LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 19, 2019, 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 27, 2013, 10:34 pm 

Get job on the miata build, the car is looking great. I love all the info you are providing on aero. Congratulations on all the success everyone likes to win trophies.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: November 29, 2013, 3:55 am 

Moti, great to see you posting back here again. Congratulations on your successes!

PostPosted: November 29, 2013, 12:15 pm 

I have to ad my voice to the chorus of Good Job! thats a neat little race car ;-)

The Jag Special Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012

PostPosted: December 10, 2013, 4:35 am 
Weight watcher

Thanks again, gents!

Forgot to update this with all the rest of the story and bring it up to date.
Following the weekend in ACS where I tried the Moby Dick for the first time, we had an event at Buttonwillow, this time driving CCW so it's basically a different track.
Excuse me for just copying and pasting the post I made about this weekend on another forum, it summed up the weekend and the action pretty well.

Going into this last weekend's event at Buttonwillow, I wanted to give the long tail a shot with the wing.
Made the cuts for the uprights (scary moments..) and put it all together, the car now looks like something from the can-am era -

Everyone that appreciates the following pics should buy Erik Bruner a beer next time you see him, thanks for the awesome shots, man!

This ended being an epic weekend.
Seriously.

Had a terrible start of the day on Saturday with my battery deciding it's not going to charge anymore, which ended up costing me the entire 2nd session of the morning, normally the fastest one for the Miata Challenge.
Managed a time at the next session that was good enough for third place in the MC behind Alex that won Super Mod and received a $100 Blackbird Fabworx gift certificate for doing just that (congrats!) and Emilio that finished second.

That also ended up being that my grid position for the coming SuperMiata 30 minute sprint race that came up next.
Got a rocket start and zoomed by Emilio (in Crusher, the Orange car) and Alex (Enzo, the Red one) to take Sunrise first and proceeded to lead the race for the next 3 laps or so.
Erik said it looked like an "Alonso start" :D

Couldn't keep Alex behind me and had him passing me going into Riverside and than worked really hard to keep Emilio behind for the next 2 laps.

Got a little sideways going into Cotton corners, Emilio thought I was ready to chuck it off the track so he stuck his nose in but I managed to save it, giving Emilio a grade 8 "oh $hit" moment as he stood on the brakes, this ended in a little tap between his RF corner and my LR wheel, re-aligning the toe.
He kept behind me until we got the Buttonhook and then my new alignment presented itself in a wonderful spin (Vanhap photo) -

E got past and we had enough gap from the next group that I was still third, though not for long.
While the car really wanted to turn left now it did not want to turn right, so right after I spun it in Buttonhook I drove it off at Sunrise into the front straight.. Ended up Letting William, Sonny and Ed past me, dropping to P6 -

Realizing the car is not the same now after having some seriously exciting 30 seconds, I took the next 2 laps easy to re-learn the car and went back to work.
Drove like a madman for the next few laps to catch up with Ed and Sonny, got by Ed with a lap and a half to go and took the White flag with about half the straightway gap from Sonny.
Kept pushing hoping that something will happen, and it did.
As I'm making my way towards Phil hill, I see a yellow flag, Sonny must've spun it, yes!
He did, I squeezed by him going into Riverside and thought to myself that all I have to do is cruise it home with no mistakes.
A missed shift right after bus stop and I got myself a race!
It was soooooo hard to keep Sonny behind on well-done tires... came out of Sunrise completely sideways and barely ahead of Sonny who jumped to my side and drag raced to the finish.
Got him by maybe 3-4 feet to take P4 -

PHEW.

First two sessions on Sunday morning I gave Sean (Lincoln Logs) and a Miata driver named Tammy rides in Creampuff, and then we got down to business with the split races, running inverted grid from yesterday on the first one and inverting again for the second one which we decided to do a standing start, yes!

I got a bad start for the first race and just couldn't find the groove for a while.
Dropped from P4 at the start to P6 and stayed there until the end.
This put me in P2 for the standing start with Granturismo in P1.

