LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Sexy Volvo...
PostPosted: February 20, 2019, 4:41 pm 

A break from the car..

Had a chance over the President's Holiday Weekend (Feb 16-18) to get over to the coast and get on the ATVs at Pismo Beach.. We were back in the dunes when my buddy Mark stopped because he could smell burning plastic, and he thought it was his bike... We soon saw the column of smoke from over near the coastline letting us know that it was someone else on fire in the dunes.. That sucks. I have no idea what the story was here, but something went horribly wrong and she became fully involved.. we heard that all occupants got out just fine.. A bad day for them for sure :cry: It was odd because on this trip in particular, we noted how there were more 'street cars' (read not dune worthy) than normally seen that were running around in the dunes..

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: February 26, 2019, 12:59 pm 

Feb 23-24, 2019

Lower Control Arm Woes...

This would bore most, so I'll go light on the details.. I've been using a Volvo 1800 used bits supplier on Ebay that I likely won't use anymore.. too many mistakes and delays.. The snafu of late was trying to get me the proper passenger (right) LCA.. He sent me a left in error.. a week and a half later he sends me the correct side (black one in the pics), but it's been cut/welded, and is about 1" too short- WTF?!

So I improvised.. luckily these arms are symmetrical side to side other than the sway bar mount, so I cut/welded/grafted a 'correct' arm together, something I could have, should have done weeks ago..

A bit delayed and frustrated, but forward motion is a good thing...

Here are several pics of the process of making the 'good' passenger LCA...

-ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 26, 2019, 1:04 pm 

Steering Idler Arm and Taillights..

The last piece of the puzzle was the steering idler arm.. you can see in the pics where mine broke.. replacement is now installed...

Also had a chance to finish the taillight mod.. I've decided I like it :D

The 1800 is now back on it's feet.. still need to get it aligned and then off to the body shop to see how bad ($$$) I'm in it for paint and body work.. I'm not looking forward to this part :roll:

-ccrunner

PostPosted: February 26, 2019, 7:06 pm 

ccrunner wrote:
on this trip in particular, we noted how there were more 'street cars' (read not dune worthy) than normally seen that were running around in the dunes..

Yikes! :shock: So tell me, if you take your daily driver and have a mishap like that off roading, does you auto insurance cover you?

ccrunner wrote:
So I improvised..

And so you can, you definitely have the skills to do so :cheers:

Awesome rebuild ccrunner, kudos!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 12, 2019, 3:22 pm 

March 9/10, 2019

I'm usually pretty good about taking pictures, but not so much this go around.. So here's an update, sans new pictures, to at least mark progress in some way..

The car still has body damage, but it's back in service! I've chased down the last of the suspension issues, and it's getting me to and from work again.. Some things I've recently chased down..

-The stock headliner/frame is back in.. as you can see in the old pics I've lifted and placed here, it just doesn't look right without it's OEM headliner.. Now that it's back in (I'll try and get a pic soon), I've lost some much-needed headroom, so I'm thinking I'll take an inch or so out of the seat bottoms to get the clearance back..

-Had JL rebuild my 300-4 amp.. they took about 5 weeks to do it, but it now sounds outstanding.. turns out I had a few plugs/switches that were glitching- such clean sound now

-Visors.. last year I had a 'local' guy do some of my interior- never again.. sub-par work is saying it nicely.. just had the visor done again and this time they turned out nice..

-Rear seat bottoms.. lumpy-bumpy.. again, local interior guy's work.. Now I'm learning how to do my own upholstery (these are just covers, how tough could it be?).. they're turning out much nicer now..

-Rear seat interior 'quarter panels'... In the Jensen/early style, they sort of wrap around.. mine had the adhesive let go, so I had to pull them, pull the fabric off, and use stronger adhesive so they didn't sag.. now they're taut and clean, just as they were designed to look :cheers:

-Switched the OEM headlights over to Hella semi-sealed H4 bulbs.. Nice! Much better light and pattern.. I'm toying with the idea of LED bulbs, but these H4s are a nice upgrade for now..

-bought a new windshield- waiting to install (old one is hazy/pitted in bad shape)-- still trying to locate a 'good' Volvo 1800 rear window glass--... also bought new front/rear glass trim.. PO never had this chrome trim on this car, so I'm looking forward to getting it back to OEM spec, which I think looks much nicer..

-Modded taillights (recently documented here)

-had a 4-wheel alignment done..

-Tires are all 205-55-16 on 16x6 rims now (prior had 16x7 rear wheels with 225 tires).. I like the balanced look now, but I needed 1" rear wheel spacers to achieve it..

updates as they happen- ideally with pictures :roll:

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 13, 2019, 2:30 pm 

Time to uproot our lives it seems..

My wife has this dream to live near the coast, and it looks like it's going to come true over the next few months.. after nearly 20 years living in the central valley in California (HOT!!!), we're moving to live near Santa Maria, CA, with our home situated about 10 minutes from the coast.. This is a big deal for us, as we're both teachers (read not rich), and CA coastal real estate can be pricey.. Long story short, we found new jobs over there, found a house we think we can afford, and our kids are cool with it.. So we'll see- super stressful in this short term, but we're hoping it's a wise choice for the long term (we're still about 10 years away from retirement)..

I'll still have a 2-car garage to work in, and my storage space for parts/cars/bits will actually increase a bit :cheers:

I put this here because it will slow down both the Berk builds and this 1800 resto, but I'll still get to piddle with it here and there until late June-ish, when I hope the moving dust has settled and I can get back to fabbing stuff..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 15, 2019, 12:56 pm 

...live near Santa Maria, CA, with our home situated about 10 minutes from the coast..

Wow, small world. Sounds like you are talking about Guadalupe or Nipomo. I live in Arroyo Grande.

