LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1498 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 100  Next
PostPosted: August 13, 2012, 12:16 am 

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on this site for a couple years, after finding it while resarching construction techniques for the project in the subject line. I've got two years invested in the project now, and thought you all might like to see what I'm doing. Oh, and I was both surprised and pleased to find folks talking about this kind of vehicle here on the forums. I'd like to thank Jack McCornack for being so free with his info on the Kinetic site, lots there (and Here!) was very helpful. and of course, I have the Haynes Book.

I've had this thread moved to the build logs so i can post some history and updates. thanks horizonjob!

So, as they say on Top Gear, "Anyway..."

The two pictures below were taken on 3/4/12. I call it the B-3, because its got MGB spindles and wire wheels, and well, 3 wheels. Consruction techniques and materials are straight-up Locost.

Some details: the engine is a 1981 Yamaha XS850 (approx 60 hp) driving the rear wheel thru a custom 2-piece driveshaft. The rear end is from a mid '90s suzuki VS1400, with the final drive from a VS800, for the shorter gearing. I only had two goals, weight under 1000 lbs, and under $2500. in the pics, it weighed 658 lbs. As far as how much I've spent, well, who knows? who cares! ;-)

the front suspension is all original design scratch built with motorcycle coil-overs holding it up. The steering wheel is from a 60's triumph spitfire, and the steering rack is from an '82 or so Porsche 924. wheel conects to the rack thru a variety of triumph, speedway motors, VW Jetta, and Porsche parts. trust me, they all work so well together, that its like the same guy designed it all. weird, and serendipitous!

Oh and its already registered. In my home state, 3 wheelers are considered motorcycles. the XS850 steering head with VIN is welded into the frame.

this is the donor-cycle, way back around june of '10 (the suzuki burgman 650 in the background is my daily rider)

my day job involves mech engineering (I'm a mechanical designer), so I have access to a CAD app, with which I did the initial design, around april of 2010...

the first tube I cut, sometime in august '10...for perspective. it was a good thing I really had only a minimal idea of the amount of wiork I was in for...

The frame structure as of, I forget, 12/10 perhaps? yes, I was building it in a cellar, an often wet cellar. Sometimes, I would stand on a pallet to keep my feet out of the water while I was welding.

fast fwd to april 2011, after my landlord rented one bay of the detached garage to me, and the B-3 moved out of the cellar. It sat on all three wheels for the first time.

fast Fwd another year, and it had gotten its engine, exhaust, headlights (speedway motors deitz-style) turn signals (from the donor), and a bunch of other stuff...

here it is now - well, as of a cpl weeks ago anyway - apart, getting its interior sheetmetal, and painting the frame.

feel free to ask all the questions you want, I have over 750 pictures of the entire build, plus maybe a hundred hours of video, some of which is on my youtu be page. go here - http://www.youtube.com/user/robbovius?feature=mhee

Enjoy! Robb

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

Last edited by robbovius on August 16, 2012, 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: August 13, 2012, 12:48 am 
The voice of reason

Congrats and cheers!
:cheers:

PostPosted: August 13, 2012, 1:08 am 

Great! Nice to see another trike on here.

PostPosted: August 13, 2012, 1:48 pm 

very cool. What are the details on the instruments and dash? Is that a MB grill?

PostPosted: August 13, 2012, 11:49 pm 

gregaustex wrote:
very cool. What are the details on the instruments and dash? Is that a MB grill?

You are correct sir. the grille is from an early 90s Benz that was sitting in the german car section of my favorite boneyard. Used to have acres of old iron there, in fact thats where I got the MGB and spitfire parts, but all the old stuf was gathered up and crushed in may of 2011. new owners wanted to move late model. I was about the only guy scrounging from the old stuff...the grille is attached with custom brackets to the stock MB mounts on the grilleaccross the top and on the bottom outer corners.

Anyway...

The Dashboard is a piece of 1/2 inch thick birch plywood trimmed to fit inside the dashboard cowl hoop.

the dashboard panel is attached to the coul hoop flange with 5 mm stainless steel button head screws. The flange is .125 mild steel, and was drilled and tapped for the 5mm threads.

the gages are from the donor, supplemented with a variety of aftermarket...clockwise from bottom left, mechanical Oil pressure, Cylinder head temperature (air cooled eng, necessary I think), donor XS850 tachometer, donor XS850 speedometer (whiuch I havent quite figured out how to drive yet), voltmeter, starter button, Ammeter, and back beside the oil pressure gage is the on-off switch for the VS1400 fuel pump. This picture shows the Spitfire steering wheel. It's huge, 17 inched in dia. That thing makes it a bit hard to get in and out of...

