LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Sexy Volvo...
PostPosted: December 22, 2017, 8:20 pm 

I continue to love this build. One of the crew in high school was a bit better off than the rest of us, and somehow managed to get a P1800 sport wagon, which still ranks as one of my all time favorite cars.

I grew up in Michigan where messing with someone's ride, let alone their classic, invites homicide. So, while I admire your restraint, I just do not understand the idea of touching someone else's car. I am glad the car is fine, that you did not get in hot water, and that there were consequences, no matter how light.

PostPosted: January 10, 2018, 1:09 pm 

January 2018- The 1,000 Miles Update..

The sorting/shakedown process can take a long time.. I make a list of things that bug me, fix them, then I find myself writing an all new list of other, usually lesser things that bother me, then do it all over again.. I'm in the middle of doing just that, and realized that I've just gone 1,000 miles.. not very far really, but with each passing mile I gain a little more confidence in the car, and I learn it's quirks and 'personality'..

In no particular order, here's where it is...

---The oil leak problem that plagued the engine is magically gone.. at first it seemed to be the front main, then the rear, and for quite a while now, no engine oil leak at all.. I chalk this up to dried out seals from disuse, and now that it's being daily driven, the seals have swelled and are happy- I know I'm happy :lol: ..

---The brakes still aren't what I want, but I'll go back after them later..

---I need to fab in a left foot dead pedal and hidden cup holder- it's the little things :)

---I'm 99% sure the overboost issue has been solved.. with much back and forth datalogging with Trifecta, it seems the issue was a poorly adjusted wastegate rod (some PO surely thought there was some free HP there).. I'm still making tiny adjustments on it, trying to adjust it right up to the point of overboost, then back it down just a touch.. As is, the car is a riot to drive; gobs of torque, and enough power that I won't let my teenage daughter drive it's just too much power, and she's a newer driver.. I scared myself in the rain the other day- when it's wet you have to really drive this thing like a little old lady or it will bite you.. I think I'm pretty near done adjusting for power..

---The front and rear suspension is pretty much dialed in- she has minimal body roll, and a respectable ride.. smooth, nice ride on the freeway.. just glides along nice at 70/80 if traffic allows.. it's a pleasant little car to drive.. If I get greedy for handling, I might swap in an IPD front sway, but I'm pretty happy as-is..

---I need to pull the headliner and apply a 'headliner' directly to the inside of the roof skin.. I'm 6'2" with a long torso, and I could use the hidden 1 or 2 inches of clearance to be found up above the stock headliner.. It won't be correct, but it will look clean and will keep my head from brushing the headliner

---AC needs to be charged up for the first time..

---Waiting on the interior to come in from VP parts.. should be here in a month or so.. Will be nice to install it and the stereo and have this feel more like a 'complete' car..

---Has a minor transmission leak, I think at the tail/output seal.. I'm experimenting with a sealant/oil treatment, but if it doesn't bring the seal back, it's still a pretty easy fix..

...Surely other things will pop up as this goes along, but overall, it's coming together nicely.. I've actually begun collecting bits for my next project as this one is phasing out of being an active build and becoming a daily driver.. I'll start a different build log on the new thing within a few weeks/months as the 1800 action winds down..

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: January 10, 2018, 1:52 pm 

Quote:
---The oil leak problem that plagued the engine is magically gone.. at first it seemed to be the front main, then the rear, and for quite a while now, no engine oil leak at all.. I chalk this up to dried out seals from disuse, and now that it's being daily driven, the seals have swelled and are happy- I know I'm happy  ..

The early motors did not have seals as you might think, they were felt wipers that did more to keep small rocks out than keep oil in! :shock:

PostPosted: January 11, 2018, 8:26 am 

As for the brakes, remember the front brakes set your basic braking performance. If you need additional braking, upgrade the fronts and adjust the rears to match. A good plan is too use as much front brake as you can stuff behind inside the wheels. I've got 11 1/4" rotors with 2 1/2" calipers (Chevy S10) inside 15" wheels on the Alpine. There's no such thing as too much brake.

