LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: TR-82 Exo
PostPosted: May 5, 2012, 10:44 am 

I'll probably get Eric's (AEM) due to the postioning of the cables (to the left of the tranny).
http://www.kitcarchassis.com/parts.php

I decided to make my own tranny mount instead of using Eric's. I'll just simply use a "L" bracket bent, drilled, & attached to existing screws to make it work. Here's a quick flimsy mock-up.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 5, 2012, 4:54 pm 

The fuel adapter I used went from AN12 to AN8 then from AN8 to a 3/8 barb. You could probably find a AN8 to 5/8 barb pice and step down from the AN12 to the AN8. I think I either bought the parts at Summit racing or a sand rail supply place. I think I also ordered two of the AN6 or AN8 (I forget what the tank nipples are) to 3/8" barb 90 and used a boat line vent for the venting, and installed it higher than the tank, right along the dash cross tube. I have pics of it somewhere on my other computer.

Also, the windshield rubber is held in place with some black windshield sealant. It is not silicone, but structural polyurethane IIRC. I would just have a local windshield place do it. The guy I used supplied the custom cut glass, and installed the windshield using the Bugpack molding I supplied for around $80. Definitely not worh thte hassle or likely goof ups with limited working time that the polyurethane affords. If I supplied the glass precut he said it would be like $30 to just install it in the frame. The bugpack molding is really ideal for 1.5" tubing, so the adhesive isnecessary on the 1" used for your frame.

PostPosted: May 5, 2012, 5:05 pm 

Here is a pic of the gas tank venting. The only vent I could find was for a somewhat larger line than the barbs coming out of the tank, but there are probably other, simpler solutions out there. I used lots of parts from the local marine store.

:)
BT

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 5, 2012, 6:59 pm 

Thanks BT. I'll relook at Summitt's inventory for the adapters, and will talk to the local windshield folks about securing the rubber and putting the glass in.
Good advice on the fuel vent lines.

Pook - Here's a picture of the bracket I fabbed for the shift linkage.

PostPosted: May 5, 2012, 8:59 pm 
Toyotaphobe

That looks Home Depot simple and effective.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: May 6, 2012, 12:36 am 

The shift linkage guy says even this may not be strong enough. Apparently there is a very strong spring in the shift rod. So I may try to thicken this up a bit.

PostPosted: May 6, 2012, 12:59 am 

We made some additional progress tonight with the fuel lines.

An AN12 to AN8 adapter, AN8 to nipple adpater, and additional coolant hosing were ordered & should help finish off these systems.

PostPosted: May 6, 2012, 6:25 pm 

So I designed another low cost alternative to my earlier shifter bracket. This one has support in two directions rather than just one. The shifter guy likes this approach better. I may still need to thicken it up, but it seems pretty sturdy to me.

PostPosted: May 6, 2012, 6:52 pm 

I would take that braket to a metal shop and have someone fab a copy up out of 3/16" steel. I doubt it would cost over $50, and you would not have to ever worry about it getting sloppy / bent. The car is really looking good! When you get to the wiring stage I would just do like the instructions say. If you have any questions, the helpline guy was pretty good about giving me directions when I did the green car. You can also generally follow the instructions here:
http://www.goindesign.com/w4r/EZ2Wire-Manual.pdf
It is from a competing brand, but the wiring colors and circuits are almost identical, and the competitor's diagram is much more up to date.

BT

PostPosted: May 6, 2012, 7:43 pm 

Awesome advice. Thanks.

PostPosted: May 7, 2012, 8:40 am 

badermatic wrote:
Awesome advice. Thanks.

DO NOT CONNECT THE NEGATIVE!!!

PostPosted: May 7, 2012, 9:23 am 

I think the EZ2Wire instructions say not to connect the negative about 28 times! The nice thing is that they have a total car diagram, and then blowups of each wiring section. I called the helpline about the wiring for the ignition switch and the flasher relay, and that was about all the help needed. I had to research how the alternator wiring worked on a 914 so I understood what I was trying to do. Electricity was never my favorite subject, but these new wiring harnesses make doing the job relatively easy. I installed 2 bus bars for grounding, that way each circuit had an individual ground wire. I thought it would make troubleshooting easier, but I never had to do any of that from bad grounds which is the most common wiring problem apparently.

BT

PostPosted: May 7, 2012, 12:05 pm 

No need for a bus bars anymore, the newer TR's have multiple ground lugs built in.
PooK

PostPosted: May 7, 2012, 6:11 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I suggest rerouting the fuel line, by straightening the bend in the hard line from 90 to 45 degrees and routing behind coolant flex pipe, then rotate each pump fitting an additional 90 degrees tighter but using liquid teflon or less teflon tape (also tape tends to shred and clog the filter). Use another thin piece of metal to bolt to the front od the head, then bolt a cushion clamp the the metal to secure the fuel line away from the header. Run the line along the intake. This way, if the fuel hose does every crack and leak, it may not cause a fire. It will also last longer away from the heat and reduce the chance of vapor lock.

Also consider bolting on the carb backwards for easier throttle cable routing and a shorter pcv line or swap valve covers.

For the hard line where it may rub the coolant pipes in the tunnel and there is no way to clamp it, consider 3/8 fuel hose, split lengthwise and cut into 3 inch sections. The hose ID should fit snug to the line OD so it will stay put.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: May 7, 2012, 7:22 pm 

More good advice. I love it. The fuel pump fittings are only hand tightened so I'm sure I can get another quarter turn out of it. I did use the teflon paste. I can also trim the hard fuel line to remove the bend, if needed. One of the coolant hoses isn't attached yet (awaiting one final section). My original plan was to route the fuel line under the roll bar cross member, but your concept sounds better less flop, less line.

Regarding the PCV, am I correct in assumming that the PCV goes in one valve cover and a breather goes in the other and that it doesn't really matter which goes into which cover?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next