...so I recently bought a Speedway Motors splined Steering wheel quick-disconnect hub, and tried out an old grant 13 inch foam grip wheel I've had in 3-4 different cars since about 1990. much easier to get in and out of, more driver knee room too. I'll probably make an adapter to mount the triumph wheel onto the QD though, just 'cuz the Spit wheel is so kewl.

PostPosted: August 14, 2012, 11:13 am 

:shock:

Beeeayoutiful!!

:cheers:

PostPosted: August 14, 2012, 12:04 pm 

thanks for the details.

I chuckled when I saw the "Made in USA" sticker under the dash. Made in the USA...from international donors.

thx again, Greg

PostPosted: August 14, 2012, 12:40 pm 

Greg oh I hate talking about the project :-) I keep telling people i have "3 more months!", but ive been saying that since april, so, like, 3 more months! I'll probably include other details here, from earlier parts of the build, and log current activity too.

Robb

PostPosted: August 14, 2012, 5:57 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I like it. I'm suprised you didn't reuse the Yamaha fuel tank too. It looks like it may have fit behind the dash.

I guess this is gravity feed. Do you have another way to shut off the fuel flow?

I have a silverwing scooter and am also working on a trike, or will be once my barn is complete. Should be a couple more months now.

I assume there is only one ujoint on the bike stock. Did you add another and just connect the two?

I'd like to see and hear a video.

Another guess is the speedo is cable driven off the bike's front wheel. Maybe gut the speedo to swap the internals for an aftermarket adjustable unit and it's own sensor off the driveshaft flange.

Plan to can the exhaust pipe for a heater? Just a wrap around the pipe with a 1" greater od tube, open at the front, elbow at the back to the inside with a butterfly valve.

Looks like you could sit a few inches lower too, bringing the cowl down with it for a very slick shape when skinned.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: August 14, 2012, 11:35 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
I like it. I'm suprised you didn't reuse the Yamaha fuel tank too. It looks like it may have fit behind the dash.
I guess this is gravity feed. Do you have another way to shut off the fuel flow?

Hope you don't mind me answering in detail with pics ;-)

the stock tank is actually too long to fit in the fwd cowl, and I need that room for electrics and the glove box, etc. I did mock the tank up over the rear wheel a few times (see pics) but the amount of work I've had to have done to make that installation work(and keep the rear cowl height I wanted) was excessive, and I wanted more that the 4.0 gallons of the stock XS850 Special tank capacity, so I ditched it in favor of the 6.5 gal polypropelene Speedway motors tank seen in the pics upthread, and a few below.

Though the tank is nominally higher than the carbs on the engine, the fact that the fuel line travels down to the floor, along the length of the passenger compartment and then back up to the carbs made me feel a pumped system was appropos. the fuel system goes from the Speedway tank, down to a suzuki VS 1400 fuel pump that's going to be operated by a fused dashboard switch. there will also be a standard motorcycle style fuel shutoff beneath the tank.

The fuel tank installation occured between 11/22/11 ans 12/21/11. Tank mocked up for positioning

Fabricating the tank mounts from 1.5 x .125 mild steel angle. I've gotten into this thing of boring 3/4 inch "lightening" holes into bracketry. adds a nice visual detail, doesn't really do much for weight. the mounts are cut and tapered to meet the middle top bar on the rear passenger frame, and the vertical flanges were notched for the round tube they're sitting on. there are also stiffener supports welded between the horizontal tank mount surface and the tubes.

mocked up with welding magnets

simple 2-bar welding fixture...

fuel tank and fuel pump installed

Quote:
I have a silverwing scooter and am also working on a trike, or will be once my barn is complete. Should be a couple more months now.

kewl, the silverwing is a nice machine. they're rarer even than burgman 650s ;-)

Quote:
I assume there is only one ujoint on the bike stock. Did you add another and just connect the two?

well, yeah, kinda. there are two Suzuki VS800 Ujoints, and one XS850 ujoint. the B-3 has a two piece driveshaft: a rear driveshaft under the seats that rides in race-kart axle bearings, and a fwd driveshaft (I call it the "intermediate driveshaft") that connects from the XS850 output flange to the fwd end of the rear driveshaft.

the rear driveshaft is a piece of 1.0 OD .188 wall DOM, with the spline ends from two Suzuki Intruder VS800 driveshafts cut, machined to fit, and welded into the tube. don't worrry, I didn't use my little 135 amp 120 volt welder for that. A buddy of mine owns an automotive shop with a nice miller 240 volt welder that I used. I also did significant weld prep, i.e.bevelling.

prepped, and welded, spline end.

to fit into the kart axle bearings, I had to have the rear driveshaft weldment machined on both ends to .995 OD. This pic shows the back end of the rear driveshaft which supports the free end of the vs1400 driveshaft inside the swingarm.

the intermediate driveshaft rides free between the fwd end of the rear driveshaft, and the XS850 output flange. same construction methodology, minus the finish machining. main difference is that the fwd spline end has an XS850 driveshaft spline end (cut and machined) welded in.

