LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: February 3, 2014, 5:15 pm 

seven13bt wrote:
You cleaned up for 12 hours and still couldn't find the cap to one of the sharpie pens.

I keep all the tops from dried-out sharpies in a box so a top is always available. Now I can't find the d^mned box :BH:

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: February 8, 2014, 9:49 am 
We are Slotus!

This conversation reminds me of why we call 'em "Hide-A-Sharpies" at Team Slotus. Those damn things change colors and shape-shift better than the blue scaly lookin' chick in X-Men!!!

Oh, and nice clean-up on the garage, Justin. How long did it stay that way? :mrgreen:
:cheers:

PostPosted: February 8, 2014, 1:35 pm 

the top picture is "still life" by vangough, the bottom is "serealism" by salveior dali.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: February 8, 2014, 4:47 pm 

I call the first picture: "Through SWEETA's eyes"
I call the second picture: "Through my eyes"

Although I found it to be a fine organizational system before, it was becoming strangely difficult to find space to work. The downside of the new system being that I used to know approximately where everything was most of the time, and now I can't remember where I put half of it. SWEETA just tells me to look "where it belongs" when I can't find something...Which rarely ends up being where I'm actually looking. I suspect it won't be long until entropy has it's way with my workspace again, and with it, bringing balance to the force.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: February 10, 2014, 3:07 am 

With the mill-scale scourge defeated, I'm almost ready to actually be productive again. I have but one mental block to break through before welding up the remaining two sections of cut chassis tubes. The amount of time it took to produce the second identical set of, now welded together, tubes was a mere fraction of the amount of time it took to produce this first set that I'm now finally preparing to weld together.

As my skills grow through the process of building this chassis, so too will the quality of my workmanship. I am confident that my fabrication of this chassis will be more than adequate for safely cruising around town or hitting the local autox. But I do also want to take this car to the race track, and I'm not yet sure of my confidence level in this same fabrication when traveling at speeds well into triple digit speeds...But I need to find a way to keep moving forward if I ever want to get this car on the road.

I also know that as much as I'd like to make it look like I can design everything perfectly on the first try as I go along, I know that I will have to make changes to previously 'completed' work, as well as there will be things I wish I had done a bit (or a lot) differently when seen in hindsight.

So to assuage my fears and bring me the inner peace I need to proceed, I am making templates of every tube. These will allow me to build a second chassis with relatively minimal effort, if at any point in the future I see fit to do so.

It's actually a quick and easy process, the hardest part of which was finding a suitably sized and priced material. I happened across 5/8 vinyl J-channel for cheap at my local hardware store.

Attachment:
2014-02-08 Vinyl J Channel Sized.jpg

Using a utility knife, score down the full length of the inside corner on the shorter side. Fold the short side "open" to lay flat with the base, which will cause the vinyl to fracture along the scored line. Then peel the short side off leaving a vinyl L-channel.

Attachment:
2014-02-08 Vinyl L Channel Sized.jpg

Orient the tube into the L-channel as necessary, use a sharpie to mark the tube end profiles, and cut with a tin snip to match. Lay it back over the tube to verify the angles and lengths are correct.

Attachment:
2014-02-08 Vinyl Pattern 01 Sized.jpg

And before you know it, you've got a whole family of templates.

Attachment:
2014-02-09 Vinyl Pattern 02 Sized.jpg

Note that some are simply numbered, while others have “A” and/or “B” associated with the number. As usual, there is a method to the madness. Due to my band saw only being able to make angles in one direction up to a 45 degree angle, numerous tubes needed templates that either oriented a specific way or needed one template for each side. It takes a bit of thought to get them all sorted out the right way, but apparently is nothing that the average idiot who thinks he can actually build a car from scratch in his own garage couldn’t figure out on the third or fourth try.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 11, 2014, 8:09 am 

Justin, that's a pretty slick method of template-ing the tube end cuts.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: February 16, 2014, 3:31 pm 

Mental note: Industrial Sharpie is almost as tough as mill scale. Acetone barely fades it. Stick with Original Sharpie for marking welds on Steel.

PostPosted: February 17, 2014, 12:25 am 

Driven5 wrote:
Mental note: Industrial Sharpie is almost as tough as mill scale. Acetone barely fades it. Stick with Original Sharpie for marking welds on Steel.

Justin, remove sharpie with isopropyl alcohol. At work, we torque-stripe bolts to verify at inspection, and if we have to retorque and restripe, we clean it with isopropyl alky. Comes right off.

PostPosted: February 17, 2014, 4:52 am 

robbovius wrote:
Justin, remove sharpie with isopropyl alcohol.
I'm sorry to report that it hardly tickles the Industrial Sharpies.

PostPosted: February 17, 2014, 12:33 pm 

Driven5 wrote:
robbovius wrote:
Justin, remove sharpie with isopropyl alcohol.
I'm sorry to report that it hardly tickles the Industrial Sharpies.

damn, that stinks. I tried.

PostPosted: February 17, 2014, 2:14 pm 

It just means my wire wheel gets a little extra workout...Thanks for the idea though.

Well, I guess that answers the question: "Why wouldn't I buy and use the Industrial Sharpies, when they're the same price as the Original Sharpies?" :BH:

Last edited by Driven5 on February 17, 2014, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 17, 2014, 6:09 pm 

Never even heard of 'industrial' Sharpies. Where do you get those?

PostPosted: February 18, 2014, 2:00 am 

I found mine at the local friendly neighborhood corner multi-national congolmerate hardware store...For those times that you want to take "permanent" more seriously.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 18, 2014, 8:07 am 

hmm, file under "Don't be that guy"?

PostPosted: February 19, 2014, 8:29 am 

Next question, does it retard rust?

Bill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next