LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 100  Next
PostPosted: September 6, 2012, 8:01 am 

From The Blackberry Archives!
From March 23rd, 2012, a short video taken when I was installing the headlights and front turnsignals.

And, not even 3 minutes ago, I pulled the trigger on the sheet aluminum for the body skin...flathead rivets now, pls...

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: September 9, 2012, 11:19 am 

Anomoly mentioned my last video status of the project was 6/26/12, so yesterday I did new one, enjoy!

Last edited by robbovius on September 9, 2012, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 9, 2012, 6:44 pm 

Awesome. I really like the seat mounting/battery compartment idea.

PostPosted: September 9, 2012, 11:28 pm 

Yeah, I"m pretty pleased with the way that battery install worked out, its pretty sanitary. I'l need to make a cover out of some non-metallic material, but I've got a binch of these .065 plastic panels around which plastic climbing holds are packaged on, that i used to build the bouldering wall up in the attic. one of those would work nicely.

I bouhgt a roll of gray automotive carpet today, but I don't think I'm going to carpet under the seats, I'm just going to leave that the natural aluminum.

anyway, next will be fabrication of the roll bar and roll bar supports.

Last edited by robbovius on September 12, 2012, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 12, 2012, 12:36 pm 

As The Prophecy Foretold!

...or, as I'd mentioned in the previous post upthread anyway, roll bar fabrication has begun. A couple weeks ago I purchased two 8-ft lengths of SCCA lega 1.5 OD .095 wall DOM, and last night I headed over to my buddy Adam's shop to have a go on his nice big hydraulic bender...

...on which, going by this blurry blackberry pic, only the 2 inch dies have been used since about 1965.

So I got busy with the emery cloth, steel wool, and a whole lotta rubbing...

...until the tubing channel was nice and shiny...

...And that backing die could join its previously-cleaned brothers on the tubing bender.

In order to bend the roll bar to the dimensions I'd designed (24 in high X 40.5 in wide overall) I needed to know the radius of the bending die. So, I traced the die onto a piece of cardboard such that I could measuer the OD of the die, and then measured the depth of the tubing channel to calculate the ID of the bend curvature...math time in the build notebook!

From there I was able to calculate where to mark the beind line on the tube to get the dimension I wanted. More maths!

At this point I couldn't put it off any longer. I measured, marked the tube, clamped it in the bender, fired up the machinery, and stomped the GO pedal...

Ta DAHHH!

Shown is the result: a nice 90 deg bend, which measures 23.88 overall. I call that good, giving myself a nice .25 tolerance ;-)

Thus encouraged, I made a mark to get the roll bar width, applied a level to ensure parallelism of both roll bar legs (pic above), and let the bender do its thing.

the Picture is a bit blurry, but I'm happy with the result. I wanted 40.5 inches wide, and got 40 even. Again I call that good.

Of course, this is only step one. now I have to even out both legs, measure and cut a small angle on the bottom of the vertical legs, prepare the frame for welding, apply the bracing etc etc. More to come!

PostPosted: September 19, 2012, 10:05 am 

Roll Bar Progress...

The project has slowed a bit these last couple weeks, as I've been helping my oldest daughter with a new(used) car pruchase, but a few steps forward have been taken.

After a bit of mocking up with some PVC pipe, I determined that the roll bar main hoop would need an 18 degree angle, and so marked and trimmed the bottom of both legs...shown is passenger side.

The frame uprights a the rear corners of the passenger area are doubled 1x1 .065 wall, I'd always intended for the roll ar to mount to a reinforcing doubler plate bracket. the plate is made from 2 x .125 mild steel, scored and bent (in a method similar to what I'd seen on the Kinetic site) here its also notched to fit around the upper rear body frame tube. One for each side, they will eventually be fully boxed (with .125 steel) and welded...

Holding the roll bar in place, mocked up over the bracket.

