LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Sexy Volvo...
PostPosted: May 31, 2018, 12:59 pm 

I much prefer that after. :cheers:

What's the difference between POR-15 and love? POR-15 is forever. :lol:

06 325xi
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: August 17, 2018, 11:21 am 

Summer 2018

It's been awhile since I've updated, and now this build log is almost 3 months behind.. I'll catch it up as I have time over the next little while to get it current..

Early June 2018 I took the 1800 out to the annual Pismo Beach car show.. At this point the interior was still not in the car, but I took it out anyway.. Can't quite put my finger on why, but I didn't really enjoy myself... It was a good show- lots of interesting cars, but it just wasn't 'fun' for me... little did I know this was to set the tone for this summer :(

Also included here are a few pics of work on the back seat.. Several months ago I had a local guy do some of the interior work for me, which I now regret having done.. The work done just wasn't what I had in my mind's eye, so I'm having to go back and redo most of it (for example, the rear seat pads in the pic had to be redone because they didn't snug down into place as they should have.. a minor detail, but just the sort of thing that bugs me).. I have to learn that whenever I farm something out, I need to lower my expectations.. Anyway, the red arrow indicates where I needed to form a tunnel for some hidden wiring to eventually go...

More coming soon..

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: August 17, 2018, 1:18 pm 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
Hit your local pic-n-pull and get some of that heavy plastic wiring duct. Glue it down, no problems. No cutting or welding

PostPosted: August 31, 2018, 12:10 pm 

Summer 2018..

I'm behind on posting for this build by almost 3 months, so in the next few days/weeks I will get it caught up with an almost shotgun approach to posting pictures.. much of the work done over the summer was the interior, which seemed to take forever, but there's some other stuff mixed in as well..

These first pics show 'modern' retractable belts being retrofitted into the car's C pillar void.. This car did in fact have factory 3 point belts, but they were not retractable, and just sort of layed about when not in use... I put these in to clean things up a bit.. Needed a minor cut out in the interior C pillar cover (red lines in pic), which will not show (much) once everything is layered in.. The seatbelts now truly 'dissappear' into the car..

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 31, 2018, 12:46 pm 

That's My Jam 8)

The back seat of this early 1800 is a complex thing.. this is sometimes referred to as the "Jensen" style back seat, which I prefer (later models had a more conventional looking flip-down back seat design), but goodness, it's like folding origami as you try to reassemble things.. It all goes in one way only, and in a very specific order..

These pics deal with the 'rack' (for lack of a better term) that creates a cave-like structure behind the back seat.. it's really a wasted little space, but it looks cool, and if you wanted to, you could put your lunch or some other small bit into the cave as you drive :)

In my case, it provides a great space to hang some big, heavy, hot amps.. A bit of background on these amps.. a few years ago we bought a used 2003 F250, and after owning it for about a year, I discovered these not-inexpensive amps under the rear seat :shock: . The seller made no mention of them, and to my surprise, despite being a few years old, they work great! What a treat.. I decided to pirate them out of the truck and work them into the 1800 build.. Not to get all weird on you, but to me, hearing my favorite music on a system that is loud, clear, and powerful, turned up maybe a little too loud, with the base telling your body and bones that it's there, approaches an almost religious experience (told you I'd try not to get all weird on you :wink: ).. Anyway, at very least a well thought out audio system transforms the driving experience.. So with that in mind, I had to find a place to hide these amps and keep them cool, so up under the OEM-designed cave they go.. The upcoming pics will make their positioning make more sense, as some of these pics show the rack upside down...

--ccrunner

PostPosted: August 31, 2018, 1:36 pm 

Lining the back seat "cave"

This shows some pretty straightforward upholstery work as I cover the panels for the void (cave) behind the back seat.. In this case I've slightly altered the order and way the panels are supposed to be installed as I don't want any exposed fasteners (as was the case with Volvo's OEM design).. trying to keep it as clean in design as possible..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: August 31, 2018, 2:28 pm 

More fun in the back seat :lol:

These pics show how the retractable seat belts will live under/behind the back seat rack, and how the rack itself mounts into the car.. The old red panels are just set in place to show how it will look when the new panels drop in..

*These pics also show that there will be no fun of any kind to be had in this tiniest of back seats :lol:

--ccrunner

PostPosted: August 31, 2018, 2:44 pm 

...These pics show some detail on the rear deck panel that will end up covering the amps.. also shows early stages of wiring in the audio gear..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: August 31, 2018, 3:14 pm 

More Seat belt detail..

