LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: TR-82 Exo
PostPosted: June 4, 2012, 7:51 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

[quote="badermatic"]Capped off the timed (ported) vacuum line on the carb since most people are recommending going with the manifold vacuum to connect to the vacuum advance on the distributor. Comments are welcome on this one....
quote]

Edelbrock reccomends (i.e. whomever wrote the avs manual) full manifold vacuum for the vacuum advance as a band aid for other problems. I suggest correction of the other problems before capping it and think full manifold vacuum is a bad idea, but I've never tried it.

The "problem" can be getting sufficient airflow to idle at the correct initial timing setting without opening the primaries far enough to get into the idle transfer slots, causing the mixture screws to be unresponsive and off idle transition problems because the plates are in the wrong place.

The solution is to drill the primaries near the center with a 5/64" bit. This allows air to bypass the circuit and the plates to be closed further for a given idle speed. You could drill the second air bleed, but it is harder to solder it back up should you decide to go with a smaller cam later and the idle speed is too high at the correct initial timing.

For comparison, the carter afb has an idle air bypass that is adjustable and some aftermarket companies sell a bypass plate sandwiched under the carb to do the same thing without drilling the primaries or tampering with the secondaries.

Run first, tune later. Leave the vacuum advance capped until it is tuned. Then, if there is little to no vacuum at idle at the timed port, connect the vacuum advance for improved mileage which is what it is for. Don't proactively drill or modify the carb. They work well out of the box, so that is a good place to start.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: June 4, 2012, 10:21 pm 

oh! you are using one of those carbs,

pcv valve, if you install a pcv valve there are two ways to connect it, first as described above, second and i justify this method by saying the factory do it is to have no path for air to enter the crankcase just the pcv valve applying a vacuum pull on the crankcase, this will promote ring seal and prevent oil leaks

if you are having idle problems, it may not be the carb at all, if you open the crankcase to air and the idle picks up and you close the crank case the idle drops, your intake is leaking from the inside, probably at the ports in the head.

likewise if you spray carb cleaner along the join between the heads and the intake and the engine changes note at idle you have a leak there.

setting up the carb, never expose the transfer ports to the ventury vacuum at idle as this effects the transition flow of fuel in the carb,

adding advance at idle by using manifold vacuum instead of timed vacuum only effects advance at idle, the timing will be advanced at idle then behave like timed vacuum at all other throttle positions, it may help to make the engine run better at idle, do not set the initial timing with the vacuum line connected.

if you still have trouble with not enough air at idle, before you go drilling the primary throttle plates try opening the secondaries a little, this will at least still give you metered air, you can't really tune a carb exept by plug color. this should be a last resort, carbs are almost always good out of the box but who knows.

do not set the total advance over 36 degrees at 3000rpm and all the advance should be in at that, the timing light should read 36 degrees at 3000rpm and should not go any higher as revs increase above that, with the vacuum hose disconnected and plugged. if it is more than 36 degrees at 3000rpm, reduce the initial timing to suit, again with the vacuum disconnected and plugged, if it continues to advance above 3000rpm then you will have to limit the advance inside the distributor at the weights.

i can't give you any more info as i do not know enough about the engine architecture to be of any use, for example the dynamic compression ratio as opposed to the static ratio, and the inlet closing point.

a word to the wise, never force the distributor with a screw driver in between the wire towers.

if you have detenation occuring under hard acceleration from idle, you will have to retard the initial timing by guess work till it stops, then go back to the total advance at 3000 rpm, to give you the 36 degrees you may have to change the springs and weights in the distributor, if this occurs before anything else diconnect the vacuum advance and plug the line and try again, if the detonation goes away, you will have to limit the vacuum advance.

is the engine level in the car as in level to the ground, if it is, is the carb level, if the engine is level to the ground beware of air being trapped in the water jacket in the back of the heads, you may need a bleed valve there, and you may need a wedged shape carb spacer to level the carb

your header bolts will and i repeat will loosen especially if you have put anti sieze on them, you will need some sort of locking system like stage 8.

this info is not just off the top of my head, i am an expert at this although some would disagree, this will get you in the ball park and have some idea what to do if things are not right.

if i had to put my finger on the problem, i would say 80% of setup problems are timing related and the rest are air leaks.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: June 5, 2012, 12:53 am 

Quote:
likewise if you spray carb cleaner along the join between the heads and the intake and the engine changes note at idle you have a leak there.

