LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 4, 2024, 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 650 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: July 3, 2013, 10:07 am 

Late June, 2013

Set to smooth out some of the OEM holes that I no longer need/want.. Random shots of side marker light holes/ taillight holes/ ect.. tried not to work one area for too long to avoid warping the panels..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: July 3, 2013, 10:24 am 

Late June, 2013

I've never liked the rear license plate (which looks huge on this car) living up in the middle of the trunk lid.. I also think the little 'bib' that houses the plate light ruins the body lines- Nothing an angle grinder can't take car of :lol:

The two pics are before and after.. ideally the trunk lid will flow much better once I fill the holes that I've created.. The other shot is just so I can remember the state of the build- been on it for 2.5 years now :shock:

....speaking of time/hours on the project; had an odd thing happen.. My trusty little Chicago Electric (HF) angle grinder gave up the ghost in dramatic fashion... It started to make a screeching noise and at almost the same time shot out a dozen little ball bearings.. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did... another 20 bucks and I'm set with another 2 year warranty- ideally by the time this new grinder wears out my project will be done :wink:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 23, 2013, 10:17 am 

July 2013

Onto the center console.. I'm surprised at how long it's taking to fab this part- it really shouldn't be that hard.. As with all aspects of this build, I'm dealing with very tight tolerances/clearance issues, but I didn't think it would take as much time as it has..

The rear the console is about 5.25" wide, and in the front it's about 8.0".. Originally I was going to make this a removeable item (thinking of easing access to the driveshaft), but I ended up with this more 'permanent' design, which will allow the shaft to come out by removing the yet-to-be-made top cover.. I'm also redoing my e-brake setup, so this tunnel will also house that cable soon.. I'm hoping this console helps quiet the car down a bit- it's interesting how much noise the uncovered spinning shaft(s) bring into the car.

-ccrunner

Last edited by ccrunner on July 23, 2013, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 23, 2013, 10:21 am 

A few more console construction shots..

PostPosted: August 1, 2013, 10:05 am 

July 2013

Lots of fiddley little detail work here and there, but the bulk of time is still being spent on the driveshaft tunnel.. the seats are so tight I had to create the divots/bubbles to fit them (also a bubble into the pass door).. I found an armrest pad (storage lid thingy from the center console) from a mid 90s Toyota van in the wrecking yard, and am retrofitting it onto a fabbed storage box that will go on the rear section of my tranny tunnel.. eventually I'll relocate a few of my switches down into the unit..

PostPosted: August 23, 2013, 4:35 pm 

Last of the Summer 2013 mods..

momentum has inexplicably slowed on the project (maybe it's because it's been over 100 degrees every day for the last 2 months?!!).. Getting a little here and a little there done though..

Had to redo the front seat shoulder belt anchor points so the swapped-in retractable belts would retract better..

Also had to change the anchor point/system for the front seat belts.. this car is so tiny that the front seatbelt spools actually anchor in the side pockets of the rear seat :lol:

PostPosted: August 27, 2013, 5:23 am 

Hello from the UK!

I am currently nearing the end of restoring a Morris Minor Pickup and started looking for alternative engines to replace the crude 150kg cast iron lump it has as standard. I stumbled upon this thread after my dad suggested the VFR800 engine. I'd like to say I am very impressed by both the standard of work and the outcome of the project. The car looks to be a blast to drive. I have now brought a scrap VFR800 engine off of Ebay for mocking up purposes and have started the fun of planning how its going to be mounted, gear ratios and reverse (thinking of using a hydraulic motor and electric or engine powered pump).

The engine should fit within the bay without any modifications and I plan on mounting it and the jack shaft(s) upon a subframe which will take up the original engine and gearbox mounts meaning the car could be put back to standard if desired. The car is rear wheel drive as standard and hopefully the prop and diff will be man enough.

The plan with the car is to get it on the road with its standard engine first. Due to University commitments it may be a year or so before I can get the VRF in the car but I will be following the progress of this project with great interest.

The blue car is the pick-up and the green is a donor car which will be used as a test bed.

Here is a link to the restoration thread for further pictures of the car;
http://morrisminorowners.co.uk/ftopic7524-0-asc-0.php

PostPosted: August 28, 2013, 11:35 am 

It's been fun to watch your progress. I feel your pain, as I too have slowed to a snail's pace due to the summer heat in Orlando. I'm so close to finishing, but have, to an extend, lost my drive. I only have to paint and wire up my lights before getting checked out at the DMV, so I'm hoping my car will be street legal by the end of Sept.

Just keep after it the best you can...cooler temperatures are on the way!

-Gar
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14227&start=255

PostPosted: August 29, 2013, 5:40 pm 

What a cool project!! Love the character/body lines of those fat fenders.. After looking over your build log, I must say, wow, you have lots of talent- far more than I had when I was your age.. and also, wow, I will never again complain about the very minor rust repair I get involved with in my Southwest US projects.. I've been very, very spoiled as others such as you appear to have the patience of a stone!!

Whatever power plant you end up with, great build.. please keep us posted :cheers:

-ccrunner

** as an aside, when you're trying to set that VFR engine down in your engine bay, you might consider cutting off the 'rear' part of the engine where the bike's swing arm originally mounted- you don't need it anymore, and it will allow you to move the engine over a few inches... although now that I type that, it may just end up hurting you in a right hand drive car..... :roll:

vvpickup wrote:
Hello from the UK!

