LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: December 13, 2012, 2:51 am 

I've been playing on here for the last year since I decided to sell my e30 and build a full track car. I had planned on swapping an ls1 into the e30, but after planning it all out decided that traction and control would be sub-optimal. So then I decided that a lotus 7 would work well. I was going to stick with the LS motors, but soon decided that I might end up dead quickly with that much torque.
so went back to engines that I know...the ejs. Decided I could get better weight transfer and save weight by doing a midi.

+ means I have it
Drivetrain:
+ej22t closed deck block, heavier, but pretty bulletproof, especially with my modest goals
+ej205 heads (s20) with all the bits (i have a UTEC system for the ECU to run these and can tune them well)
need to get a impreza 06-07 intake manifold (deletes TGVs and flows better)
tO4e super 50 turbo

+5MT from a 01 forester (need front spool and to make a back plate for fwd conversion)
*make or buy pook's shifter mechinism...already have mr2 shifter

Suspension:
front will be Grand am aluminum spindles and 5x114.3 hubs, have to decide between the stock brakes or the camaro calipers
rear will be fabbed spindles from 2x3 steel, use sti rear hubs (27 splines 5x114.3) that bolt on. Use rear calipers from a cobalt (have integrated parking brake.
-I want to use wrx stock front axles, so that when I break them, I can replace them from a local parts store. they use 27splines at the hub side. I also want to use 5x114 all around. Hense all the work to get these to work.

Body/Frame:
planning something similar to car9 midi, and I've designed it on Sketchup, but cannot figure out how to post an image of it. The passenger compartment is a full roll cage of 1.5" x 0.95 DOM. Rear hoop, halo, and two front bars that run up the A pillars to the halo.
I cut the windshield frame and convertible top from a MR2 in the junkyard. I didn't want to mess with fabbing all of that and my wife will not ride in a car that can't put up the top and seal well. Plus I can get replacement glass easily.
I'll work on the body panels later, but am aiming for something ala mk1, but with more rear space for the whole engine/tranny.

I'll try and pictures of my sketchup put up tomorrow. Maybe even my build table.

PostPosted: December 13, 2012, 8:47 am 
The voice of reason

First :cheers: .

I post pictures of my SKetchUp work by taking screen shots. Are you working on Apple or Windows?

PostPosted: December 13, 2012, 11:56 am 
Toyotaphobe

What are those GrandAm aluminum spindles?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: December 13, 2012, 6:43 pm 

Not some cool grandam racing part...the pontiac grand am...not one of my favorite vehicles of all time, but I think it's what i need.

Borrowed pics:

Was going to try and swing by the junkyard tonight, but I have the weekend off, so might just go take my time Saturday (plus I want opinions if I'm doing something stupid)

PostPosted: December 13, 2012, 7:05 pm 

Engine being freed from a junkyard in Colorado Springs. One of the most beautiful backdrops...Pikes Peak

Rental vehicle for the 360 mile trip. Felt like a soccer mom mombster lining the trunk with plastic. Take the canolli, leave the gun?

After I got a sawzall from the pawn store

PostPosted: December 13, 2012, 7:46 pm 

Played with the cage a bit today. Also still have not attached the front suspension. I'm not sure what type of foot protection I need from the suspension. I'm also not sure what are the pros and cons of different A-arm structure/angles. If they are wider where they attach to the frame, is that inherently more stable?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 13, 2012, 9:52 pm 
Toyotaphobe

So you know how the GrandAm upright compares to the Solstice, which is also aluminum.

And do you mean the old school GrandAm or something newer?

I spent many an hour in the old one.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: December 14, 2012, 12:15 am 

99+ grand am

The solstice is 5x110 correct? Is there a way to convert to 114.3. The parts for the grand am are also dirt cheap. More than happy to accept any opinions!

PostPosted: December 14, 2012, 11:38 am 
Toyotaphobe

Nick1224 wrote:
99+ grand am

The solstice is 5x110 correct? Is there a way to convert to 114.3. The parts for the grand am are also dirt cheap. More than happy to accept any opinions!

I don't know the difference in geometry between the 2, but I have seen several people using the Solstice uprights and cast aluminum arms.

If they are more common and cheaper then that's 2 good reasons to look that direction.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: December 15, 2012, 6:10 pm 

They had the grand am and camaro parts at the junkyard. Got spindles and hubs off a 2005 GA, and brake calipers and brackets off a 99 camaro. They bolt up well. The GA calipers looked nice, lighter, but only one piston. So probably tacked on some wright, but much bigger brakes with more aftermarket support. I could always grab GA brakes later...probably like 20 of them in the JY.

PostPosted: December 15, 2012, 8:52 pm 
Toyotaphobe

That's all good to know. I would have never looked at the GA in a million years.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: December 16, 2012, 4:50 am 

I know, I only thought of it after searching for bolt on hubs that were 5x114.3. After looking at the other gm spindles while at the JY, they looked relatively compact with decent geometry.

Turbos: Was originally going to do a to4e super 50, but after reading some more found out they're old technology and down respond well compared to newer stuff. I have a holset hx35 on the shelf, but that would take a while to get rolling. After playing with compressor maps, the td05hr-16g from the evo looks great. And the bigger turbine side should let it roll on smoothly.

bought a whole OEM setup on ebay with 54k miles. That was the end of the funds for the month. Should be fun though!

PostPosted: December 30, 2012, 5:39 pm 

Well, my design called for a rack that almost exactly matches the miata, so doen to the junkyard I went. Got the rack and steering column for $50. Saw a 2nd gen MR2 and grabbed the shifter (as a backup) and the coolant pipes to run the length of the car. The gas tank looks perfect and would work well in the "transmission hump" ....however the JY just punches holes in them....even when there is a plug right next to the hole they punched through. Not really sure if I want a patched tank on a track vehicle.

I was cleaning up parts, but got delayed due to this showing up:

Augustin "Augie" Cutrufello

He already watched a DTM race with me this AM.

PostPosted: December 30, 2012, 7:57 pm 
Toyotaphobe

You got me all excited there.

When I began to read your post on racks I could see a portion of your wife's hair and face. I just knew this was going to end up with you showing us her "rack", but then I'm a perv.

Congrats on the kiddo.

You'll either not have any time to work on the car for a couple of years OR the car will be your excuse to get out of the house for some peace & quiet. Unfortunately you won't get that for 20-25 more years.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: December 31, 2012, 2:27 am 

Yup, I'm thinking he'll be able to weld in a couple months, so there should be no problems with him hanging out in the garage. :mrgreen:

And no "rack" pics.....all photos are wife approved for facebook :wink:

So while sitting in the hospital today, I got some research done and I think the 350z rear spindle might work well. It uses 27s pline 5x114.3 bolt on hubs, aluminum spindles, seperate attachment for the shock, and has good attachment points for an upper and lower control arm. The good thing is the used these on a bunch of nissan/infinitis.

I just cannot figure out if the subaru axle major and minor dimensions match the hub.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next