LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 27, 2020, 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: March 6, 2012, 6:14 pm 

oldejack wrote:
barbarossa2 wrote:
I'll be watching your build. This was my original idea,a metro powered locost,but as fuel prices went down my engine ideas got larger. Starting to think small again. I couldn't come up with a good RWD tranny to match the suzuki 3cyl.

Suzuki Samarai 2WD. Bolts up and it's nice and light, something around 65 lb's iirc.
Decent ratio's; 1st 3.652 2nd 1.947 3rd 1.423 4th 1.000 5th 0.795 Reverse 3.466 in 1986. .. 5th went to .865 around mid 88.

FYI...2wd and 4wd samurai use the same trans (transfercase is divorced).

PostPosted: March 6, 2012, 7:57 pm 

Flipper_1938 wrote:
FYI...2wd and 4wd samurai use the same trans (transfercase is divorced).

Doh! :BH: It sure is :mrgreen: I only ever worked on one of them things. .. cute little bugger though. I hear they do really well with a VW turbodiesel in 'em.

Last edited by oldejack on March 6, 2012, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 6, 2012, 8:13 pm 

Interesting timing. ..

The current ecomodder has an article about a G10 engine/Sami transmission combo dropped in a Miata.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=404694&highlight=geo

Here's a teaser.

Quote:
Suzuki G10 3 cylinder project.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to my low buck three cylinder Miata thread!

Low buck? Yes!

I'm doing all the heavy lifting so my expenses may be higher, but this build could be replicated on the cheap. I think I can put this together for less than $2000.00

1996 Geo metro with collapsed front suspension $250.00 (Ran great!)
1986 used Suzuki Samurai gearbox $75.00 (seller said it was "good".... We will find out)
1986 used Suzuki Samurai flywheel $45.00 Shipped
1986 used Suzuki Samurai clutch and cover $70.00 shipped
1996 used Geo tracker oil pan $45.00 shipped
1986 used Suzuki samurai starter $35.00 Shipped
1986 used Suzuki Samurai short driveshaft $10.00

This is a low performance and light weight powertrain project. I can get away with stuff that you V8 folks might find unacceptable. Also this powertrain needs to be able to install without major modifications to the chassis or body tub.

PostPosted: July 23, 2012, 10:45 am 

FINALLY, I have managed to get logged back in after a couple of months of fruitless trying.

I have moved to AR but was only able to get about 2/3 of my stuff in a 26' Uhaul. Most of my tools are here, but not all the car parts. However, I had Jack send my fiberglass parts here, and my wheels, which I ordered in mid January, finally arrived a couple of weeks ago. They sure are "purdy".

I will probably go back to PA in October to bring down the rest of my "stuff". I picked up 75 feet of 2"x.065 4130 tubing for the price of mild steel. The local chassis shop in PA had it on hand and had no use for it anymore. Thinking of using that for the main chassis. Overkill no doubt, but since it is thin walled I felt it probably would not be any heavier that the 1 1/2 inch mild steel I had planned to use.

Arkansas State University has a technology campus a few blocks from my house, and I plan to start a TIG welding class there in the fall. It's a ten week course that ends with certification testing. Would be nice, but not necessary, if I could past the certification test.

PostPosted: July 23, 2012, 5:12 pm 

Welcome back, Bob. Now you need to adjust your User Control Panel to show you're not in PA any more. :)

I'm very interested in your project, and glad to see you're getting back to it. Let me know when you want engine mounts.

PostPosted: July 23, 2012, 11:42 pm 

Jack, I'll take the engine mounts now if you have them. I want to have as many of the parts in hand as possible when I get started.

Also, any ideas you have on the frame design, suspension, brakes, ect. would be appreciated.

PostPosted: July 24, 2012, 7:29 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Bob-
Good to hear from you, Sir! Glad you're back in bizness... How'd you wind up in Arkansas? Did we know you wuz movin??? Oh well, good luck there. I hope you find some more sweet-young-things to instruct you in welding! :mrgreen: Keep us posted on your progress. (With the car and the sweet-young-things!)
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 24, 2012, 10:27 am 

Hi JD,

I moved to Arkansas because that is where my stepdaughter lives and I will need someone to take care of me when I get old. Notice I said old not "mature/grownup". Until then I will need "adult supervision". Unfortunately I have been without that for a few months, and it is going to take more than a few months to pay off. Got some pertty tools though.

First things first. I have to keep my priorities straight and get this project done before taking on any "sweet thangs". But, if opportunity knocks.....

PostPosted: July 24, 2012, 11:09 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Also, any ideas you have on the frame design, suspension, brakes, ect. would be appreciated.

Glad you're with us again. It's too bad you've moved so far from such good welding advice.

I think Midlana is a good place to get ideas for your chassis. I have drawn a basic version of my chassis design for a midship engine. It allows for a North/South layout so lots of room for a transverse motor. That might make sense anyway unless you really want a very short wheelbase.

PostPosted: July 24, 2012, 3:59 pm 

I've been watching the Midlana project closely. Have the Kimini book, wish the Midlana one was out....or better still the "Cheap Skate" book.

PostPosted: July 24, 2012, 4:13 pm 
We are Slotus!

BobM wrote:
I moved to Arkansas because that is where my stepdaughter lives and I will need someone to take care of me when I get old. Notice I said old not "mature/grownup". Until then I will need "adult supervision". Unfortunately I have been without that for a few months, and it is going to take more than a few months to pay off. Got some pertty tools though.

First things first. I have to keep my priorities straight and get this project done before taking on any "sweet thangs". But, if opportunity knocks.....

I hear ya, Bob, those "adult supervisors" are hard to come by...
Good to know you're near family, that's always a good thing. (Well, almost, Mama-In-Laws don't count)
Keep us posted, send pictures of the car as you progress, and above all, enjoy life!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 29, 2012, 11:20 pm 

Started welding classes again. This time at Arkansas State University (ASU) technology campus, which is just a few blocks from my house. Was introduced to some new inverter type welders, which I really like. May try to sale my big Lincoln Idealarc 250/250 (330 lbs.) and buy one of these new inverter types. Like the looks of the Miller Dynasty 280 (52 LBS.) (not out yet) and the Lincoln Invertec V205-T AC/DC (38 LBS.)

Anyone looking for an industrial size TIG/Stick welder?

PostPosted: August 30, 2012, 8:30 am 

Great to see you have settled down. You need to go to the Brits in the Ozarks car show (http://www.britishironnwa.org/) on Sep 8. Dr Hess will have his work in process Locost there. I wish I could be there with my car but I can't. He is a good person to know down in that neck of the woods. Russ

PostPosted: August 31, 2012, 10:17 pm 

Russ, thanks for the "heads up" on this show. I will definitely try to make it. Map Quest says 211.96 miles/3 hours 25 minutes. Guess I'd better leave early.

PostPosted: September 15, 2012, 9:44 am 

Didn't make the show. Instead I volunteered for my church's "Diaster Relief Team". We went to Pearlington, MS to help people clear their houses of flood damaged. Met some really nice people in a very bad situation. This is the third time in the last five years they have been through this. But their spirits are still up....although FEMA is trying it's best to destroy that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next