LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: November 19, 2013, 8:44 am 

Thanks for starting this thread! It will be interesting to watch you step through all the bits & pieces of your Europa rebuild. This definitely provides motivation for my own Europa project.

Also congratulations on finding a type 54. I was searching for one, but ended up with type 65 when it was offered to me - a 100% complete car in decent shape at a price that was just too good to pass up.

PostPosted: November 19, 2013, 6:21 pm 

I spent Sunday of the past weekend investigating the gearbox that I picked up with the car. It turned out to be an NG3 from a US/Canadian market Renault Fuego, which as bad as that sounds is a good thing. The gearboxes are known to handle up to 200hp. But, the shift levers wouldn't budge, so off came the rear cover and bellhousing to have a quick look and I found some water in the gear oil. Fingers crossed I can save the gearbox with new bearings, but that will have to wait until i split open the main gearbox casing. Here are two pics of the 'box with the old and new bellhousings (new being the Lotus Twin Cam bellhousing so it can bolt up to a Zetec which I'm hoping to have in my hands by next weekend).

PostPosted: November 26, 2013, 4:03 pm 

I spent this past weekend dissecting the Renault gearbox, and found that the 1st motion shaft (input) has a rust pitted 3rd gear, and the syncro hub for 5th is in rough shape. So, I'm now in the market for another gearbox, luckily it think I've found one in Portland. I just have to sort out how to get it up to Vancouver (the one north of the 49th).

Here are some shots of a French gearbox in bits:

The shift forks were seized into the casing and required some persuasion to allow them to free up, it wasn't a pleasant experience for me.

In other news, I've nearly sorted out the chassis. The bulk of it will be made from 1 1/2" x 1" RHS with the rear "bulkhead" section in 2" x 1" RHS. And I think I'm going to go with the VW hub components, I'm not too sure that the Austin Mini bits will be able to cope with the power/tire size that I want to go with (nothing wild, just larger diameter and wider than the stock 10" rims on the Mini).

Here's a shot of the chassis concept:

There are a couple tubes not shown yet, but it gives a good idea of what I'll be building.

PostPosted: November 26, 2013, 10:03 pm 

Your design is very similar to a "Spyder" chassis. http://www.spydercars.co.uk/lotus-europ ... is-wheels/

JMR

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: November 26, 2013, 10:24 pm 

JMR,
Yup, thats the plan, copy the Spyder chassis but lop off the back end and make it more like the Lotus 47. Banks Europa does a similar frame too, but both the Spder and Banks frames cost more than what I want to pay. I'm certain I can fab my own frame for a fraction of what either frame would end up costing to get one shipped to BC.

Rod

PostPosted: November 27, 2013, 10:48 am 

Just a thought about the Europa chassis. It has always bothered me a bit that there is absolutely no side impact protection in the Europa. The 1/8 inch thick fiberglass does little when impacted and if you really think about it...try not to think too much or you will never drive it...your body is sort of a flesh colored airbag protecting your chassis in a side impact. I wonder if that is what Colin had in mind.
I have thought about getting another Europa and doing what you are up to, but every plan I have includes getting some steel out to the sides and including some sort of roll-over protection. It would also be nice to have the seats attached to metal...just sayin'
Anyway, I love my Europa as is but I actually feel a bit safer in my Seven, and I think that is really saying something.
That poor trans is very sad on the inside.
I will enjoy your progress from afar.
Paul
Europa 4525R

oh yeah. check out my friend's "Europa" http://www.fortinimillwork.com/car.htm

PostPosted: November 27, 2013, 11:38 am 

Paul,
I completely understand where you're coming from. I had an Elan +2 when i was 21, and the same thoughts kept going through my mind (even though the +2 has steel members in the rocker panels). The hard bit would be hiding the steel in the Europa tub. I've been thinking about how to incorporate a steel structure in the body and have it bolt to plates welded to the backbone. Once i get the chassis mostly built, I'll drop the body on it and see if there is any elegant way to put some tubes around the cockpit without being too noticeable.

And, yes, I've seen your friends "Europa/type 62" build. Its quite a machine.

Rod

PostPosted: November 27, 2013, 5:29 pm 

In my Elise I think of the same thing. Any truck or suv if I would ever impact them from the rear the first impact point is the windshield assembly which Lotus calls composite (I call fiberglass) that is glued onto the tub. I figure if that type of impact happens at least my head will cushion the factory roll structure behind me. :BH: Since a lot of my driving is on go and then slam on your brakes quickly east coast highways it is always on the back of my mind.

My advise is to keep it in the back of you mind as it will make you a more defensive driver but not let ruin the enjoyments of driving such wonderful machines.

ND Club Miata
Nissan Titan Sold
Rubi Wrangler
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13200

PostPosted: March 9, 2014, 11:03 pm 

Its a been while since I looked at the project, but since returning from vacation I've started sourcing bits and pieces. So, last weekend I picked up a Zetec blacktop and today I bolted the gearbox to the bellhousing, and the bellhousing to the Zetec. Its kind of cool to bolt a motor from 2001 to a bellhousing from 1973, and a gearbox from 1984. Next weekend I'll be picking up some steel and will be starting on the chassis. Anyways, here are some pics of the motor/gearbox combo:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 26, 2014, 1:51 pm 

I spent last weekend building the centre section of the backbone chassis for the Europa. I had wanted to tackle the front cross member, but my metal supplier make a mistake on the tube size. So, hopefully on Friday I'll have the front done, and most of the rear completed. Then it will be time to start on the front wishbones and finalize the rear upright design.

PostPosted: March 26, 2014, 3:53 pm 

I, like it! Well done. :cheers:

PostPosted: March 31, 2014, 10:09 am 

Got a bit more done on the weekend. Hopefully next weekend I'll get the three sub assemblies welded together. Then Its on to fabricating the suspension pieces.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 31, 2014, 10:28 am 

Hey wait, is that a rack of motorcycle carbs on that Zetec?

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: March 31, 2014, 10:39 am 

Yup, though I haven't started on a manifold yet. There are a number of Zetec's in the UK running bike carbs, so I've decided to follow suit.

PostPosted: March 31, 2014, 12:23 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Will there be diagonals in the engine sidebays? If not that, paneling? Engine torque will try hard to twist that section.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next