The main roll bar (1.5 OD x .095 wall DOM) tilts back as an 18 deg angle (to clear helmets during driving) and will be braced (with 1.0 OD x .125 wall DOM) nback to the rear shock mount area on the frame, with a triangulating brace inbetween the two rear braces (which need to be at 15 deg to clear both the fwd trunk edge and the fuel tank).

I hope to get the roll bar tacked in place over the weekend...

PostPosted: September 24, 2012, 11:49 am 

Never mind tacked, its welded!
After I got the mounting brackets formed and notched, I mocked the roll bar up with some welding magnets and a piece of PVC pipe

looked good, and came out 3 inches ablove my girlfriend's helmeted head, so about 2 above mine - SCCA Legal, covering the assumption that someday I'l take it autocrossing, at least.

Once I had it all positioned and marked, I welded in the brackets...

passenger side...

...and driver's side...

and then measured and cut boxing plates to enclose the brackets.

boxing the outside of the drivers side bracket.

both sides boxed.

passenger side bracket boxed.

nothing left to do at that point but position the roll bar and weld it in. I set it on it's marks, measured a couple times just to make sure, and fired up the welder...et voila ici!

Roll Bar Majesty...

I know, looks just like the mockup picture, minus the welding magnets...it was supposed to, right?

a couple weld details, just for perusal.

tonight I plan to cut the 1.0 OD x .125 wall tubing for the bracing, which will extend rearward down to the shock mounts on the frame, with a diagonal between the two bracing tubes. I may also add a couple small angle braces in the corners of the roll bar itself. I figure another week adn a half before the rollover structure is completed and painted.

for reference, in finished form, the roll structure should look like this when I'm done...

PostPosted: September 24, 2012, 7:05 pm 

Looking good. What do you plan on using for body panels?

PostPosted: September 24, 2012, 10:45 pm 

Hey anom, whassup? The body is going to be skinned in .040 3003 H14 aluminum sheet. I bought the material for the bodywork a couple weeks ago, from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. Thats where I got the metal for the firewall and floors. I've got four 2*4 sheets to skin the sides, and two 3*4 sheets for the forward cowl and rear turtledeck. The sides will be super easy because theyre flat, and the fwd cowl shouldnt be too bad since thats two similar radius curves, but the turtledeck will be challenging to form. Probably won't get to that until decembrr maybe. It'll be unpainted for its first few drives :-)

PostPosted: October 1, 2012, 1:37 pm 

Well, the roll bar is in and braced, though I'm not as happy with my fabrication as I could be...

I got the bracing in over the course two days and it all started out pretty kewl. The 2 rearward braces mate with the 1.5 OD roll bar at the top, and the .78 shock/fender bracket mounts at the bottom. I figured fish-mouthing the tubes on my drill press would be a good method, and so it turned out.

cutting the big end...

looks pretty good!

after a little cleanup, a perfect fit.

since I had the big end cut set up, I did the second tube right away with similar results. then I moved on to the small end. the stock Intruder 1400 fender bracket mount has a 20mm (.781 ) OD, so I figured I'd just cut it out with a .75 hole saw and then massage the fit with a half round file.

boring the .75 hole at the proper length.

once I got the hole bored, I cut the end of the tube off halfway thru the hole to make the fishmouth...minor massaging and cleanup gave a good fit.

after that it was a simple-ish matter to get both tubes to fit in place pretty well. welding magnets, a piece of scrap angle, and two C-clamps completed the setup, and I called it quits for that evening.