I use an old propane torch that I've modified with a rubber hose on the end instead of a torch tip. A lot easier to clean up and much easier to clear a suspect region of unburned fuel than using an aerosol fluid. (I blatantly plagiarized from Chrysler for that btw :mrgreen: )

I usually shoot for 12-14 degrees advance at idle (vacuum pipe pinched) and 34-36 total advance @ 3500 rpm with the pipe open. .. on a Chebby that is. (No those aren't roach clips in my box! sheeeeesh)
You shouldn't see timing change at idle when you unpinch the pipe (1/2 degree is no problem but 1 1/2 is way too much and usually indicative of an incorrect or failed spring in the advance mechanism), don't forget that there's a bit of mechanical advance capability in most dist as well.

Baseline timing and total advance are sort of independent of each other. ..
In other words if your strongest idle is at 18 but your total advance is 46. .. you need to limit the total advance down to 36 rather than reduce your base timing.
And them durn springs/clips/weights oughta have @$%#$%&#^ for a first name :BH:
Later model heads (such as Vortech style) use ~4 degrees less advance since they flow and homogenize the A/F mixture better than the old double hump heads.
Bigger carbs tend to need more advance. .. to deal with poor A/F mixing at low speeds.
Barry Grant gives some baseline timing numbers with adjustments for carb sizing and camshaft duration. It's somewhere to start at least.
http://www.demoncarbs.com/Index.asp

In reality, given the nature of your beast (a power to weight ratio of what?!?? :ack: ), I wouldn't bother with vacuum advance (they were developed to improve driveability and run on ported vacuum so that they only do something when the intake airflow across the port generates enough vacuum to overcome spring tension in the advance mechanism, rather like an ejector nozzle trying to suck the advance diaphragm into the intake instead of a fluid), using a mechanical only advance will function well without the added bits and tuning issues.

Hmmmmm Edelbrock carb. ... didn't they buy the Carter AFB/AVS designs?

PostPosted: June 5, 2012, 7:49 am 

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The amount of knowledge available on this forum is awesome!!
PooK

PostPosted: June 5, 2012, 10:44 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
cheapracer wrote:
Do I detect no feet protection from stones, etc.?

And no protection for one's own personal "stones" from stones of the rock variety? :shock:
Perhaps fans of exo-cars are too tough to worry about such things... :mrgreen:

Exposing the soft underside of your feet to that danger isn't a good thing. Different to a motorcyclist's foot angle, although I have had a few "ouch!" 's over the years.

I believe an At-om driver ended up in hospital after taking one on the porcelain pointer.

PostPosted: June 5, 2012, 11:20 am 

Quote:
believe an At-om driver ended up in hospital after taking one on the porcelain pointer.

It took me a moment to get the meaning of "Porcelain Pointer". I have never heard of that phrase so I Googled it. All I get is a bunch of links to ceramic dog figurines. You may have coined a new term for the male anatomy. Could it be a Chinese phrase translated?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 5, 2012, 11:50 am 
We are Slotus!

I hate to admit to NOT knowing an off-color reference, but that was a new one to me as well.
Well Done, Cheapracer!!! :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 5, 2012, 12:31 pm 

See that's what I'm talking about. I learn something new every time I log on!
PooK

PostPosted: June 5, 2012, 5:33 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

john hennessy wrote:
the factory do it is to have no path for air to enter the crankcase just the pcv valve applying a vacuum pull on the crankcase, this will promote ring seal and prevent oil leaks

They draw air in through the maf pipe. The vent and pcv do not have to plumb through the valve cover(s). This is why dry efi intakes get coated with oil after the tb.

Edelbrock bought the avs design.

To all, in support of Hennessey's comments and regarding vacuum advance and timing in general:

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/res ... ing101.pdf

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: June 5, 2012, 10:56 pm 

Great. Thanks for the info. So it sounds like I made the correct decision for now. I'm connected to the carb's manifold (full) vacuum port rather than the timed (ported) vac. Can't wait to fire this puppy up...:D

PostPosted: June 6, 2012, 12:17 am 

rx7locost wrote:
"Porcelain Pointer". .... Could it be a Chinese phrase translated?

Been around from before my time in Oz.

