LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
PostPosted: March 9, 2016, 8:39 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Quote:
Got it right off of the shelf at Homeless Despot.
One of my kids referred to it as "Home Beepo" when she was about 2. I haven't been able to say "Home Depot" ever since... :mrgreen:

ERMAHGERD! Erm Goin to Herm Derper!

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: March 9, 2016, 10:22 am 

But, you're thinking of the flashing stuff as an under-floor thermal insulator? Is it heavy? How much does it cost? Do you have a product name or label? I don't need it now, but I intend to insulate my floor and transmission tunnel on the finished build. It's always good to have products in mind.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 9, 2016, 10:26 am 

robbovius wrote:
in other news, first commute of the year today.

In the great minds think alike category:

Attachment:
Parking Lot.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 9, 2016, 12:13 pm 

Must be official first commute day!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 9, 2016, 12:55 pm 

Well I didn't commute today. I don't commute anymore :mrgreen: But I did fire up the Locost for a few minutes yesterday the first time this year. Does that count at least a little? I'm jealous of you guys driving already. But you can have the commuting part!

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 8:31 am 

Chuck, come 12/31/17, and I won't have to commute anymore either... ;-) Jellies, and yes that counts.

Run 87, Wyked, right on, compadres! Wyked, I was in Hershey visiting middle daughter the week before last, next road trip probably won't be until the fall, but when it happens I'll contact you, as I'd dig checking out your machine.

Lonnie, here you go, this is the stuff I bought, $28 a roll.

linkage to the Homely Derpool page...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quick-Roof-EPDM-Self-Adhesive-Rubber-Flashing-Tape-FT910/202267106

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 10:47 am 

Got it, Rob. Thank you.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 12:19 pm 

Sure thing, let me know when you'll be in the area and we'll set something up!

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 1:16 pm 

Quote:
Chuck, come 12/31/17, and I won't have to commute anymore either... ;-) Jellies, and yes that counts.

Well then, a premature "CONGRATULATIONS" are in order. :cheers:

I spent the 25yrs of my working life as: 13 yrs commuting 30 miles/ 1+ hours each way, followed with 12 yrs of commuting 38 miles/1+hrs each way. That's over 12,500 hours (312 work weeks!) I'll never get back! I don't miss it for a moment. You won't either, I'm sure.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 28, 2016, 10:39 am 

10,000 miles later...

yup, after I rolled into work on Monday 6/20/16, I saw this on the odometer...

Attachment:
20160620_073209.jpg

I built it to drive, and drive it I do...and have done, apparently.

Here's the latest portrait of it, waiting out a rain shower at work, last Wednesday. I think you'll notice that the tailpipe is now a straight stinger, rather than the turn-down it had for the 2014-2015 seasons. buh-WAAAAARRRT! yup. still not as loud and annoying as several of the Harleys that live nearby.

Attachment:
20160622_130613.jpg

Its dirty pretty much all the time, gets a windex wipedown a couple times a year, and that's all it'll ever get. those motorcycle shocks up front still work pretty well, although the bushing surfaces are rather too narrow for the front end weight, and the bushings are beaten right out...

Attachment:
20160620_073227.jpg

I've gotten in the habit of flipping the drivers lap belt around the rear brake handle when I climb out (the shoulder belt goes right up over the roll bar), which means the seat belt latch tongue often hits the body...thus these many tiny dings...

Attachment:
20160620_073310.jpg

And, I can't keep mirrors on it...mirror brackets anyway. This is the third to have broken off (and this one was .188 thick steel!) due to vibration. Eventually I'll get the combination of mirror and bracket just right, and they'll last more than a year.

Attachment:
20160620_073326.jpg

It vibrates a LOT... the steering wheel is the major rattler now (big tolerances in the Speedway splined QD), I often find myself driving with my hands hanging off the top of the wheel, just to kill some of the rattle.

Oh this is weird...the passenger side front tire wears at twice the rate of the drivers side. yeah, beat's me too. so I just swap the fronts side-for-side at the beginning of the season.

It handles pretty well, and predictably (defaults to light understeer when pushed), and it brakes harder than any other vehicle I've ever driven, including my race kart. It's not track optimized, and after 10K + miles, I have rethought the idea of doing track days with it. Having driven it spiritedly on the road, I admit things do get rather more busy between working the rear handbrake and shifter - not to mention the slow steering (more on that later) and keeping up with the driver workload when trying to go as quickly as it seems capable of.

also there's that big gas tank up high, and I do get it up on two wheels a bit cornering hard.