Bill

PostPosted: January 24, 2018, 12:10 pm 

Jan 20/21 2018

Chased down the dome lights to make them functional.. wired in 4 total; 2 up in the C pillars (pic), and 2 up under the dash.. nice to have these little bits and systems come back together as I'm using the car as a daily driver now... (although I still need a cup holder :lol: )

Without going into a big long diatribe about getting my EPS wired up and functioning properly, I'll just say this: I'm in it for 2 controllers and 2 junk yard columns to try and make it work... all of my frustration has melted away as this week I got it to work, and it is wonderful! (my trouble getting it all to work came down to a faulty $30 control box..).. This is one of the single best mods I've made to this 1800-- Power Steering truly transforms the driving experience in this little GT.. If you're interested in EPS for your vintage car (no matter the make, model, or year, seek out seller "epowersteering" on Ebay for the controller bits and details.. the parts are NOT expensive like the bolt in kits you've seen, particularly if you do your own fab work)

The pics show (barely) where the components are located in this car.. my goal was to have it appear as stock/factory as possible.. It was a little extra work, but I grafted the top of the Volvo OEM column into the GM donor column so I could retain the stock 1800 steering wheel and turn signal stalk.. Standing at the car, and sitting in the seats, you can't see any of the EPS components..

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 24, 2018, 5:07 pm 

Getting that EPS finally functional must be a relief. Congratulations! :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 24, 2018, 10:51 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Does that EPS knob allow you to dial in the amount of help you get?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 25, 2018, 12:38 pm 

Yes rx7- so nice to finally check this one off of the list :D

carguy- Yes, the knob goes from "0" assist (knob full counter-clockwise), to knob full clockwise which is "100%" assist (you could turn the steering wheel lock to lock with one finger on flat tires at the 100% setting if you wanted to.. it's actually too much assist for real world driving).. in the event of an electrical issue/failure, the assist simply goes to "0," and it steers just like a stock 1800 without assist..

I'm experimenting with the level of assist right now, and I'm finding it really doesn't need much.. I turn the dial up to about a 1/4 turn off of it's minimum setting and just leave it there... plenty of assist, and still good feedback/feeling at the wheel.. Most guys with this mod seem to experiment a bit, find the sweet spot, then just leave the knob alone...

I know the Ebay seller "epowersteering" now offers a kit that includes a vehicle speed sensor (speed sensitive steering), but I'll likely just stick with what I've got...

--ccrunner

PostPosted: February 5, 2018, 12:03 pm 

Feb 3-4, 2018

Little stuff this weekend.. I'm chasing a ghost 'flicker' in my CEL light- still haven't killed that issue... Been having trouble with the accuracy of a few gauges, so I went after them this weekend.. The water temp gauge has always read too low, and jumps around somewhat erratically.. Installed a new sending unit into the upper radiator line and problem solved... I've been monitoring water temps from a Scangauge II, and now both gauges agree perfectly- nice!

The fuel gauge has alway read about 1/8 tank too high.. I pulled the sender and made a minor adjustment, paying particular attention to having it accurate at empty.. Not sure if I've nailed this one, but it's very close.. one of those things you've got to drive for awhile and watch..

Speaking of fuel... I've run about 2K miles now, and I'm calculating mileage to be about 25-ish city, and 33-ish highway.. It's hard to know if this is accurate because I'm still messing around with testing for an overboost condition (stomping on it mercilessly to test the limits), so I still haven't run a full tank driving normally.. Closest to normal was a trip down to Pomona and back several weeks ago where I did about 75 mph and got the 33mpg highway average.. I'm happy with these numbers, and will continue to monitor them..

The interior came in from VP, and just peeking in the boxes, it's beautiful :shock: ... It will be nice to piece it in over the next few months.. I've just pulled the Speedhut gauges and sent them back to swap out the bright white faces for creme faces to better match the car..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: February 5, 2018, 1:20 pm 

!!!!

