LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Sexy Volvo...
PostPosted: May 12, 2020, 8:45 am 

Next the insurance companies will jack up all of our rates because they are not getting the profit they need due to people not using cars to commute to work. The whole "rebate" that is currently going on with the insurance companies was, I believe, due to people changing their policies to reduce living expenses and if it was not enough reduction, people were cancelling or drastically changing their policies and the insurance companies were trying to prevent customers from even having that conversation or thought process. They said "lets distract them and make them think we, the insurance company. are looking out for them".

I am sorry for hi jacking as well. But I have never been a fan of insurance. I have a lot to protect us, but still do not like it!

PostPosted: May 17, 2020, 1:02 am 

I just saw this same model Volvo on Chasing Classic Cars that has the record for mileage. It was driven 3.5 Million miles. That guy enjoyed it!

PostPosted: September 21, 2020, 6:20 pm 

September 2020

This doesn't really belong here, but I took the Volvo out to get a coffee (I don't drive it much since Covid hit last March) and spotted these 2 old trucks where I had not noticed them before- someone moved them here on purpose..

I daily drove a 53 F100 for years- sweet trucks.. I knew there were heavier versions in the "F" line, but I had never heard of an F-500 before.. I looked it over, and rust has claimed most of it.. maybe the grille, rare front fenders, and a few minor bits to save, but she's mostly a lost cause.. Her stock 6 cylinder is still there, but she hasn't been under her own power in a long, long time. Covered in moss.. I'll bet this old truck could tell some stories..

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: December 6, 2020, 11:53 pm 

I just stumbled on your page. Wow, I love these P1800’s. Your fab skills are tops, very nice work!

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: December 9, 2020, 12:18 pm 

Tundra 7 wrote:
I just stumbled on your page. Wow, I love these P1800’s. Your fab skills are tops, very nice work!

Thank you Steve.. I adore this car.. one of those times where it's turning out better than I ever thought it would. She's a joy to drive- such a pretty body- Volvo nailed this one :)

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 9, 2020, 1:26 pm 

ccrunner wrote:
Tundra 7 wrote:

Thank you Steve.. I adore this car.. one of those times where it's turning out better than I ever thought it would. She's a joy to drive- such a pretty body- Volvo nailed this one :)

--ccrunner

Just thinking out loud here. You got me thinking when you said a “joy to drive”. Since this is close in size the the GT I’ll be doing. Do you have any suspension recommendations?, things you did that worked well. With my seven there isn’t much to it but now this is a true GT just wondering if you did things you really like.

PostPosted: December 9, 2020, 3:45 pm 

Just thinking out loud here. You got me thinking when you said a “joy to drive”. Since this is close in size the the GT I’ll be doing. Do you have any suspension recommendations?, things you did that worked well. With my seven there isn’t much to it but now this is a true GT just wondering if you did things you really like.

It comes down to personal preference of course, but there are 2 things that jump to mind that I think were totally worth the time and effort, and suit the car well..

The first is IRS; again, preference.. for a small, light car (sub 2800# /// -my 1800 is 2400#-), I love using the Miata IRS stuff (my last 3 builds have had Miata-based IRS..). In the Volvo the IRS is noticeable in that it's working; soaks up the crappy local roads, and still returns a 'sporty' feel (this is a GT, not a race car).. It was a pain in the ass to set up/fab in, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat 8)

Second thing is Electric Power Steering (EPS).. the Volvo is known for it's slow-speed 'heavy' steering, and EPS solves that issue.. this is maybe my single favorite mod (other than the motor swap).. Sooooo nice to drive and park, and not have to fight/armwrestle the wheel (btw, EPS allowed me to shrink my wheel down too!).. The added weight of your V8 up front might make this mod very appealing.. I went with the "Chevy Equinox/ Saturn Vue" donor option because it lives up under the dash and was fairly inexpensive, but there are other EPS options too.. Some people will tell you there's nothing wrong with the 1800's stock steering, but to me EPS has truly transformed the car.. Before Covid I dailied this car- such a pleasure to eat up the miles with these mods..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: December 9, 2020, 6:42 pm 

ccrunner wrote:

It comes down to personal preference of course, but there are 2 things that jump to mind that I think were totally worth the time and effort, and suit the car well..

The first is IRS; again, preference.. for a small, light car (sub 2800# /// -my 1800 is 2400#-), I love using the Miata IRS stuff (my last 3 builds have had Miata-based IRS..). In the Volvo the IRS is noticeable in that it's working; soaks up the crappy local roads, and still returns a 'sporty' feel (this is a GT, not a race car).. It was a pain in the ass to set up/fab in, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat 8)

Second thing is Electric Power Steering (EPS).. the Volvo is known for it's slow-speed 'heavy' steering, and EPS solves that issue.. this is maybe my single favorite mod (other than the motor swap).. Sooooo nice to drive and park, and not have to fight/armwrestle the wheel (btw, EPS allowed me to shrink my wheel down too!).. The added weight of your V8 up front might make this mod very appealing.. I went with the "Chevy Equinox/ Saturn Vue" donor option because it lives up under the dash and was fairly inexpensive, but there are other EPS options too.. Some people will tell you there's nothing wrong with the 1800's stock steering, but to me EPS has truly transformed the car.. Before Covid I dailied this car- such a pleasure to eat up the miles with these mods..

