LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: February 28, 2012, 1:49 pm 

OK, I'm back. Got distracted with other stuff, work, etc. I'll post up the latest pics once I sort through everything but here's the update:
I've decided to go full tube frame, front engine Honda V4. I've started on preping the body to make the molds. LOTS of work to do. I'm targeting a one piece front end and one piece back end so all seams have to be welded up then all bodywork done. I greatly prefer the 'no trunk' look of the early Metro so I welded up the trunk lid and grafted on the accent line from the 54. It'll make sense once you see the pics.
Of greater importance is that I've befriended a master fabricator (his profession was designing and building ProStock drag bikes!) who's interested in the project and we're about to start designing the chassis. More as we get things going and again, I'll get latest pics posted soon.
It's good to be back!
Chris

PostPosted: March 9, 2012, 12:35 pm 

Getting the body prepped to make the molds. Boring but for me, it's nice to see it looking like a Metro again!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 22, 2013, 4:10 pm 

Well, I got distracted with a 1942 Ford COE (cab over engine) so the Metro project has been, ahem 'put on the shelf'!
I'll be back to it, just not sure when. Hey, as literal as I am, at least it didn't go 'on the back burner'!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 23, 2013, 9:46 am 

... been wondering about this build- thanks for the update :wink:

Not everyday you see a 42 Ford COE.. although it's way off the locost beaten path, it would be cool to see a pic or two of where you're taking that project... you could almost justify it by saying the Metro will be on it's back one day...

-ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: June 29, 2014, 4:13 pm 

It seems many of us suffer from OCD / 'look! New shiny object!' syndrome. I know I do. Without going into all the details, I'm back at working on the Metro.
Part of the distraction was some yard art and custom gates I did for a local school remodel. My wife loved it so much that when I started talking about how much higher quality I could produce if I wasn't working on the ground, trying to hold something in place with one hand and tack it in place, she essentially said, "Buy whatever you think you need." So I did. But little did she suspect my ulterior motive: What can be used to build what she likes/wants also makes one hell of a frame jig!

So I got a couple 46" x 46" Stronghands BuildPro tables and a fixturing kit. I have to say, this really feels like cheating since I almost don't even have to think to get stuff perfectly aligned, etc. Today I started playing around with the narrowed Miata front end. It all still looks good so I should be on my way soon!

It's good to be back.

Chris

PostPosted: July 6, 2014, 10:51 pm 

tygaboy wrote:
It seems many of us suffer from OCD / 'look! New shiny object!' syndrome. I know I do. Without going into all the details, I'm back at working on the Metro.
Part of the distraction was some yard art and custom gates I did for a local school remodel. My wife loved it so much that when I started talking about how much higher quality I could produce if I wasn't working on the ground, trying to hold something in place with one hand and tack it in place, she essentially said, "Buy whatever you think you need." So I did. But little did she suspect my ulterior motive: What can be used to build what she likes/wants also makes one hell of a frame jig!

So I got a couple 46" x 46" Stronghands BuildPro tables and a fixturing kit. I have to say, this really feels like cheating since I almost don't even have to think to get stuff perfectly aligned, etc. Today I started playing around with the narrowed Miata front end. It all still looks good so I should be on my way soon!

It's good to be back.

Chris

Good to have you back.
This has been a combination that really appealed to me

PostPosted: January 1, 2015, 11:25 am 

I'm so plagued by distractions... But I'm slowly chipping away at this project. The current #1 distraction is the plasma table that found its way into my shop. Currently borrowed and it's so much fun, I'm about to pull the trigger on my own. I've been playing with metal sculpture and this really adds a whole other dimension. It also has the added bonus of fabbing up cool stuff for the Met project!

PostPosted: January 1, 2015, 11:33 am 

And I've solved the 'how to get reverse with the ST1300 engine': found this "Transworks Mini-diff" used! It's a cut down VW transaxle that's gutted so all that's left is one forward gear and reverse. I can select the gearing I want on that one forward gear to give me the final drive ratio I need. This thing is perfect for my 120 hp application. Oh, it also has inboard disc brakes! So cool.
And, you can see how the plasma table is being applied. I'm playing with building a cradle for the suspension pick up points (those are the inner most holes). The outer most holes are where the chassis tubes will run. This is just a proof of concept and yes, each cradle will be 2 plates that are boxed, etc. Same design is planned for the front suspension, a-pillar and back of door section.

PostPosted: January 1, 2015, 11:34 am 

Here it is with the cradle plates...

PostPosted: January 1, 2015, 11:35 am 

And one showing the brakes... so cool!

PostPosted: January 1, 2015, 12:55 pm 

Love the table !

PostPosted: January 4, 2015, 9:33 pm 

tygaboy wrote:
...So I got a couple 46" x 46" Stronghands BuildPro tables and a fixturing kit. I have to say, this really feels like cheating...

HOLY JEALOUSY Batman! Where did you find that on a locost budget? I just googled them and they are very proud of them! I wish I could find one in my price range. Looks AWESOME though!

Chris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8