Now, the .095 and .125 wall thicknesses of the tube were under the max material thickness my 135 amp MID unit is capable of, and over the last couple years of the build I've gotten pretty adept at welding from below, so I thought the weld would go alot more smoothly than it did.

suffice to say, I was somewhat dissapointed by the results, and had to resort to the trick of heating the tubes to orange hot with my gas torches, and then laying on a bead, which gave a good melt under the arc. I made several passes this way, and then worked the resulting welds over with the radius-edge flap disc...but, eh. even cleaned up, these arent' nearly as pleasing to the eye as the join at the bottom of the roll bar main tube. Even though I've successfully joined materials of these thicknesses before, I think the DOM tubing acts as a greater heatsink than plate or sq tube and thus the welds remain cold with poor penetration.

roll bar braces installed.

ground and smoothed upper weld detail.

and, in the interest of full disclosure, the ugly, hideous, bottom blobfest.

not a pretty sight, right?

the lesson here, is, for tubes at this thickness, a more powerful welder is a better method. Of course, that would have meant trucking the frame to my buddy's automotive shop to use his 180 amp welder, and would have added another level of significant hassle to the build. The trick of heating the tubes orange-hot worked pretty well, and I'd likely have gotten better results initially if I'd done that right from the beginning, as opposed to after I'd already laid down a kinda shitty bead.

I have a couple choices here, 1. cut the braces out, grind away the weld remnants and do it over, 2. leave it alone and don't worry about it, since, as this will primarily be a street vehicle the roll bar will mostly be used as a convenient handhold for pushing the thing out of parking spaces, or 3. add some gusseting in the corners and then see number 2.

I'm leaning towards 3, right now.

throughout this build, welding skills have come thru often hard lessons, like this one.

on the upside, it fits around the gas tank just like I planned. There's a good .25 inch clearance between the rear braces and the tank.

PostPosted: October 1, 2012, 2:56 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Keep pushing that button Rob. Anything worth reading is worth reading 4 or 5 times.

One question I had was about your brace onto the fender mount? Is that a good idea?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 1, 2012, 4:25 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
Keep pushing that button Rob. Anything worth reading is worth reading 4 or 5 times.

my first drafts of these essays are always incomplete thoughts initially ;-) "oh wait, I shoulda said that too" um, see what I mean... I'm doing it again. ahrg.

Quote:
One question I had was about your brace onto the fender mount? Is that a good idea?

well, that boss which I welded the bottoms of the braces to does double duty as its both the top rear shock mount, (on the outer smaller diameter with the threads) and the place where the stock VS1400 fender bracket attaches. (the inner .78 OD length I welded to) The stock VS1400 fender bracket somply slips over that .78 boss and then is bolted to the frame at a couple holes on the frame, and then another couple holes on the fender.

So, my thinking was, in looking for something that would be appropriately strong for the roll bar bracing, the shock mounts ( which are nicely triangulated on the VS1400 frame section) were a good candidate. my plan now is to gusset between the tube and the frame above the shock mount as well, to strengthen both the tube attachment and the shock mount itself.

EDIT:

Additionally, if you look at the "blobfest" pic, you can see the bolt holes where the stock fender attaches to the frame nearside and farside. even though I've made a new fender 'Box' above the tire, I'm going to section the old steel fender to block roadspray forward of the rear tire (as it does on teh VS1400). that section of the fender is doubled, having both the fender skin, and a formed brace that's about .090 thick and follows the inner contour of the fender. The fender itself braces the shock mounts in torsion, against the upward movement of the shocks. (the upward movement of the shock pushing on the "lever" of the shock mount and twisting the frame section that the boss is welded to).

in my installation, that torsion is opposed by the roll bar braces.

with all these factors in mind, I think bracing the roll bar to those shock mount/fender strut bosses is sufficiently strong.

PostPosted: October 2, 2012, 10:54 am 

FROM THE ARCHIVES:

The B3 project started in earnest back in august of 2010. Back then, I was cutting tubing with a hacksaw and gas-welding everything together. I was also keeping a sort-of build log on the Intruder Alert message boards (a site dedicated to Suzuki Intruder/Boulevard motorcycles). Sometimes its fun to go back and look at these old posts, remind myself where it came from, back when I thought I'd be done in a year ;-)

From the first month of the build, August 15th, 2010
"Some pics from what i got done this weekend...