--ccrunner

2 good suggestions. The GT has independent up front already, nice and stout too. I did look into the colbalt power steering. That looks real easy and compact. This will be worked in, I can’t see a negative with it at all. Thanks

PostPosted: December 9, 2020, 8:13 pm 

I can't say one is better than the other. I am implementing the Prius EPS in my MGB-GT build.

I will have enough challenges to solve before I go to IRS. Anyone know of a 3.3 Diff ratio IRS?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 9, 2020, 8:46 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
I can't say one is better than the other. I am implementing the Prius EPS in my MGB-GT build.

I will have enough challenges to solve before I go to IRS. Anyone know of a 3.3 Diff ratio IRS?

I was looking at the Prius EPS today online and it looked like the Cobalt would be easier to use, idk I’m going to have to follow your plan. You know the front Suspension of the MG is very capable stock. My buddy has a V8 roadster I’ve driven and it really is spot on. I’m not changing anything up front from stock other than a little stiffer spring. What RPM are you looking at running on the Hwy with this? I’ve been wondering what range I want to be in. My first though is no higher than 2300@75mph but it’s a guess. You can get 3.25 in a Ford 8.8 IRS from a TBird and Explorer.

PostPosted: January 21, 2021, 2:02 am 

January 20, 2021

I took a trip down to San Diego in the 1800 last summer (Aug 2020), and on the trip my mono/ subwoofer amp gave out. I was bummed because I lovvvvvvve driving this car and playing my music criminally loud..

So I finished the trip without any bass, and promised myself to have the amp rebuilt at some point. I'm actually running 2 JL amps, and I had the other one rebuilt a few years ago, so it's not shocking that this one needed some love too. Anyway, I recently got the rebuilt mono 500/1 amp back, and I had a chance to reinstall it today. Hard to tell from the pics, but the amps live up under the ledge in the Jensen rear seat cove..

Seems to be working great.. now I have to go back and relearn how to adjust/tune it to the car (flipping switches and dialing dials- it's all a little over my head really). Over the next many months I plan to chase some other loose ends on the Volvo and prepare it for some action as Covid seems to be nearing its end/ the vaccine is going out..

-I have BIG plans to get out! drive the Volvo! drive the Berkeley!.. just get OUT and do stuff!! We need our lives back :lol:

--ccrunner

PostPosted: June 30, 2021, 1:03 am 

June 29, 2021

It's been 6 months since I've posted on the Volvo.. sad that I really don't drive it much.. (thanks COVID! :lol: ).. I've owned my little sweetie Volvo 1800 for over 7 years now, and we've decided it's time to send it off to it's next steward. I'm very proud of how this restomod has turned out; it is my hope that the next owner takes it out and DRIVES it as was always intended.. It's such a joy to just bomb around in.. I'm biased, but I've always thought it is just the slinkiest, sexiest car in any parking lot.. an unusual vintage car with modern underpinnings.. I've so enjoyed building and driving it- I'm hopeful the next person will love it as much as I have. It's sort of bittersweet letting this one go, but I've rationalized that it will allow me to fully focus on the upcoming phases on the '59 Berkeley restomod- I've still got a long way to go on that one..

I'll be auctioning it on one of my favorite sites; BAT (Bring A Trailer).. it has been accepted, and will likely go active late July or early August. So now I need to go through the car and tie up the loose ends that I've been putting off; install the trunk seal, fab in the center console, blah blah blah.. there's always something to do.. Mostly it will be cleaning and detailing my little mistress to make her look her best 8)

These two pics show an update from way back when I shrank the OEM steering wheel down to 14." The EPS has allowed me to reduce the wheel diameter (don't need the big-wheel leverage anymore), which I think looks better, and helps get the wheel up off of the driver's legs. After getting the wheel to the state in these pics, I covered it in black leather, but I forgot to take a pic of that :roll: ...I'll get a pic of the 'final' product soon.. I think it turned out nicely :cheers:

--ccrunner

PostPosted: June 30, 2021, 2:57 am 

Dean,

Good luck with the sale. I like BAT although I have never actually done business with them.

Hope the separation won't be painful.

Cheers,

PostPosted: June 30, 2021, 6:17 am 

Really?, OMG! Such a clean build. Well in any case, good luck. I do get it if your not driving them
like you want to. God it almost feels like a death in the family, lol.

PostPosted: July 3, 2021, 9:36 am 

An upcoming driving event 8)

A few months back I signed up for the "Faultline 500" http://www.faultline500.com - it's almost time as it happens next week... It's pretty much right in my backyard, and it promises windy roads with a bunch of gearheads driving interesting vintage cars- looking forward to it. Originally I was going to take the Berkeley, but I've decided to instead take the 1800.. sort of a last fling before she goes to her next home..

So this week I'm prepping the Volvo for pics by finishing the things I've for one reason or another always put off.. You can see in the pic below the wrapped steering wheel is now back in place.. In a bit I'll post pics of the center console that I'm in the process of fabbing..

--ccrunner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next