That Slow Steering...yeah. the Porsche 924 rack is really too slow, even having shortened the MGB steering arms an inch, and its really easy to get behind on corrections during slides. You may remember the post I made June of '15 where I looped it into the curb and did the field repair with the passers-by supplied crowbar. a couple times since the same has occured - though, minus the curbstrike excitement. Nail it into a powerslide, tail comes out quickly, get behind on the steering and around we go, loop. If the slide angle is shallow, its okay ( and I look like a hero) but when the rear wheel gets way out there - like near or outside either front tire - its really hard to keep up with it, and once it starts coming back, there's really NO keeping up, it snaps right back, kind of like my race kart did. I've gotten it up on two wheels during that slide snap-back a couple times as well.

Have I mentioned that the B-3 is an Exciting Ride? ;-) Regardless, even considering all those histrionics, its a stone blast to drive. keep it to a comfortable empty roadworthy (as in the viddy linked at the bottom of this entry) 60-70%, its big smiles and "wheeee!" Trust me, I'm an expert.

I have both MG Midget and Triumph spitfire racks to try, but that will require cutting and re-welding on the front structure a bit, and I'm not highly motivated to do that.

That bored-out engine. Ahrg. And I thought punching the engine out to 896 CC would be So Kewl...well, it sort of is. But, ever since then I've been chasing around a part-throttle detonation issue at 1/3rd to 1/2 throttle. it happens once I'm up to full CHT (350F) and like, stepping into it to maintain speed up a hill. Its been maddening. I know its because with the increase in bore from 826 to 896 CC the compression ratio jumped from 9.5 to 10.25 (about).

just over the last weekend I tried going back to XS750 needles, but with XS1100 emulsion tubes, and so far that seems to have fixed it, but I think I just have to break down now and drill out the break-away bolts that hold the ignition plate in place, so if I need to I can retard the ignition a degree or two. It runs the best now with the current jetting and I'm hopefully these richer needles have fixed the detonation, but I want to wait another week of commuting before I call it fixed.

I have to say, I really know quite a bit about CV carb tuning these days, and I have an absolute shit-ton of Mikuni BS34 Mk II carburetors and parts (two full working 3-carb racks, several boxes of parts, every jetting combo you could need).

Speaking of spares, I've also got another complete XS850 motorcycle (for the spare engine) another stock cylinder block, 4 cylinder heads...too much to list really. ;-)

So anyway, yeah I drive it a lot. Lately its been doing this thing where I feel heavy driveshaft vibration in right hand turns on the gas. but I think I know what's going on. I'll be out there tonight under it checking things out.

Pam and I - who are in the process of buying a house together , though that's a whole other trainwreck - took it to the vintage races at Thompson Speedway in Thompson CT last Friday...

Attachment:
20160624_131807.jpg

...and one of the best parts was the 11 minutes of free roadway we had on the ride home after leaving the speedway...raw POV video from the B-3 Cowl, enjoy!

http://youtu.be/xJknT6jIPDM

PostPosted: June 28, 2016, 2:54 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
This is the third to have broken off (and this one was .188 thick steel!)

Metal fatigue can be an amazing thing. Maybe something more sheet metal triangular thingie? with one side against the car and the other leg reaching outwards more to the outside of the mirror?

Quote:
Oh this is weird...the passenger side front tire wears at twice the rate of the drivers side.

Is this what would happen if the rear wheel was just a tiny bit turned to the side? Because of toe one front wheel would be straight and the other just very slightly turning while going straight? Sort of has to be something that happens in a straight line, I think.

It's great you put the miles on it. Were the vintage races fun?

PostPosted: June 28, 2016, 3:30 pm 

Jealous of your mileage!!!

PostPosted: June 28, 2016, 3:53 pm 

Congrats, Robb!!
robbovius wrote:
Its dirty pretty much all the time...

But still looks good. At least that's what I tell myself.
robbovius wrote:
I've gotten in the habit of flipping the drivers lap belt around the rear brake handle when I climb out (the shoulder belt goes right up over the roll bar), which means the seat belt latch tongue often hits the body...thus these many tiny dings...

I do this too, but somehow the paint doesn't chip. Much.
robbovius wrote:
I have rethought the idea of doing track days with it.

Go for it. I keep telling myself I'll do this once I get sticky tires and a decent engine.

How heavy are your mirrors? My brackets are just like yours, a little wider but only .120 steel. I cut mine from large square tubing so I didn't have to bend anything, maybe that helps.

PostPosted: June 29, 2016, 8:18 am 

Hey dudes!

