LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 16, 2013, 12:57 pm 

Hi All...new guy here,
I just acquired a chassis and am starting my design on a mid engine autocross/track vehicle. Formula Vee peaked my interest except I want to learn how to test and tune on FI and a turbo. Attached are pictures of my chassis (Starting Point). So far this is my design concept and will always be a design in progress :D

1) see chassis
Attachment:
20130911_185320.jpg

2) Subaru JDM engine and tranny (2.0L DOHC single or twin turbo)
3) Subaru 4X2 Conversion Kit (hxxp://www.bremarauto.com/products/suba ... rsion-kit/)
4) Subaru cable shifter (hxxp://www.cableshift.com/Subaru/subaru%20page.html)
5) megasquirt ECU
6) Disc brakes all around / Front end design ??
7) Lowered
8) Zero roll suspension
Attachment:
20130911_185320.jpg

This is my start on a long term project (Single dad = low budget) any advice or ideas greatly appreciated.This is my start point, the fun is getting their.

Jeff in Ontario

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 17, 2013, 8:26 am 

Bump...

Is there better/cheaper options for an engine/tranny combo? I can get a JDM combo for under $1500.00. With a subaru I will have to add the kit $440.00 and shifter linkage for about $500.00.

That puts me at $2,500.00

Is this best spot to post my build ??

Thanks ALL

PostPosted: October 18, 2013, 12:06 am 

If you'd like to do a log, the "Non-Traditional Builds Log" sub-forum would be the best place.

PostPosted: October 18, 2013, 1:23 pm 

Hmm what Subaru engine trans combo are you looking at for $1500?

I built my own shift linkage for a lot less than $500. I used a MR2 shifter and a couple of cables.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJZiZfE_IoE

PostPosted: October 18, 2013, 2:50 pm 

thebionicman wrote:
Hmm what Subaru engine trans combo are you looking at for $1500? Several JDM dealers around Toronto and Montreal. When I have the cash in hand I will start a comparison and try to get best value for my dollar. I'd love to get a front clip or even a entire car from Japan. That would give me a lot of parts to work with but the project would sit idle for a long time until funds where saved.

I built my own shift linkage for a lot less than $500. I used a MR2 shifter and a couple of cables.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJZiZfE_IoE

When I get to that point I will definitely look at your option...

PostPosted: October 19, 2013, 2:27 am 

Get what you have going and have fun rather than a project that potentially will end up in a corner half finished?

PostPosted: October 28, 2013, 1:40 am 

love the idea im thinking of starting with a rail buggy for my next build, I was thinking subi also but decided busa powered fit me better. im interested in where this is going. keep it up!!!

PostPosted: October 31, 2013, 11:49 am 

erioshi wrote:
If you'd like to do a log, the "Non-Traditional Builds Log" sub-forum would be the best place.

I second this. get one of the Mods to move this to the Non-Traditional build log forum...and then post a ton of pix. ;-)

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: October 31, 2013, 2:49 pm 

Will do guys,
I will post more pictures and start a build thread.

Moderators can close this thread.

PostPosted: November 1, 2013, 8:11 am 

maybe use a cheaper fwd platform? srt4, mr2 turbo, even an sr20 from a sentra or something. scoobaru stuff isnt cheap.

PostPosted: November 2, 2013, 11:03 am 
Always Moore!

Moved to the build log section. :)

PostPosted: November 2, 2013, 3:16 pm 

jaxmadine wrote:
maybe use a cheaper fwd platform? srt4, mr2 turbo, even an sr20 from a sentra or something. scoobaru stuff isnt cheap.
\

Cheaper is always what I am looking :D . Will do some more homework on these options. I am also trying to find someone who will purchase a salvage at auction for me with out costing an arm and leg. I am in eastern Ontario...any advice?

My concerns with other platforms are; shifters, converting to 2 wheel only, fitting into my existing chassis. I still want to go the megasquirt route for fun and learning. The blue tooth to tablet is ideal for my application I think.

time to read some more...thank god I have a friend in google :)

PostPosted: November 2, 2013, 3:19 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

"Cheap" means using a FWD drivetrain as-is, one old enough to be practically free, while at the same time not requiring a rebuild.

PostPosted: November 2, 2013, 4:03 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

After it is driveable with some nice empi 5 lug street wheels, tires, and a pertronix, it would be a lot easier and cheaper just to turbo and efi the aircooled vw motor and upgrade the swingaxle to irs and the king pin to balljoint along with discs all around if you wish.

You could cut the king pin lower tube for an adjuster for now, then cut the beam out later on and bolt-in a balljoint beam.

An 80s rx7 turbo rotary adapted to a vw bus transaxle would be a nice combo for track use.

Is this to be dragged to the track or street driven with a reasonably low highway cruising rpm?

Samba is an excellent source of information on vws:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212747

If you really want subie power numbers and be able to put them down on a circuit, you might as well start from scratch and sell this to someone who likes old school vws (like me).

PostPosted: November 4, 2013, 12:41 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
After it is driveable with some nice empi 5 lug street wheels, tires, and a pertronix, it would be a lot easier and cheaper just to turbo and efi the aircooled vw motor and upgrade the swingaxle to irs and the king pin to balljoint along with discs all around if you wish. I thought long and hard about this route

You could cut the king pin lower tube for an adjuster for now, then cut the beam out later on and bolt-in a balljoint beam.
I hope to get it working with the existing front end and thenupgrade over a winter as a project
An 80s rx7 turbo rotary adapted to a vw bus transaxle would be a nice combo for track use.

Is this to be dragged to the track or street driven with a reasonably low highway cruising rpm?
I live about a mile from a track/drag strip , I hope to play on both. Not super competitive. Just fun :) It will never see the road
Samba is an excellent source of information on vws:
Read on Samba all the time as this is my second VW project
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212747

If you really want subie power numbers and be able to put them down on a circuit, you might as well start from scratch and sell this to someone who likes old school vws (like me).
Ya , I dought I will ever be able to put the 200hp + down on the track but I will be able to say "hey I built that"