I have been enjoying your builds for a while. As a matter of fact, your build logs are my favorite as you are short on talk and long on progress. I am impressed at your ability to consistently move forward while holding down a job and family.

Speaking of jobs, what are the odds you will be working for the Lucia Mar school district? My daughter's school got a new principal this year; a guy from Bakersfield...his name rhymes with "rumbles". Are we being systematically invaded by valley-folk?

In any case, congratulations and good luck on the move.
I will keep an eye out for your cars. I would gladly buy you a beer or two for all the hours of enjoyment your build logs have given me.

Welcome to the Central Coast...it may be expensive, but it is worth every penny.

Tony

PostPosted: March 21, 2019, 11:03 am 

Thank you AGLurker (Tony) for chiming in :cheers:

...Are we being systematically invaded by valley-folk?... ..I wouldn't be surprised; it's surface-of-the-sun hot here in the valley :shock: It will be nice to get away from the extremes in the weather..

...I will keep an eye out for your cars. I would gladly buy you a beer or two.. Sold! I don't know a soul over there, so I will enthusiastically take you up on this :wink: ..Matter of fact, I'm entered to show the 1800 in this year's 'Pismo Beach Car Show' (June 1st).. If you attend, leave a note on the car if I'm not nearby and I'll call you.. That is assuming I get this thing together in time, which leads to today's post...

-------------------------------------

A Bit of Bodywork (March 16-17, 2019)

So I've got the cootie-bug that's going around with my students, and it seems mine has developed into pneumonia.. yuck :ack: I don't want to be one of those old people that carries on and on about what ails them, but woof, this has kicked me hard! Enough of that.. it's slowed me down, but not entirely..

I found the gumption to de-skin my 'new' 1800E door so that I can re-skin my 1963 1800's door (I would have liked to just bolt the new door on and use it as-is, but it has a bit of rust in its lower inner structure that I'd have to dig out, so it's just easier to swap skins).. I'll get some better pics of the overall body damage later, but in actuality it's not too bad.. sure is ugly though :(

So in the next few weeks I need to swap out door skins and get this thing into a shop.. I'll go as far as burning in the fender patch and skinning the door, but the N600 body and paintwork I did a few years ago taught me that the rest of it is best left to the pros.. swallow hard, pay your money, and move on..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 21, 2019, 12:46 pm 

Man. You must have a BIG PAIR. I haven't gotten brave enough to do something like that (yet). Did you section the inside panel to help save the skin? Or is there some other motive?

P.S. I feel for you. I'm 90% over the bug that bit me over 2 weeks ago.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 11:39 am 

@rx7.. yes, I sectioned out/ gutted the donor's inner-door to best preserve the skin to use on my own inner door..

The following several posts are really just a picture catch-up of several odd tasks I've been doing.. We're moving in 2 months, and I'm trying desperately to get the 1800 into the body shop before home life and moving gets too crazy.. I'm doing all the the tedious time-consuming (read: expen$ive) metal work that I can to try and make the paintwork less $$ painful..

Below are pics of the new (used OEM) door 'swoosh' trim pieces (I only needed the passenger side, but they sold as a pair), and a few shots of the donor door skin.. I know it doesn't look like it, but this skin had several coats of paint that took multiple Jasco/stipper sessions to remove..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 11:44 am 

March 24, 2019

Here are a few shots of the body damage... luckily more cosmetic than structural.. part of me thinks I got lucky, and part of me is still pissed at myself that this happened at all.. I'm hoping with time my OCD will let me forgive myself :roll:

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 11:57 am 

March 2019

Here are a few shots of interior re-dos... I'm still not entirely happy with the way the front seat bottoms are turning out, but instead of channeling 1 or 2 inches out of the floorboards to gain headroom, I chose to trim about an inch of foam out of the seat bases.. A purist will immediately see what I've done, where I suspect most others would just gloss over it.. In the end, I've gotten about as much headroom as I'm going to get (with the altered foam bottoms and the OEM headliner in place).. This car has miles of legroom, but not as much headroom to match.. In the end, it works and the look is growing on me..

I do like the way the OEM headliner went in and looks.. It's hard to get too excited about a headliner, but it gives the clean look I was hoping for..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 12:33 pm 

First pic is the 'after' shot of getting the rear seat interior quarter panel to line up with the lines on front door panels.. Months ago when I originally installed the interior, I was off on each side by quite a bit, and didn't realize it until I was done :roll: .. this was my chance to go back in and fix it..

The Stealth Sound System..

Nothing really new here except the recently rebuilt amp is now back up in place.. I'm pretty sure I'm now done with the sound system as it's in, it works glitch-free, and to my ear, it sounds incredible.. I know I've said it before, but a well designed, balanced system truly changes the drive.. it took several tweaks to get right, but I'm so happy with the way the stereo has turned out.. As you can see I still need to build a center console to conceal the head unit, but that's for another day..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 1:12 pm 

March 23-24, 2019

With the 'new' skin off, I thought it best to use POR 15 around the perimeter where the pinch is metal-on-metal.. these are the areas in nearly any car that are prone to rust, so easiest to try and avoid that while it's all apart.. The perimeter of the inner door will get the same..

Volvo made a slight change in the (later) spacing of the door handle mounting holes, so I had to retrofit my 63 handle to this later skin.. Same thing with the door trim, so I had to weld up all of the holes that I won't be needing..

The last few pics here are just to show the depth of the hit/damage..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 1:23 pm 

March 24, 2019

Last few pics from this weekend.. The damage to my 1963 'early' style inner door was minimal, so it's being reused.. With the skin off, it show some detail of how I retrofitted keyless door locks in.. They actually went in pretty nicely without much issue.. I've had the keyless entry in service for the last year or so.. works great :D

--ccrunner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 44  Next