Marcus, RE:the uneven front tire wear. I think whats' going on is that I've got a lot of toe-out (which really cuts out a lot of dartiness, and has increased its straight-line stability), and the crown of the road makes it want to fall to the right...maybe? at any rate going down the road, the right front is scrubbing a bit.

the vibration that keeps killing the mirror brackets has the engine at its source, of course - solidly mounted 120 deg 3 cylinder, not counterbalanced at all.

BUT...

chasing down that driveline vibration I was feeling, last night I found that the back end of the engine was just loosely resting on the rear engine mount bolt, with a good .090 slop between the left and right frame mount bosses which engine sits between. There are two .188 thick metal-rubber-metal isolator washers between the ends of the motor mount cross-bolt hole on the engine, and the motor mount bosses on the frame. I was able to put a screwdriver in there and wiggle the back of the engine back and forth freely - not especially kewl. This condition exacerbated the felt vibration throughout the vehicle, since the engine was able to rattle around freely (kind of) at the back end.

it had beat some dents into the long cross-bolt...

Attachment:
20160628_175628.jpg

...so, using some .007 stainless steel shim stock (bought last winter for shimming the magnets on slot car motors) I made some tubular shims for the bolt...

Attachment:
20160628_181827.jpg

...and crawled back under the B-3 and slipped them into place - with only minor difficulty - into the cross-bolt bosses on the engine.

Attachment:
20160628_182838.jpg

that's the driver side boss shown. Also visible in that pic is the frame mount boss (where that orange circle is (that's rust, of course) and the bottom edge of the rubber islolator washer.

with those in place, I used a couple large flat washers and hand made shims to take up the all the side-to-side clearance between the engine bosses and the frame bosses. after that I just slid the cross-bolt thru and cranked it down to the UK XS850 spec 70lbs/ft. (USA rear motor mount bolt torque spec is a wimpy 15 lbs/ft)

I noticed the difference as soon as I started the engine - MUCH less subjective vibration, especially at the 2000-2500 rev range where the amplitude is greatest. A whole spectrum of rattles and buzzes throughout the machine disappeared, and on my 20-mile Holliston-Ashland-Hopkinton-Milford test loop, driving enjoyment was noticeably improved. The steering wheel even rattled less. ;-)

Of course, as hoped, the drive line vibration in right-hand turns vanished too.

See Nick, this build log will never end. Might be months between updates, but there you go ;-) As far as your mirror mounts, I don't think your car has anything like the level of vibration the B-3 has. your engine is rubber mounted, and I bet you can see stuff in your rear view mirrors. On the B-3, the view in the driver's side mirror is mostly blurred from the engine vibes, even with the engine tightened right down snugly.

If I'm honest, the 10K mile post was in response to an Email that Tommy Samuels sent me wondering where the hell I was... ;-)

Marcus, the vintage races were fun, but rather more thinly attended. the first year I went (2014) there were cars everywhere, in all the paddock areas around the rack including the Oval infield. last year, the infield was empty, and this year the lower paddock (autocross and skidpad area) had only 2/3rds of the cars that were there last year. race fields were small-ish, 8-10 cars mostly, except for the small-bore stock class, which had 15 or so cars.

the antique class was my favorite. there's this one guy who shows up every year with a 1933-34 Alfa P3 straight -8 (8C2300, I believe) grand prix car, and he does beat it up, squealing the tires everywhere around the course. That car had the best exhaust tone of anything that ran.

He also had new car at the event:

Attachment:
20160624_152148.jpg

A mid 1950s Lancia GP car. Beautiful, right?

the engine is awesome. DOHC V8 with two plugs per cylinder, and the required four Webers. Quintessential Fifties GP goodness...

Attachment:
20160624_152158.jpg

I also saw the inspiration for the Next Proj...well at any rate, ANOTHER inspiration...

...this super groovy Amilcar with a Ford Four-banger flattie.

Attachment:
20160624_150332.jpg

Pam and I both looked at each other, "yeah, that's cool..." Bloody Hell Straight-8 candidate right there, no?

It got the award for "Most Raucous Blat on Course"

Nick, yeah, I'm on the fence, with regards to doing a track day or two. Partly because the B-3 really isn't optimized, tech inspection wise, but mostly its that finding a driving group that will allow the B-3 is hard to find. I'm might go spectate at a couple track days and let the folks there get a look at it, and see what they say then. It may very well be that it can't pass tech for anybody. IN all honesty the driver workload is manageable, if I don't go crazy with it.

if I did, I wouldn't want to be in with the really fast guys, I just want to be able to bomb around without worrying about traffic, y'know?

Last edited by robbovius on June 29, 2016, 8:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: June 29, 2016, 8:20 am 

wyked wrote:
Jealous of your mileage!!!

if you hadn't had to take a year engineer in a whole different engine, you'd be right up there ;-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next