LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Delete Post
PostPosted: April 1, 2013, 11:18 pm 

ttt

Last edited by maccos on November 29, 2016, 7:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: April 2, 2013, 8:28 am 

Wow what a nice build. At the rate you are going it may take less that two years. Keep up the good work. Russ

PostPosted: April 2, 2013, 10:43 am 

nice! :cheers:

Questions...
Are the upper tubes double radii?? 2"?
How much to get everything lazer cut?
Solidworks?
what radiator are you going with?
Pushrod suspension?

The only input i have is maybe addressing the At-om's scary roll bar and your front and rear fenders might need to be a bit longer so that you don't get pummeled by road doo doo.

Man i need a recliner in my garage, but then again that means my wife cant park in the garage and that will result in my sleep out there!

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: April 2, 2013, 12:33 pm 

It looks like you are off to a good start.

Ummmm 1)roll bar will not meet any sanctioned body's requirements. It would be a shame to be turned around on your first track day; (oops I see you plan on a separate roll bar, nevermind) 2) those fenders do neet meet any state's requirements 15 deg forward and 90 deg rearwardd for a minimum of 105 deg coverage; 3) That fiberglass nose looks a) dangerous and b) very breakable.

You didn't say whether this is for street or for track.

With a 2.4 hour RT to your workspace, I think finding time to work on it will become more and more difficult as the build goes on. Most builders suggest getting out at least 10-15 minutes a day to stay on schedule. I hope you get it done it your 2 year schedule.

Keep us up to date

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 2, 2013, 12:49 pm 

Hey Scott.. Welcome! what an outstanding start you're off to...

I have a question about your engine.. I'm looking into that exact motor (LNF) for my next project a year or two from now- big numbers out of a small package.. I've had a hard time finding info about how to overcome the wiring harness for a full transplant.. are you going the stand-alone route? Donor car harness cut down? Any info/insight/links would be appreciated- I'm not too good with the electrical system :( , so I'm on the lookout for builds such as yours and how you handle it..

thanks- and keep us posted!

-ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: April 2, 2013, 9:01 pm 

Looks great Scott!!

Glad you started your build log.

Devin

PostPosted: April 2, 2013, 10:23 pm 

ttt

Last edited by maccos on November 29, 2016, 7:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: April 3, 2013, 12:50 am 
Toyotaphobe

I don't know if you saw the recent thread on the wrecked At-om, but please give yourself some floor reinforcement. The front and back stayed intact, but the passenger compartment folded upwards.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 3, 2013, 2:42 am 

Put 2 roll bars on it, that is all.

PostPosted: April 3, 2013, 8:11 am 

maccos wrote:
Thanks for the generous comments!

Mjalay- yes upper tubes are double radii 2.25" OD (yea had to find the most rare size), about $1300 to have 80 tubes laser cut that is about $600 of material included if I recall, should be cheaper if I ever make a 2nd order, but definitely worth the price (I should say this is not a locost build in the least). Took awhile to find a good price, some people were quoting $4500, so it pays to shop around. Yes using SolidWorks, radiator will be made from Saldana Racing Products I believe they also make the At-om radiator. Yes front is pushrod, somewhat similar to the D2 that Dennis P uses in the D2 car and others. Rears just lent themselves to non-pushrod in my application. Yes rollbar is not designed yet, will be a bolt-on part.

Rx7locost- I didnt mention, this is going to be mostly a road-going car. I am not necessarily planning on meeting any track regulations. I believe the fenders, as is, do meet WI state requirements (15 deg front and 60 deg rearward), that being said I dont think I will aim for minimum. Nose cone and styling parts are still up in the air.

CCrunner-I am kind of in the same boat as you. I have the engine harness, ECU and all the engine sensors of course. From what I have learned so far, Vince from Trifectaperformance.com is a good source for tapping into the GM ECU's and allowing it to run the engine and bypassing all of the theft deterrent devices which also means that a body control module or harness would not need to be integrated. If you search for a guy by the name of Chuckitt (in any cobalt ss forums), he has some LNF motors on airboats using Vince's services(Chuck is also open to making a custom harness the last I spoke with him). Little bit different application, but looks promising. Also there is a company called CBM motorsports which can also make an LNF standalone harness, which some guy had done to a off-road buggy he built (although I dont know much about that build), also can be found on the cobalt ss forums. Vince can tune the engine via email to account for the differences in airflows the engine will see, so that is my primary path for now, unless I learn something new.

Devin- thanks for pushing me to start a log, was long overdue.

that's who i am getting my radiator from as well. Keith there is a good man
I am using Soldiworks too so let me know if you need any parts or body work to play around with

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: April 3, 2013, 10:40 am 

CCrunner-I am kind of in the same boat as you. I have the engine harness, ECU and all the engine sensors of course. From what I have learned so far, Vince from Trifectaperformance.com is a good source for tapping into the GM ECU's and allowing it to run the engine and bypassing all of the theft deterrent devices which also means that a body control module or harness would not need to be integrated. If you search for a guy by the name of Chuckitt (in any cobalt ss forums), he has some LNF motors on airboats using Vince's services(Chuck is also open to making a custom harness the last I spoke with him). Little bit different application, but looks promising. Also there is a company called CBM motorsports which can also make an LNF standalone harness, which some guy had done to a off-road buggy he built (although I dont know much about that build), also can be found on the cobalt ss forums. Vince can tune the engine via email to account for the differences in airflows the engine will see, so that is my primary path for now, unless I learn something new.

====================

Thanks for the info Scott- very helpful :cheers:

-ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: April 3, 2013, 10:38 pm 

ttt

Last edited by maccos on November 29, 2016, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 3, 2013, 10:46 pm 
Toyotaphobe

maccos wrote:
mjalay- thanks for the offer, I'll let you know if I want to play around with the bodywork. I was browsing your build, very impressive bodywork design! I see we are using the same steering rack and the same seats, small world.

carguy123- link for the crash picture? I think we all know we are taking a risk with our builds, they are not the safest vehicles, but yes I agree, anything to help the situation is a good thing. I have designed the "center console" to be a structural member that, in theory, will "help" to keep the middle section from collapsing. I am also considering an aluminum floor.

Here's a thread on the UK Locost forum. It begins by talking about a titanium At-om and then goes into some details of the crash and includes pics.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthr ... tid=179752

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 1:07 pm 

Great build, I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. I've sent you a PM regarding your pre-cut tubes. LMK, thanks!

PostPosted: April 28, 2013, 4:23 pm 

ttt

Last edited by maccos on November 29, 2016, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next