LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 30, 2020, 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: November 29, 2011, 9:42 pm 

Hi Patrick, it's a 3 cylinder 1.0 liter which I think is about 50 or 55 hp. I think it will be a better handling car as a mid-engine set up. Will be using the Miata front suspension parts but not sure I will be using any of the Miata rear. Hoping I can go with the Metro rear with the Miata brakes. Will have to wait untill everything is apart to see what can be used where. I am not after speed, just something different for putt-putting around in...maybe cruise the parking lot of the local nursing home and see if these cars really are a chick magnet like some people say.

Last edited by BobM on January 25, 2012, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 4, 2011, 9:54 am 

Finally compleated the project that has been keeping me from working on the car. Yesterday I was back to disassembling the donor. Hopefully will compleate that phase by the end of the year. Then to the mock-up. Still studying to hopefully keep me from doing things too worng.
Reading the Kimini book at the moment...easy read and an interesting start for a beginner like me.

PostPosted: December 12, 2011, 8:51 pm 

The engine came out of the donor today. Finally feel like I am making some progress.

Attachment:
Engine removed Dec. 12, 2011.jpg
Engine removed Dec. 12, 2011.jpg [ 208 KiB | Viewed 4036 times ]

Also completed removing the wiring harness. Getting that sorted out looks like a fun project....NOT!!!

Attachment:
Completed wiring harness removal Dec. 12, 2011.jpg
Completed wiring harness removal Dec. 12, 2011.jpg [ 199.42 KiB | Viewed 4036 times ]

PostPosted: December 13, 2011, 4:18 am 

Interesting project, looking forward to your build.

PostPosted: December 13, 2011, 8:10 am 
Always Moore!

Nice Bob. I still cannot get over how small and compact those 3 cylinders are.

PostPosted: December 14, 2011, 1:07 am 

Thanks Andrew, and yes, it is a fairly small package. I took some rough measurements this evening and the engine is 29" long, 18" wide (includes alternator and oil filter on opposing sides), 24" high, and 13" from the center of the axle to the oil filter.

PostPosted: December 14, 2011, 12:35 pm 

The once proud and mighty Chevy Geo donor ready for the scrap yard.

Attachment:
Remains of donor Dec. 13, 2001.jpg
Remains of donor Dec. 13, 2001.jpg [ 209.93 KiB | Viewed 3928 times ]

PostPosted: December 16, 2011, 9:31 am 

wpfrye wrote:
Hi Uncle Bob,

This is your nephew Patrick out here in Cali. Mom clued me in to your project and I joined the forum just to lend support and enthusiasm. I always wondered when you would build a car.

So, is your donor a 3 cylinder or 4? This is probably a bad idea, but that Miata rear clip looks so cool, you could use it, put the motor in front turned longitudinally, and fab a driveshaft from a lengthened halfshaft. I saw this setup on a mini rock crawler with a Honda motor and trans mounted sideways and I thought it was super-cool. Of course you would have to weld the diff in the Geo trans unless you were going AWD too, but you have that new welder so.......

Like I said, probably a bad idea bad idea.

Anyway, good luck. I will be watching. Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

I know you said you wouldn't do this anyway, but the reason us rock crawlers will use a transaxle going out to diffs is that we don't need high speed, just slow goin. Most Honda powered transaxle buggies won't go much more than 65mph. Remember, there's gear reduction in the transaxle for the 3 or 4 gears PLUS the differential. If you then run it out to ANOTHER differential you're getting a lot of gear reduction. Great for acceleration and turning big tires, not so great for street use...

Cool sounding project. Take that fancy new welder, talk to the guy that has that chassis shop and see if he'll give you some scrap tube and steel to practice with. Then start welding scrap together to practice. DON'T start welding on your chassis until you can get good, solid welds that the chassis guy likes. It's worth it to take the extra time to get your welding up to par. Unfortunately, I see way too much scary looking welds on this and many other sites.

