LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: TR-82 Exo
PostPosted: November 18, 2014, 5:19 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I can't speak to what the person at EZ said. It is very easy to take out of context.

You have power to the park circuit only when the brakes are applied.

Scrutinize the attachment below for changes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: November 18, 2014, 7:03 am 

Thanks MiataV8! That completely makes sense to me and is what I will do! Will let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: November 18, 2014, 5:46 pm 

That did the trick. 100% success on all lights!! :yay: Thanks again!!

PostPosted: November 23, 2014, 9:17 pm 

Fender Time! I gave up on the fiberglass concept. It’s so messy and my skills were lousy. Decided to see what I could do with some cheap ($29) trailer fenders from Northern Tool (10” wide) and e-trailer (10.75” wide).

After receipt, I trimmed 1 foot worth off of each fender with a cut-off tool to get them to the point you see here. I think this is the right length to provide adequate coverage from stones and other road debris. These trailer fenders have a flatter arc so that the front edge and the tail edge of the fenders stick up a bit more than I would like above the tires. I can live with a little extra clearance above the tire at these prices.

Unfortunately clearance with the frame is issue due to the flatter arc. On the back fenders I solved this by pushing the front edge of the fender closer to the tire. Leaves the back end of the fender a little high but I am OK with that in this case.

On the fronts it looks much better if the front & back edges of the fender are balanced with equal space above the tire. I don’t want to make these fenders any shorter. Unfortunately, due to the flatter arc, when I turn the wheel all the way in one direction the inside edge of the fender will smack the frame. I order to resolve this issue this I will probably notch out a small section of the fender. The fenders will ultimately be painted black and with the tires being black, I don’t think it will look horrendous. Feel free to disagree. Though the fender may function slightly less effectively, it will sure beat some of the other fender coverage I’ve seen out there (e.g., Ar-i-el atoms).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 28, 2014, 11:04 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Doesn't look bad at all. It is hard to find just the right radius fenders. I used ABS black plastic trailer fenders plastic welded with a soldering iron.

The mounts on the front need to be super stiff and strong to handle the weight of the fender flopping up and down. The rear you can mount to the chassis.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: May 2, 2015, 7:24 am 

I’m back in the game! After taking time off for the holidays and recovery from a broken shoulder, I can finally get back to it.

Taking MiataV8’s excellent suggestion I decided to mount the rear fenders to the frame. Not having any welding skills and not wishing to compromise the integrity of the frame by drilling holes I came up with mounting system that I think will work. I used pipe clamp “U” bolts attached to the frame and “L” brackets to secure the fender. Ultimately I will replace the “L” brackets with sturdier metal. I also have the fender connected to the stays with bolts that are currently too long and will be replacing these.

The front fenders have been mocked up using flat stock as the stays. The stays are attached to the aluminum uprights (hub). I was originally planning on tapping the uprights to receive a bolt, but got lucky and found that the empty two holes that were already there were actually threaded and would accept a 7/16” bolt. The other stay uses one of the bolts holding the brake in place.

The 1/8” flat stock I used is too flimsy and allow the fender to flop around. These will need to be replaced with a thicker, stiffer material. But at least I have a template now to work with.

I contemplated using carriage bolts for fender attachment, as they look a lot neater, but I got worried about the bolt spinning and being unable to remove it at later time. I don’t have a square hole punch, and didn’t want to oversize the hole at this stage. I decided to go with 3/8” hex bolts for now (function over form) but I can always change to carriage bolts later.

Anyway that’s where we are now with this project. I am off to a car show today and hopefully will get some inspiration and ideas.

PostPosted: May 2, 2015, 7:30 am 

How about these for your fenders? https://www.boltdepot.com/Socket_button ... _8-16.aspx I use a similar one for mine. Love your car. Russ

PostPosted: May 2, 2015, 7:34 am 

That certainly would look much better. Thanks!

PostPosted: May 2, 2015, 1:32 pm 

My local Ace Hardware has those button style bolts. Stainless, black, or chrome.

Cheers

PostPosted: May 2, 2015, 2:22 pm 

Bader,

Fender stays need to be super stiff in the direction of flex, especially if you use a heavy steel fender. Flat stock will work fine for mock-up but for final construction you need "depth" in the direction of flex. My S-1 has round tube with a 1/2" inside diameter and both sides have cracked and broke on me. Had to sleeve it on the inside. Now it just flexes a little beyond the sleeve.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: May 2, 2015, 4:13 pm 

If you know someone with a shrinker you could tighten the radius of those fenders to get a closer match on tire radius.

PostPosted: May 4, 2015, 7:35 pm 

So I beefed up the fender stays replacing the 1/8" flat stock mockup with a 1/4" by 1" flat stock. Much tougher to work with, but 100% better in terms of stiffness. Feels pretty solid, though I wouldn't want anyone to sit on it.....Anyway I also replaced the hex head bolts with socket button head bolts for aesthetics. Will look much after the fender is painted.

PostPosted: May 18, 2015, 9:48 pm 

Back to the fenders:

I recently discovered that unlike the other available holes on the aluminum uprights (where I am attaching the stays for the front fenders), one of the holes on the left upright was not threaded to receive a bolt. I decided to try my luck at tapping the hole. I watched a couple youtube “how to” videos, bought a tap and drill bit at the local hardware store, and after 5 minutes had a threaded 7/16” bolt hole. Am learning a lot with this project.

So with the front fenders secured in place, I needed to trim them to allow full turning of the wheel without the fender smacking the frame. Not the greatest barrier for stone protection, but will be an acceptable compromise. Front fenders are now done. Will look better after painting (black pearl metallic). Will revisit the backs tomorrow.

PostPosted: May 19, 2015, 9:35 pm 

Took the TR-82 out for a quick spin to check fender clearance. Front fenders needs some additional trimming. Reverse needs some attention - Trouble with engagement. But very happy the car started up on first try, and with very little drama, after sitting for 6 months .

Here are a couple of pics and two short videos for your viewing entertainment.
http://youtu.be/pQaHsu_WQXQ

https://youtu.be/oudFcmsR7EE

PostPosted: May 20, 2015, 12:11 am 

Usually not a big fan of the Exo cars but you's is exceptional. Congratulations on a nice build.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 44  Next