Quote:
I'd like to see and hear a video.

I have a bunch of video on my youtube page, the address is at the end of my opening post. of course, it usually winds up being a month+ out of date since actual building is the priority ;-)

Quote:
Another guess is the speedo is cable driven off the bike's front wheel. Maybe gut the speedo to swap the internals for an aftermarket adjustable unit and it's own sensor off the driveshaft flange.

I have a concept on mind that uses a couple pulleys and a toothed belt driven from the intermediate driveshaft (somewhere), to drive the motorcycle speedo drive, but I've been looking at the various aftermarket electronic speedos (sunpro has a nice one for about $100) and making a pulse wheel to mount to the driveshaft ( since most of the aftermarket units like 8 pulses per revolution) might be where I wind up. and then I'd get riod of that stupid early 80s 85 mph speedo...I'd have to rewire a couple indicator lites but, eh.

Quote:
Plan to can the exhaust pipe for a heater? Just a wrap around the pipe with a 1" greater od tube, open at the front, elbow at the back to the inside with a butterfly valve.

heh. I saw the "A&P" in your handle ;-) yep I've thought about a homebuilt aircraft style heat muff. I am motivated to make this a year-round vehicle, so interior heat will likely hqppen at some point. I was an EAA member for about 10 years from 1984, got plans for an Acrosport 2, a KR1, a Greiga Aircamper, and a Hovey Deltabird ultralight. I have boxes and boxes of Sport Aviation magazine.. want some? :-)

Quote:
Looks like you could sit a few inches lower too, bringing the cowl down with it for a very slick shape when skinned.

welll, ummm. the rear driveshaft - due to the motorcycle engine/swingarm offset towards the driver's side - is right under my right hipjoint, within 1.2 inches when the seat is in place. the seats are about as low as they can go. the engine is actually offset .75 inch to the passenger side to get a little more footwell space for the driver (and clear the steering shaft, but that's another story with pics ... :) )

Robb

PostPosted: August 15, 2012, 6:46 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

robbovius wrote:
I have boxes and boxes of Sport Aviation magazine.. want some? :-)

Robb

Thanks, but I'm pretty well covered in that area!

I looked but saw no driving videos on your page.

I've decided on basically formula vee from the drivers seat forward, with tandem seating so long and low.

LxWxHt

PostPosted: August 15, 2012, 7:17 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
robbovius wrote:
I have boxes and boxes of Sport Aviation magazine.. want some? :-)

Robb

Thanks, but I'm pretty well covered in that area!

Thought that might be the case :-)
Quote:
I looked but saw no driving videos on your page.

Yeah but there's plenty of me pushing it around, right? I think theres a driver's point of view celphone video of me rolling down the street with flintstone brakes...but yeah, you're right, so, um, "3 more months"!!! :-)

Quote:
I've decided on basically formula vee from the drivers seat forward, with tandem seating so long and low.

Kewl, got any sketches?

PostPosted: August 15, 2012, 7:30 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

No sketches for tandem, but here is a pic of a formula vee. I can't be that low sitting on a Dodge neon seat, but otherqise very similar. The geo metro radiator will be up front and the frame will include a cage that frames the windscreen.

My build topic is diesel trike under the nontraditional builds section half way down the first page.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt

PostPosted: August 16, 2012, 10:44 am 

Mstr, thnk for the link I will definitely check it out

Robb

PostPosted: August 16, 2012, 3:01 pm 

hey Robb, just found this thread. i'm building a JZR 3w with Moto Guzzi power. i'm now starting the driveshaft. the one that came with it isn't worth using as it has too much runout. it will have to turn up to about 5000rpm. did you balance your shaft?

mine is a one piece shaft 1 3/8" DOM tube. i plan to go to a 1" or 1 1/8" split tube so the bearings can turn faster. i also have extra spline parts to use.
Fred V
jzrusa2.blogspot.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1498 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 100  Next