I am currently nearing the end of restoring a Morris Minor Pickup and started looking for alternative engines to replace the crude 150kg cast iron lump it has as standard. I stumbled upon this thread after my dad suggested the VFR800 engine. I'd like to say I am very impressed by both the standard of work and the outcome of the project. The car looks to be a blast to drive. I have now brought a scrap VFR800 engine off of Ebay for mocking up purposes and have started the fun of planning how its going to be mounted, gear ratios and reverse (thinking of using a hydraulic motor and electric or engine powered pump).

The engine should fit within the bay without any modifications and I plan on mounting it and the jack shaft(s) upon a subframe which will take up the original engine and gearbox mounts meaning the car could be put back to standard if desired. The car is rear wheel drive as standard and hopefully the prop and diff will be man enough.

The plan with the car is to get it on the road with its standard engine first. Due to University commitments it may be a year or so before I can get the VRF in the car but I will be following the progress of this project with great interest.

The blue car is the pick-up and the green is a donor car which will be used as a test bed.

Here is a link to the restoration thread for further pictures of the car;
http://morrisminorowners.co.uk/ftopic7524-0-asc-0.php

PostPosted: September 24, 2013, 12:42 pm 

August 2013

More minor modding mayhem :)

In this case, I had to cheat the passenger seat into the passenger door as the driveshaft necessitated it be bumped to the right.. Also had to space 'out' the bottom channel of the passenger window track within the door, but it seems to work fine.. another example of this car's tiny tolerances often coming down to a 1/2" or less..

PostPosted: September 24, 2013, 1:36 pm 

August 2013

So many little things.. In this case I had to dress up the OEM dash area that I butchered when I moved the steering column up and over a bit to center under the VFR cluster.. I decided to use 2 N600 column skirts and butt them up to each other as they already have the Honda's dash contours molded into the plastic.. ultimately the entire front of the dash will be skinned in aluminum, as are these skirts..

PostPosted: September 24, 2013, 2:21 pm 

August 2013

Soon the dash be cleaned up a bit with an aluminum skin that will match the top of the center console- ideally sort of visually tying everything together (eventually!).. In the meantime, after driving the car for awhile now, I've decided to change the e-brake system..

I plumbed in a line lock near the adjustable proportioning valve left of the driver's seat when I fabbed in the brake lines some time ago.. turns out the line lock doesn't really make a positive engagement of the brakes... is it 'on'?? I couldn't really tell with any confidence, so later I'll take it out- just one of those things you do and decide you don't like.. Anyway, I've done some cobbling together of the Miata rear calipers/ rear e-brake cables mating with a late 90's Toyota dash mounted e-brake handle and front cable... I'm very happy with the way it turned out and functions.. after reworking the geometry on the undercar leverage/pivot arm, it has a very positive feel and locks the rears very solidly.. I also now have the benefit/ peace of mind having a mechanical backup in the event of a hydraulic failure (guess I should have gone this route in the first place?!) :cheers:

PostPosted: September 25, 2013, 11:36 am 

September 2013

A few 'make up' shots of earlier work- in this case with the seatbelts (pretty exciting stuff, huh?!).. All of the belts came out of a late 90's Chevy Astro van, and have been cut down in length to better retract (spool tighter).. the rear seat belts are regular old non-retractable lap belts.. Had some trouble getting the front belts to retract cleanly out of the way when not in use, so I reworked the top anchor point a bit to improve the arc/angles the belts had to travel as they spooled back when released.. they work pretty well now..

PostPosted: September 25, 2013, 12:12 pm 

Sept 15, 2013

More tweaking (...and not of the Walter White variety :lol: )...

There was almost no room to shoehorn in the VFR radiators, so to make them fit, something had to give.. in this case, the hood safety latch had to come out as it would not clear where the driver's side radiator had to go.. For the last many months I've been driving around with no safety latch at all, and it finally bit me.. I went out for a quick shakedown to test something or other a few weeks ago, and I forgot that I had not latched the hood.. you know where this went :roll: Like a giant parachute, the hood lifted at about 40 mph and for the 2nd time in my life I had a hood pop open at speed in traffic- weeee! No real damage resulted (I really just got lucky), but it made me get off my lazy butt and move the latch..

PostPosted: September 25, 2013, 12:34 pm 

The lack of sound deadener, wires, and wipers...

On this little car, some 40+ years ago a Japanese assembly line worker slathered on a thick, rich coat of some variation of concrete onto the firewall to act as a sound deadener.. It took me quite a while to get in there and gingerly chip/grind it out so I could get a fresh start.. I then proceeded to make up a batch of my own sound deadener (with microspheres as noted several pages ago) and carefully slather it on myself... I wish I'd never done that, as it resulted in a texture/look that just screamed 'half arsed" job.. so, for the 2nd time, I chipped out the upper firewall sound deadener of my own doing, and went over the area with grey/silver Hammer Finish paint.. I don't think it will win my any trophies at a car show (cause, you know, the rest of the car is oh so perfect), but (other than the tops of the coil barrels which I'm not yet happy with), I'm really pleased with the way it finally turned out- I've been able to tuck/clean up most of the wiring and de-clutter the engine bay.....

**btw- those 2 little holes you can just make out are for the windshield wiper motor.. for now I'm going to put button head bolts in the holes, and if I ever do put the wipers back on (we get 6" of rain here per year), I'll put the ugly wiper motor back in where it goes...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 650 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 44  Next