Uprights and front and rear top crossbars, outside saturday afternoon...
a few corner weld (done with the torch) close-ups...

complete with top side rails welded in place. it lives in the cellar now, too big to carry up to the attic...sorry for the pic quality, took these with my blackberry after putting everything away this evening.

I may be done welding for a few weeks, as I'm out of tubing, and now I need to measure and cut the side and bottom diagonal braces. Also, the whole gas welding thing is growing old quick. tonight I got a loud pop on one weld, and the frickin thing spit a molten nugget into my shoe. ow. that definitely left a mark ;-/ burnt a hole in my sock. "

I still have that burn scar. Gud Tymez.

PostPosted: October 4, 2012, 11:05 am 

Meanwhile, back at the roll bar...

monday night I cut out some gussets, and last night I got them welded in. It all went rather smoothly.

test fitting the #3 gusset underneath the passenger-side trunk floor.

a bit blurry blackberry pic, but nice beads on the driver's side under-trunk bottom brace gusset.

top gussets.

hey where'd that blob come from? and I was doin' so good *grumble*. Fricken amateur...

lower brace mounts. these were gusseted on both sides, and then boxed. I conducted a bit of an experiment here too. if you look at the bead where the fwd gussets contact the frame, the driver's side has a much smoother melt. on that side, I used the method of preheating the metals to orange-hot. on the passenger side I just did a very slow pass with the gun to get more heat into the joined metals, and improve penetration. The pre-heat method got a much better result.

gusseted and boxed lower passenger side brace mount...

...and driver's side.

with the original steel VS1400 fender section to fit under the fender box, and set in place.

I pronounce this roll bar capable of protecting my noggin.

Can I finally move on to running the electrics? oh, wait, no...

Next, upper front shock mount bracing.

PostPosted: October 10, 2012, 12:57 pm 

In this episode, Front Coil-Over top Mount bracing.

as can be seen in this picture (from back in January, after I'd fabricated the Exhaust header), the top of the front shock attaches to a bracket welded to the top frame tubes - though the bracket is somewhat hidden by the header, in this view.

yes, I know, those welds on the bend in the upper control arm...save those for a later discussion, shall we?

Anyway, I've often thought that I'd like to brace the top shock mount laterally, by fabricating and weldingin a tube that attached directly behind the shock mount, and extended forward and downward to the top of the engine cradle, where it is welded to the top front crossmember (visible behind the bottom steering universal and under the cylinder 1 exhaust port.) Over the last few nights, I've gotten the parts fabricated.

first I doubled/boxed the inner surfaces of the two top side tubes with some .125 thick plates.

drivers side...

...and Passenger side.

I've also been working on my welding technique lately, and I think these plates have some of the best welds I've done on this project. I particularly like this one. Oooooo, Pretty! ;-)

Anyway, then I got on with cutting and mitering the drivers side tube.

first cuts...

...and after an hour of massaging with - alternately - a cutoff tool, hacksaw, and half-round file, voila ici! fitment parfait!

the driver's side tube needs to clear the lower steering universal (porsche 944 part), and an unfinished spare suspension bracket ( seen in the pic above) served nicely in that function..

Then, on to the passenger side. Eyeballed and hand drawn mitering lines on the engine cradle end...

And, this time, only 40 miutes of massaging, a lovely fit.

A front view of both tubes in place, ready for paint cleanup and welding, likely to happen this saturday.

Yes, they're assymetrical. The engine is offset .75 to the passenger side for balance and steering shaft clearance.

Lately, I seem to be in a mode of cleaning up little fabrication/design issues that have been swirling around in the back of my mind, things I've known needed to be done before I can seriously consider making the B-3 run. with that in mind, I think after these brace tubes are welded in, gusseting the upper control arm welds at the bends will be on the plate.

must mean I'm geting close, perhaps? maybe, the mantra of "Three More Months" isn't quite so much of a joke as it had been ;-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 100  Next