P1 couldn't find the tape line on pit wall that we decided to use as the P1 position marker (note: next time we should just tape a cone to the wall), so I made the terrible mistake of opening my visor to shout to him where the tape line is.
Seconds before the Green flag dropped and I shut my visor back down, got a rocket start again and went straight to the lead but before we even hit Sunset my visor got so fogged up I could barely even see the track.
Unable to see my mirrors and hardly even seeing the braking zone I went for a wide line to avoid getting collected by anyone and by the time I could see again I dropped down to P4.
William ran in P3 and had just enough in his tires to keep me behind for 3 laps, then I got a slightly better run on him going into the front straight to take the White flag.
Managed to outbrake him into Sunset, park him on the outside and immediately pulled a good F1 style blocking move on Aaron who was ready to capitalize on both of us as we parked.
Aaron got by William, I pulled off the block well enough to keep him behind and cruised it home for P3.
YES!
Video of the race -

So much action and hot battles in 2 days.

Our next event at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Pahrump, NV.
First time for me at the track and man it is awesome!
The front straight is pretty short and leads to two turns that you can use every bit downforce that your car makes, exit to a long uphill straight that killed me and move into the technical section.
Lot of quick transitions and elevation changes which lead you into another short straight, at the end of which was my worst corner - a very slow right hander that leads into the longest straight.
This is a the worst layout feature for a momentum car that relies on aero grip as the slow corner kills every bit of momentum and the aero grip is worthless when it's so slow, and then of course it's going into the longest straight, costing whole seconds of lap time which the car just can not make up.

But, it is a fun track.
T1 and T2 are awesome in an aero car and the technical section tickles all the right spots.
So with no real high speeds and a number of technical sections the long tail went off and the front wing went back on.

Add beer and a good track side BBQ at night, this is a damn good event :cheers:

Took home third place after this one.

One more event to cover and the season finale which is coming up this weekend.

Moti

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

PostPosted: December 11, 2013, 8:10 am 

Great job and thanks for the update it looks like you are having a blast.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: December 17, 2013, 6:33 pm 
Weight watcher

More on the remainder of the season later, but for now I'll just leave this here :)

PostPosted: December 17, 2013, 10:39 pm 
Always Moore!

Great looking project Moti and nice fab work (as usual).

Do you think the long tail made a significant difference?

PostPosted: December 18, 2013, 12:01 am 
Weight watcher

Thanks Andrew :cheers:
The long tail raised the top speed around Auto Club Speedway from 128 MPH to 133 MPH, so yep, it sure did!

PostPosted: December 18, 2013, 1:33 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Awesome car and commentary, Moti! Good to see you back in the 'hood!

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: December 18, 2013, 12:20 pm 

Did you ever revisit, or have you considered revisiting, the head fairing in addition to the long tail and wings?

Also follow my build on blogspot, tumblr, or instagram and twitter (GarageOdyssey)

PostPosted: December 18, 2013, 3:38 pm 
Weight watcher

It's sitting on my workbench, waiting for final trimming and paint.

PostPosted: March 10, 2015, 1:10 pm 
Weight watcher

Guess I should update this build log as well.
Creampuff is currently under the knife for some major upgrades.
I feel that I have explored the capabilities of the car with the stock engine in full, last trip to the dyno showed how tired it is -
Yep, that 101.7 whp and 86.5 wtq. Pathetic :lol:

This however, did not stop me from getting under the 2:00 mark at Buttonwillow raceway config 13CW (which is the one that all cars in socal are "judged" by).
Sub 2 mins is considered fast for these cars, with only ~100 ponies on tap it is flying.
Here's a video of my 2nd best lap from the Global Time Attack Super Lap Battle, make sure you watch it in full 1080HD for full quality, otherwise YT compression makes it look like crap -
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XEcSGDUYd0[/youtube]

Some pics from the same event, which was the last competition I ran before the tear down -

PostPosted: March 10, 2015, 6:21 pm 

Nice build. I've owned 11 miatas and will always have a soft spot for them.

Have you considered a simple diffuser under the long tail for better pressure recovery? Or is there not enough flow under the car to be worth it?

PostPosted: March 11, 2015, 1:20 am 
Weight watcher

I have considered many things.
There's enough pressure under the car to do wonders, it's all a matter of time, cost and upgrade path.
In regards to where this car is heading, a simple diffuser will be a loss in every one of the three ;)

PostPosted: March 11, 2015, 10:06 am 

Tunnel-Miata! :twisted:

Also follow my build on blogspot, tumblr, or instagram and twitter (GarageOdyssey)