If you're brave, some may like to watch an old well known Australian movie (1972) called "The Adventures of Barry MacKenzie" here's a clip in which you will hear a few similar colloquialism's .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4sjyrmSXOw .. and you'll hear the above one at the 2.10 mark

The whole movie is on Boobtube http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... enzie+1972

PostPosted: June 6, 2012, 1:30 pm 

sorry to hijack this thread on a lesson in old engines,

first off, base timming or inital timing is some what just a starting point.

vacuum advance through a untimed port is accepted by many as the way to go, i blame this on the manufacturers of "muscle cars" in a time when emmision laws were in their infancy, in this case, the manufacturers used untimed vacuum advance to clean up the burn at idle, therefore negating the need for any initial advance at all, they would actually move the keyway in the crank snout to make the engine seem like there was initial advance when there was none at all (ford 460). the only time an engine sees initial timing is just off idle at hard throttle application, when the mechanical advance has not started and the vacuum is at it's lowest.

vacuum advance is there to match the spark to the speed of the burn when the charge varies due to sudden changes of the throttle position, just like a map sensor is there to increase the pulse width on acceleration or the vacuum operated fuel pressure regulator on early injection systems like bosch, it responds almost instantaniously.

the time taken to burn a combustion chamber full of air/fuel at a ratio of 14-1 (lamda) is a constant for any given dynamic compression ratio, unfortunatly, the 14-1 is not always present, when it's say 18-1 you need more advance because it burns slower, likewise when its 10-1 it burns quicker so you need less advance.

there are other factors which control the speed of the burn, if you use 87 octane fuel, it burns quicker than a higher octain, if you raise the compression ratio it will burn quicker, if you create turbulance in the combustion chamber it will burn quicker, the last thing is what has been the most prevalent in modern engines.

as a side line, the best effective turbulance in a chamber would be achieve with a squwish hight of 0.040, that is the distance between the head flat area and the matching flat area on the piston.

this is why most engines are not hemi in their design, when they invented the hemi, it was in a different time with less knowledge than now about burn rates and fuel was fuel so their answer to speed up the burn was compression and a spark plug in the center so the flame front could travel outwards evenly, this is not the world we live in now, in the 60's a man called Dave Degins was racing Triumph motor cycles and developed a hemi design with a squish area at either side of the chamber/ piston which would make 500rpm more down the straightaway than a conventional hemi due to the turbulance it created and would go further on a tank of fuel.

interesting though it may be, i am wandering again.

the vortec head design as you can tell by it's name creates a lot of turbulance to speed up the burn on 87 octane fuel and is quite efficient, if you are using a distrbutor in the old days of Chevy, you would set the total advance at 38-42 degrees and get it there as soon as possible, this no longer applies as we now have turbulance, limit the advance to a max of 36 degrees at 3000-3500 rpm. beause fuel burns quicker it needs less advance and more of the fuel is burnt due to turbulance instead of going out the exhaust.

if as suggeted by oldejack, you pinch off the vacuum hose, this will trap the vacuum in the distributor and will stay advanced, if it doesn't, you need a new vac can on the dissy, you have to let air in to the vac canister by disconnecting the pipe, remembering to plug the pipe to prevent air being sucked into the manifold.

to sum up, you need vacuum advance, you need total timing, initial is just a matter of being there and is totally dependant on total advance and may be altered to gain the total advance required for your engine provided that there is vacuum advance present at idle (direct from the manifold or untimed port) and you do not go into a retard condition with the initial, i.e. after top dead center, if this occurs you will have to limit the mechanical advance at the distriburor.

if you have a stumble off idle however, you may cure this by adding initial as this is a symtom of loss of vacuum signal to the carb, you can check this by adding initial advance to see if this is the problem, if it is, then you will have to go inside the dissy and adjust the mechanical advance to maintain the total at 36degrees. if it does not cure your stumble you need more fuel from the accelerator pump.

do not be fooled by adding initial advance willy nilly with the vac pipe disconnected and hearing the engine speed up, this is just a symptom of a stronger signal to the carb causing it to pull more air and fuel in, thats what you need the vacuum advance at idle for, try a max of 12 degrees and if it doesn't cure the stumble go to the carb.

watch for the dreaded detonation, this must be avoided at all costs. if you get detonation, at cruising speed, disconnect the vacuum and try again if it goes away get a slower stiffer vac can, if it does not then you have too much mechanical advance, or a combination of both.

like in a modern computer controlled engine where you would make a 3D fuel/spark map, you are making a mechanical fuel/spark map with nothing to help you other than intuition, plug color, the tail pipe, poerformance and the detonation point.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: June 6, 2012, 8:35 pm 

john hennessy wrote:
like in a modern computer controlled engine where you would make a 3D fuel/spark map, you are making a mechanical fuel/spark map with nothing to help you other than intuition, plug color, the tail pipe, performance and the detonation point.

Or, as I got in the habit of calling it "OBD-C" . .. the "C" being "cranium" :rofl:

:cheers:

PostPosted: July 11, 2012, 8:16 pm 

Due to a busy summer (son's high school graduation, parties, college orientation, and vacations) very little progress has been made on the car. However, body parts have arrived and the window is finally in the frame. Yipee! :lol:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 11, 2012, 9:42 pm 

What color you guy's going with?
PooK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 44  Next