Now that I have these modern, fancy hidden retractable seat belts, I've got to route them to where I can reach them for real world use. I was walking the rows at my local Pick-a-Part on 40% off weekend, when I spotted some seat belt guides in an '03 Camaro that I thought would work.. A few Rivnuts in my B-pillars later, they're in their new home, working and fitting as I'd hope they would..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: August 31, 2018, 3:33 pm 

Of course it's not always possible, but where I can I like to remove the fastener heads that show, unless they add to the look of the piece.. By slightly altering what Volvo did with their design, I was able to get rid of all of the screw heads in the back seat..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: August 31, 2018, 5:43 pm 

June 14, 2018; A trip to San Diego, CA

It can't always be about the cars... ...Lisa and I attended SDSU back in the mid 1990s, and try to make it back down to SD every few years or so.. such a cool city.. but it's as the saying goes; a nice place to visit, but you can't afford to live there :P

Anyway, in all of these years, I've never taken the time to visit the USS Midway Museum (aircraft carrier) until this trip..

If you are even remotely interested in ships/airplanes/helicopters/ or just history for history's sake, you must visit this carrier.. I spent about 3 hours there, and it wasn't enough.. they've done such a nice job with the hardware, props, videos, and even the many, many docents walking around- there really is too much to see, and at least to me, it's all pretty darn interesting..

They had one of my favorite planes there, an F4U Corsair (first several pics).. I couldn't take my eyes off of it..

I've never served, and I don't have a strong military background in my family, but I've always been fascinated by the pilots and planes of the WWII era.. the fact that this plane is still here sitting on an aircraft carrier in San Diego is amazing in and of itself..

Take the time to drop in if you can.. it's so worth it :cheers:

*aside... If you're into this type of thing, watch the movie "Dunkirk," the footage of the Spitfires alone is worth it :D

--ccrunner

PostPosted: September 1, 2018, 8:36 am 
We are Slotus!

Great Pictures!!! Love the old WWII warbirds, and the heroes they represent. The "Droopy wings" on the Corsair make that plane, once you see it, you can't forget it. Like the rounded wings on a Spitfire, or the profile of a P-51 Mustang. Or a B-17... I'll stop, I'm sure you get it...

There's a carrier, a destroyer and a WWII vintage submarine in the harbor at Charleston SC that I visited a few years back. Makes quite an impression. Try walking thru a WWII submarine someday, if you get the chance... There's nowhere in the damn thing I can stand up straight. The torpedo men's bunks were literally right beside the torpedoes. Instead of putting your arm around your wife, you could hug a few hundred pounds of explosive... They really were/are The Greatest Generation.

There is (or at least was) a neat little car museum right next door to the San Diego Zoo. I was in SD for work some years ago, and went to the zoo on an off day. It was a hot day, the zoo smelled like a zoo and 27 school buses unloaded right in front of me. Then I saw the car museum. Skipped the zoo, had a great afternoon in the museum. If it's still there, you might give it a try sometime.

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 11, 2018, 12:11 pm 

Remote Keyless Entry

I love keyless entry on any car, let alone a classic car where it wasn't an option..

This car's door design lent itself well to this mod (note this in an early 1800 door, which allows for the upper section to come out entirely), and other than being a bit of time to install, it went in pretty easily.. keyless entry is so convenient on a daily driver..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: September 11, 2018, 12:24 pm 

Are you going with a passive keyless entry system, or the more traditional fob one?
I've got factory PKE on my RX-8, and love it.

I also got a cheap-ish remote start + PKE setup for the TR7 build, but haven't reached the point of install yet.
It ended up being much cheaper than a new ignition switch... :roll:

PostPosted: September 11, 2018, 1:12 pm 

300D50 wrote:
Are you going with a passive keyless entry system, or the more traditional fob one?
I've got factory PKE on my RX-8, and love it.

I also got a cheap-ish remote start + PKE setup for the TR7 build, but haven't reached the point of install yet.
It ended up being much cheaper than a new ignition switch... :roll:

I've gone with an old-school keyfob type.. I was going to install a PKE/push start button, but project creep has set in so badly on this build that I've got to draw the line somewhere :lol:

--ccrunner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 44  Next