Horizonjob, very sharp eye. I am able to change both front and rear roll centers. I can lower the inboard pickups for the UCA by 1" with shims. The rear inboard pickup by 1" with another fixed position. The pickup points are on an arc from the outer UCA pickup point so as to minimize static camber change and keep the same relative characteristics I wanted. Unfortunately, I did not save my Wishbone files to a safe place. My last computer problem led the repair tech to delete any program that HE felt might be a problem without asking.

Any comments on the look?

JMR

PostPosted: August 17, 2011, 4:20 pm 

Made a slight modification to windshield and rear tape lines.

Seriously looking for comments. If there is something you do not like please let me know. I promise no retribution.

The blue tape indicates where "side curtains" could be in the side shot.

JMR

PostPosted: August 18, 2011, 11:23 pm 
Always Moore!

Woah I did not see the body taking this turn (was expecting it to go more sport racer) but I sure do like it. The lines look really good.

How do you plan on making the windshield?

PostPosted: August 19, 2011, 2:52 am 

I am thinking of bonding the windshield (all 3 pieces) to a fabricated fiberglass frame that is reinforced with a 5/8" to 1" tube. The rear windshield hoop attached to the rollbar braces and 2 - 5/8" tubes along the "seams" tying the hoop to the front roll bar. The fiberglass at the base of the windshield would be 2" or 3" wide for wiper pivots.
Form a few pieces of sheetmetal to act as a mold for the fiberglass - base of windshield, the two sides are identical and one for the top. The tubes can then be bonded to the tubes. Another layup can encapsulate the tubes. A little playing with glass will tie all the corners together.
That is my thinking.
Oh, a couple more pictures. Sorry tooo muuch clutter!!

PostPosted: August 19, 2011, 5:11 pm 

Another roll of tape, slightly different lines and to the middle of the rear tire. Constantly rethinking the design.

JMR

PostPosted: August 20, 2011, 1:50 am 
The voice of reason

Doesn't look like clutter, I think your knee deep in creativity. :cheers:

PostPosted: August 21, 2011, 4:20 pm 

Thank you Marcus!! That will be my story and "I am stickin' to it"

More progress now that I have almost all my shiny and painted bits. Hung the suspension and threw on the wheels.

The rear shocks are from Racerdan. They appear to be new takeoffs and it is a pity they will be hidden.

Windshield frame is up next, I think.

JMR

PostPosted: August 21, 2011, 10:56 pm 

I REALLY like the look of that aviator 7. Can't find any more pics, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next