PostPosted: December 16, 2011, 1:08 pm 

Geo frame went to the scrap yard today. Now I will have room to set up my table in a good working location.

Thanks for the advice russellmn, I will certainly heed it. Fortunately I have a couple of proffesional welders who are willing to train me. One is a retired certified aircraft welder. The other is a dainty and very pretty young lady (early twenties) who works for a major fabrication company that has contracts with some aerospace companies. She specializes in TIG welding stainless steel and some other exotic metals I didn't reconize. Her family had Thanksgiving dinner with us and she gave me an orientation to MIG welding and installed the wire for me. With young ladies I guess it helps to play the helpless old man :wink:. Wonder which one I should choose? Eeni, meeni, mynee, moe. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited by BobM on December 19, 2011, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 16, 2011, 3:05 pm 

BobM wrote:
Geo frame went to the scrap yard today. Now I will have room to set up my table in a good working location.

Thanks for the advice russellmn, I will certainly heed it. Fortunately I have a couple of proffesional welders who are willing to train me. One is a retired certified aircraft welder. The other is a young (early twentys) dainty and very pretty young lady who works for a major fabrication company that has contracts with aerospace companies. She specializes in TIG welding stainless steel and some other exotic metals I didn't reconize. Wonder which one I should choose? Eeni, meeni, mynee, moe. Decisions, decisions.

Is she single and when are you sending her to MN to meet me? :cheers:

PostPosted: December 16, 2011, 3:41 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I have a couple of proffesional welders who are willing to train me. One is a retired certified aircraft welder. The other is a young (early twentys) dainty and very pretty young lady who works for a major fabrication company that has contracts with aerospace companies. She specializes in TIG welding stainless steel and some other exotic metals I didn't reconize. Wonder which one I should choose? Eeni, meeni, mynee, moe. Decisions, decisions.

Take lessons from both of 'em.
But only give flowers/candy/bottle of wine/whatever works to one of 'em.
I'll leave it to you to figure out which one...

PostPosted: December 16, 2011, 4:28 pm 

BobM wrote:

Thanks for the advice russellmn, I will certainly heed it. Fortunately I have a couple of proffesional welders who are willing to train me. One is a retired certified aircraft welder. The other is a young (early twentys) dainty and very pretty young lady who works for a major fabrication company that has contracts with aerospace companies. She specializes in TIG welding stainless steel and some other exotic metals I didn't reconize. Wonder which one I should choose? Eeni, meeni, mynee, moe. Decisions, decisions.
You never know when you'll need to weld unobtainium. :roll:

PostPosted: January 11, 2012, 2:24 pm 

I have gotten things pretty well cleaned up except for the hard baked on stuff on the block. Any secrets for getting that stuff off?

Following Jack's lead in keeping everything Geo, I have decided not to use the Miata parts and have gotten '96 Geo front spindles, hubs, and brakes.

So....I am in the parts ordering mode. Ordered seats from Summit, rear brake calipers and parking brake cables through eBay. Have sent an email to Kinetic's for nose, scuttle and fenders. But am having a problem deciding on wheels. Noticed that Jack has Drag DR-9 wheels on MAX and was wondering if these would be suitable for my project. The color scheme I am planing to go with is "Cub Yellow" (for visibility) with red accents and black pin stripping. What would look best...red or black wheels?

Comments would be appreciated.

PostPosted: January 11, 2012, 2:59 pm 

Red panasport-esque wheels with a polished lip... Or plain panasports with a polished lip... Lol

PostPosted: January 18, 2012, 11:29 pm 

Serious ordering mode today. Drag DR-9 wheels (red with machined lip) and Yokohama YK580 (205/60R15) tires. Also talked with Jack and ordered fiberglass parts and motor mounts from him. The seats came in from Summit (excellent service), but am a little disappointed with the seat covers. I wanted nylon but got vinyl. Seems there was a mixup on part numbers and the nylons are no longer available.

Since I have decided to stick with Geo parts I have Miata parts for sale. SOLD

Last edited by BobM on January 27, 2012, 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next