Need one of these. Less extreme than the exploding Bond car. But only slightly.

06 325xi
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: February 5, 2018, 6:44 pm 
Toyotaphobe

300D50 wrote:
!!!!

Need one of these. Less extreme than the exploding Bond car. But only slightly.

I can think of a dozen fun things to do with that!!!!

Hey JD, I think we've solved your cone problem.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 13, 2018, 2:48 pm 

Feb 10-11, 2018

Oh Happy Day! I believe the poor braking issues are fixed :cheers: As was suggested, I swapped out all of the pads.. With the new pads bedded in, the car now stops as it should- YAY! :D In hindsight I don't know if I just had 'old' pads with aged resin(?), or more likely; When I first installed these pads and put the car into service, that I created my own problems by REALLY working the brakes and severely overheating them.. I'm almost certain it's the latter, and that I glazed them myself :roll: (it's hard to see in the pic, but the 'old' pads had a shine to them)..

It makes all of the difference knowing that this car will now respond predictably in a panic situation.. The new pads are 'grippy' (as brake pads are supposed to be), and the pedal feel is nice... The peace of mind I have in the car now is priceless.. I still like the idea of going back one day and adding a booster, but for now I'm very happy as-is..

=================================

Onto some other stuff... My OEM turn signal stalk was tired and wouldn't self-cancel for left turns (yup, I was in fact the old guy in the old car who perpetually left his turn signal on :roll: ).. got a replacement and installed it...

--ccrunner

PostPosted: February 13, 2018, 2:59 pm 

Feb 10-11, cont'd..

I've switched all my gauges over to Speedhut units, so what to do with the unusual stock oil/water gauge (1st pic)? In my effort to clean up the dash and integrate the heating and AC vents into the dash facade, I decided to turn it into my 3rd of 3 vents, and incorporate the CEL and Battery/Voltage LED lights into it (red and yellow).. I did this for functionality as well as for looks- I didn't want to lose the stock chrome bezel that Volvo used.. I still have to fab an anchor plate for it to mount, but you get an idea of how it will turn out..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: February 14, 2018, 12:04 pm 

That's my jam! 8)

Onto the sound system.. Over the next few months I'll be installing the interior, but I still have some foundation work to do. I've already fabbed the amp mounts up into the rear seat void, and now my attention turns to how to hide the radio head unit in plain sight.. I've chosen not to install the radio up into the dash in the stock location (I'm after a stealth system), but instead to fab one into a yet-to-be built center console.. I want several things out of this console: A storage area (oddly, the 1800 doesn't have a glovebox), an arm rest, and an area to conceal the stereo head unit.

It's pretty narrow in between the front seats- the stock Volvo driveshaft tunnel chokes down to 4.5" just behind the shifter, so that's what I've got to work with. The head unit I've chosen is really designed for the off road/marine crowd.. It's a Rockford Fosgate "PMX3".. it's got all the bells and whistles I think I need (and many I don't :lol: ), but most importantly, it's exactly 4.5" wide.. If this audio system pulls together as I have it in my mind's eye, you won't know any of it is there, other than when I'm shamelessly blasting my bad 1980's music that is :wink: (I make no apologies, I love me some 80's music, and despite a bit of hearing loss beginning to set in, I like it loud :headbang: ..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: February 14, 2018, 12:17 pm 

The console base...

The first pic shows what I'm starting with.. I need to transform the stock round hump into a flat platform; I also need to move the inboard seat belt anchor points up a few inches.. Finally, I need to carve a divot into the back side of the shifter dome to snug the head unit up as far forward toward the shifter as possible for ease of reach/ ergonomics.. It's probably only a minor benefit, but I'm also thinking this procedure will also help stiffen the floor/chassis a bit, which is never a bad thing..

--ccrunner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 44  Next